Fibaro Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibaro Devices

Hi, soon to be ex Vera user here (yes i have been one of those people).

I cant believe i haven't found homeseer until now, about to throw Vera in the garbage, but no use complaining how bad Vera is here as i wouldn't offer any sympathy if i was in your position.

I was trying to confirm that all my devices are supported before i spend all this money. I could not find Fibaro devices under compatible lighting products on the website.

The ones i have specifically are:
    Fibaro Dimmer 2 FGS-212
    Fibaro double relay FGS-222
    Fibaro Single switch 2 FGS-213

As my whole house uses these, i doubt i would get the wife's approval to start from scratch as i am already in the doghouse from Vera causing her so much trouble.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Chris

Originally posted by pricey1985@hotmail.com View Post
    Hi, soon to be ex Vera user here (yes i have been one of those people).

I cant believe i haven't found homeseer until now, about to throw Vera in the garbage, but no use complaining how bad Vera is here as i wouldn't offer any sympathy if i was in your position.

I was trying to confirm that all my devices are supported before i spend all this money. I could not find Fibaro devices under compatible lighting products on the website.

The ones i have specifically are:
    Fibaro Dimmer 2 FGS-212
    Fibaro double relay FGS-222
    Fibaro Single switch 2 FGS-213

As my whole house uses these, i doubt i would get the wife's approval to start from scratch as i am already in the doghouse from Vera causing her so much trouble.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Chris
    Tilsy?

As far as I'm aware yes all of those are supported and many people here use there. There was some issue with either status or power readings on one of the relays if I remember... search on here and you'll find it. Otherwise the normal on/off/dim work the way they should.

Comment

Thanks,
      I did see some issues which got me worried and also not being on the supported list as i thought they were very popular.

Thanks again.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
        Tilsy?
        I know right, what are the chances?!

He's using all the same gear as me (inc multisensors he mentioned on the "other" forum)
        He has had major problems like me
        He has upset his wife like me
        He even has the same name as me (Chris)

But no, he's not me And yet, I am indeed here too looking at jumping ship (in fact a fair way into my testing process).

Comment

Remember if you are jumping ship, the 50% software sale ends tomorrow! (Thursday)
          Jon

Comment

Cheers mate

Also forgot to say he is also in Australia like me.

Swear he's not me though LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
              Cheers mate

Also forgot to say he is also in Australia like me.

Swear he's not me though LOL!
              So similar it's a bit freaky.

In all your testing do you know if homeseer has a similar thing to pleg. Or something that the end result is similar?

Comment

Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
                I know right, what are the chances?!

He's using all the same gear as me (inc multisensors he mentioned on the "other" forum)
                He has had major problems like me
                He has upset his wife like me
                He even has the same name as me (Chris)

But no, he's not me And yet, I am indeed here too looking at jumping ship (in fact a fair way into my testing process).
                Like I said on the other forum... I know your pain. Been there...now I'm here

Comment

Originally posted by pricey1985@hotmail.com View Post
                  So similar it's a bit freaky.

In all your testing do you know if homeseer has a similar thing to pleg. Or something that the end result is similar?
                  HomeSeer events are as or more powerful than PLEG and 1,000 TIMES EASIER!
                  The only complaint I have ever heard (so far) was that PLEG supported sequences and that's hard to do with HomeSeer.

I'm hoping that it may get added into the EasyTrigger plugin but I don't know.

Comment

Thanks. Just one more pro to add to my list of moving or not.
                    List if pretty big now.

Comment

As jeubanks mentioned, "events" in HomeSeer are soooooo much more powerful than scenes in Vera - I've already created some test events that have quite complex triggers and conditions directly in the interface that would have required a lot of code in Vera. In fact there's one I created last night that I hadn't even thought how, and thus even bothered to try, achieving in Vera - I did it in HomeSeer simply because it was so simple and obvious.

And speaking of freaky.... can you imagine what it is like to turn on a Fibaro connected light and it be almost INSTANTLY recognised in HomeSeer, or to click it on off on off on off on off in HomeSeer and it happens instantly and HomeSeer keeps up with you in realtime (whereas Vera would be lucky to even finish understanding that it had turned the light on once in that same timeframe, assuming it even turned on and assuming it doesn't wrongly concluded that it did not turn on and thus turn it back off again (or the reverse - turning it back on a short while after you turned it off).

