Z-wave Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave Stopped Working

Until last night I haven't had any problems with z-wave, then I couldn't communicate with any of the switches/modules. I have 4 switches and one plugin module. They all came up "unknown" in the status of HS, and if I tried the handheld remote then some would work and others wouldn't, depending on where I was standing when I tried them. But when I was trying them I was no more than 20' from any one unit at any time with the handheld controller. I ended up removing the units from the controller and relearning them, and now HS is controlling them OK. Any idea what could cause something like this? I like the z-wave and up until now I haven't had any problems.

Thanks.

By any chance, did you physically move any of the modules?

Don
    Don

Comment

No that's why I can't understand why they started acting up.

Comment

Do you have only one module within range of the USB interface? If so, then it is possible that it lost its ability to communicate and isolated the rest of the modules. This does happen from time to time. Cycling power to the unit (unplugging a plug-in module or turning off the circuit breaker on an in-wall module) will fix the problem. I have now installed a couple of modules close to the USB interface, so I don't lose my entire network when one fails. I haven't had a failure in a couple of months, but I had several in a row before that.

Bill

Comment

Right now all the units are upstairs and the interface is in the basement with the computer. Until last night everything worked ok. If it keeps up I will try getting a unit closer to the interface and see what happens. I also tried cycling the power to the switches (noticed that in another post) but that didn't seem to help.
          Thanks.

Comment

I had similar problems when I first installed my zwave system. Like you indicated you might need a unit that is closer. I found that my closes unit had to be within about 12ft of the usb controller & I had to have at least three modules for everything to work ok. Once I got this minimum configuration I have had no Z-Wave problems.

Comment

Have you moved any of the devices?

I had a simialar problem. As with many I spent time with different scenerios to find the place to put the controllers.

Re-learn, or clear all together and start over. worked for me.

Comment

I have been having similar problems (other posts). I have not been home for a week and am trying to resolve. I reset the remote and am trying to relearn the devices and start from scratch. Unfortuantely, I can not get one dimmer switch to learn. I have learned 12 other devices with no problem.

I have cycled the power to the switch but that doesn't help.

Should I put in a notice for a bad switch? I have had no bulbs blow where the switch is located.

Comment

Finally got the switch to work. This is what I did. I removed the switch, disconnected all the wires except the ground. Put it back together and all works. Remote learned it, added back into HS. No problem at the moment. Why? Beats me.

Comment

Kane,
                    The next time you have this problem try cycling the power to the switch. This resets them most of the time.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp - he did cycle power.

However, it is important to clarify. If you pulled the tab on the front of the switch, that does not kill power to the switch like it does with X-10 switches. I have had one Z-Wave wall-switch go bad after a bulb blow, got it R&R'd by ACT. I had a different one completely freak out after a lightning storm (not sure if it was related) where it would only come on very dim, and could not be controlled wirelessly. I had to cycle power (and leave it off for a while) before that one came back to normal operation.

21 nodes and no other problems than those, which both occurred 3-4 months ago.
                      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Didn't see that fact in this post Rick sorry.
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I just want to add my recent z-wave problem for the record.

One night it was working great and then about 6 hours later the next morning when i taped the switch on my dimmer the little LED lit for less than a second and went right back off. I tried to recycle power at the breaker and it did not fix it. I took the switch out and hardwired the lights to on and sure enough they came one but one bulb was dead. I was using 60watt halogena incodecent bulbs. There are 5 recessed into my ceiling in the basement.

In my kitchen i have two florecent bulbs and one of them is dying. Every once in a while the lights wont come on but if i fiddle with the bulb enough its fine. No real problems there.

I do have one question tho. Has anyone tried to open up one of these switches on their own and bypass the "fuse"(from what i read) that keeps blowing. I was going to open up mine but didnt want to void anything.

Comment

Working...
                          X