[RC80] Help with External Temperature Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RC80] Help with External Temperature Device

First of all - great plug-in. It does everything well!

I really applaud the ability to finally use the External temperature feature of the RC80, so that it can display the outside temp right on the stat.

I don't have a temp sensor. I use Weather_XML to parse the temperature and have a device set up just for the 2 digit (perhaps three) temperature. I have entered that in the drop down box for "External Temperature Device" in the Options page.

When I first started the plug-in, the External temp was -49 (or something like that). It is now stuck at 68, so I'm assuming that it worked for a little while, but stopped working. I have tried restarting the computer. I have also tried having the temp device both as a string and an integer - still not updated.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I was also having trouble with external temperature. I loaded the new beta 0.7.1.0 and mine started working.

Comment

A.J.,
      YOu need to set the DeviceValue of the device you designate as the external temperature device with the outdoor temperature. For example, if your external temperature device is device "t1" then in whatever script you use to set the temperature you need to do soemthing like:

hs.SetDeviceValue "t1", xx

Where xx is the outside temperature.

This topic is covered in the plug-in doc.

Good Luck,
      Alan

Comment

Alan
        Outside temperature is working great here with the VWS scripts.

Comment

AJ,
          It sounds like you do not need to be running that script that reads the weatherXML temperature device and moves it to another devices. Just point the tstat script directly at the w* temperature device because it is already setting the temp as the device value as well as device string.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp, you are right again... Seems to work!

I wouldn't think it would work because of all the HTML stuff that is in that device...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
            AJ,
            It sounds like you do not need to be running that script that reads the weatherXML temperature device and moves it to another devices. Just point the tstat script directly at the w* temperature device because it is already setting the temp as the device value as well as device string. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

AJ,
              All the HTML stuff is in the deviceString not the deviceValue. That's the beauty of having both. The "stuff you see" is the deviceString the "numbers" are in the deviceValue.

Comment

That's awesome... Is that system wide in HS? Is it something new, I don't remember seeing that before.

Comment

I do not remember when it was added but it's been there a while.

Comment

Well, I was wrong... still not working. It updated when I changed the device as Rupp suggested, but now it's stuck at 72. It's been way hotter than 72 today.

How often should this be updated? [I'm talking about the "Outside Temp" on the RC80]

Comment

It should change as soon as the device value changes, and your therm. polling interval cycles.

Comment

If you are stuck on 72 the value from HomeSeer is not changing. The outside Temperature has to be remotely updated in a timely manner or it will not display. If you are reading 72 deg. then it must be updating with 72 deg.

Comment

AJ,
                          The weatherXML file only updates once an hour. Is the virtual device from weatherXML updating it's device string?

Comment

I used the WeatherXML current temp device and it worked fine.

I then switched over to a current temp device for my Davis Weatherstation, which also worked.
                            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Thanks all - working fine now.

As I tell my customers, restarting usually fixes things. [shoulda known]

Comment

Working...
                              X