That said, HomeSeer is the most atrociously horrible 1995 era HTML interface I have ever seen... period. Seriously it is so bad - but the product is so fast and powerful you just have to look past that. Oh and configuring custom device parameters is the pits - you get no acknowledgement that it actually worked (I eventually found out that NOT getting an error is how you know it worked - again things happen straight away in HomeSeer, so I'm just used to the Vera world where doing something like a device parameter change can take minutes so you need to check and know the result). Also knowing what parameters you have set is manual, HomeSeer doesn't keep track of them so you simply type each parameters over the top of the prior one and need to keep a manual record of what you have set (unless it is a device where HomeSeer has had a table pre-created with all the parameters).

However, overall in two days I have already achieved far more than the five months I battled with my bloody Vera. I honestly anticipate that when I re-do my entire existing Vera setup in HomeSeer I will, easily, be able to achieve that in a single night... and then the sky's the limit...

Comment

You just made me daydream for a minute, thinking how nice it would be to press a button and it happens instantly and as intended.

I have spent all morning re setting up my Fibaro double clicks after my factory reset and its giving me a headache.

So....as today is the last day of the sale i think i need to make a decision.

How are you running the software?
                        I like the idea of putting it on a raspberry pi, is there any limitations running from a pi? I see the available plugins says '5 linux'. is that 5 included or max 5?

Also pi software for $75 + HS3Touch for $99 = $174, why would you get the Pro for $299

Sorry for picking your brain, getting a bit excited about all this.

Comment

For testing I was going to spin up a copy of Windows 7 in VMware on my Mac, but given the time constraint with the sale and the amount of Vera vs HomeSeer testing I wanted to do before it ended I instead quickly grabbed an old PC notebook and shoved the HomeSeer trial on that. Spent a night getting familiar with the product on its own, and the next day had a Z-Stick arrive* which I've then used for doing my tests.

Given I'm about 80% through my evaluation, the fantastic results so far, and the remaining time for the sale I've taken the punt and purchased the Pi version of HomeSeer. I will continue testing with the notebook eval copy until I've purchased a Pi, case, MicroSD, etc.

As a newbie the 5 limit thing is a bit confusing. One minute they talk about drivers, the next plugins, some are included free, but then possibly it's a limit of how many can be concurrently installed. No doubt makes sense to the developers and existing users, but as a newbie it's confusing.

Whichever one it is, bear in mind that HomeSeer seems to have been around a long while and is a Home Automation "platform" - so Z-Wave itself is a plugin/driver/whatever that you add. Therefore if the limit is how many you can have installed then you are already down to 4 straight away.

* I want to specifically mention this Z-Stick was to serve two purposes. Firstly I was going to test a theory of mine to hopefully overcome some of Vera's immense flaws. Secondly, I had begun researching HomeSeer and was going to begin evaluating it if the first test did not go well. However, a vendor saw my posts on the Vera forums and contacted me privately to (very convincingly) encourage me to abandon plan 1 and go straight to plan 2. I'd like to give them credit for convincing me of that, but given the vendor deals with both Vera and HomeSeer I'm not sure if they would want to be named or not. I can't thank them enough for reaching out though - it was incredibly thoughtful of them, and I would otherwise have wasted even more time and frustration on Vera not to mention missed the HomeSeer sale.

Comment

Glad you are having good results since we are having similar problems with Vera.

I dont believe i would be over the 5 plugins required, however, who knows what you may add in the future.

Also i noticed not all plugins are for Linux, so if the time comes that you want more then 5 or one that is not for Linux it would be a big cost to redo with a windows system.

Wish there was a few more days left of the sale as i dont like being rushed and i dont have a z-wave stick to test anything.
                            May just bite the bullet and get the pi version also.

Comment

The 5 Plugin limit relates to the HS3-Pi version. If you purchase the HS3 standard or Pro version, you are free to install it on a Pi using your favorite Linux distribution. That way there is no plugin limit (just processor limit). Also, by purchasing the HS3 standard/pro, you have a license to install HS3 on Windows AND Linux at the same time.

All HS3 plugins written by Homeseer (not 3rd Party) come free with the Pro version. That includes HSTouch designer and Z-Seer+

One other bit of advise. The updater is not the sole source of plugins. Search the board first and you may find a few free gems hidden in the posts.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X