UPB Switch Brands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPB Switch Brands

I am ready to move to UPB and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the 3 different brands of switches. The prices seem to vary quite a bit and I like Simply Automated's ability to swap out face plates. Are there any vendor specific bugs anyone has noticed? Are there any other drawbacks/benefits to going with a certain brand?

So far I like the SA switches the best. The swappable faceplate just can't be beat. 1000watts (900 in some of their specs) can't be beat. Do NOT buy any US-30s unless you know you won't be using the extra buttons. There is a design flaw/limitation that makes the local load controller ignore link commands from the other buttons on the switch itself (if the local load is assigned to a link being transmitted by a button on the same switch, the local load will ignore the command). The local load controller works fine from the 1st two buttons. It seems like a real obvious problem but what can you do?

Sometimes the little tabs on the backs of the rocker faceplates need to be sanded down just a hair to make the rockers "feel" right. The tolerances are very tight. The button plates are shipping in two weeks.

The SA IO module is a very handy device as well. Doorbell, Phone ring detect, other goodies.

The SA lamp modules have local load control with report-back so you can turn on the light at the light and HS stays in sync.

Originally posted by wuench
    I am ready to move to UPB and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the 3 different brands of switches. The prices seem to vary quite a bit and I like Simply Automated's ability to swap out face plates. Are there any vendor specific bugs anyone has noticed? Are there any other drawbacks/benefits to going with a certain brand?
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Oman, can you explain more about what you meant about sanding down the tabs on the rockers? I just got some SimplyAutomated switches and with the dual rockers, they don't always "click" when I push them. Sometimes they do but sometimes they just have a "mushy" feel, no click.

Comment

They said that it was supposed to be fixed, but I still have to do this to some to get the feel right.

When you pop the rocker faceplate off the switch there will be up to eight (depending on the faceplate) little legs on springs sticking out the back. They move when you move the rockers. I use a piece of fine grit sandpaper and rub the end of the leg a few times to take off a tiny bit off. Then pop the rocker back on and see if it is enough. After doing it a few times you get used to how much needs to be taken off and it only takes a few seconds to do a faceplate. I think the problem is in the tolerance of the spring tension, not the plastic but this takes care of the problem.

Originally posted by DC
        Oman, can you explain more about what you meant about sanding down the tabs on the rockers? I just got some SimplyAutomated switches and with the dual rockers, they don't always "click" when I push them. Sometimes they do but sometimes they just have a "mushy" feel, no click.
        Jon Ort
        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

DC & Oman - thats exactly the problem I have. I bought 2 US2-40s both with dual tall rocker face plates. Both rockers on both faceplates don't click they just "mush". It's so bad it won't even activate the light. There is no way I can do any single clicks let alone double clicks.

Oman - so if I sand down the little legs you think it will let the rocker "click" like it's supposed to ?
          Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

Sure will. It is the ends of the legs that get sanded down, not the edges. You are shortening the legs so that there is less tension in the "idle" position of the rocker. Usually it is just a few thousandths of an inch that needs to be removed. I went way-overboard on my first try and the switch still works, but it is a bit loose at idle.

Originally posted by bruce l
            DC & Oman - thats exactly the problem I have. I bought 2 US2-40s both with dual tall rocker face plates. Both rockers on both faceplates don't click they just "mush". It's so bad it won't even activate the light. There is no way I can do any single clicks let alone double clicks.

Oman - so if I sand down the little legs you think it will let the rocker "click" like it's supposed to ?
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Your sanding the face plates for switches that cost how much?
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yep - annoying isn't it. They will repace them but it is easier to sand if needed. The ones that come pre-installed fit just fine. It is when you change them out that you might have a problem.

Originally posted by Rupp
                Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

It seems counter-intuitive that making the little contact legs shorter would fix the problem. It feels as if they are too short to fully depress the little buttons on the switch base. But, I'll take your word for it and give it a try. Thanks.

Comment

Assuming you are having the same problem as everyone else...

The springs are putting too much pressure on the switches and depressing them when the rocker is centered.

Originally posted by DC
                    It seems counter-intuitive that making the little contact legs shorter would fix the problem. It feels as if they are too short to fully depress the little buttons on the switch base. But, I'll take your word for it and give it a try. Thanks.
                    Jon Ort
                    JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                      Rupp - that is what just pisses me off. The switches ain't cheap but when you've paid over 12 bux for some little plastic piece that needs sanding ....
                      UPB switches ought to at least come with a single rocker switch for free and the extra rockers should be about $3-$4 not $12 !!!
                      Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

They do... if you want the standard rocker you can get the switch and rocker together. If you buy the universal base it is just the base. The single rockers are a few bux and the more rockers on the plate the higher the price. I don't actually like the multi-rockers, I wish the button units were in stock.

It does tick me off that the replacement rockers are not quite right though. They should just fit with no extra effort.

Originally posted by bruce l
                        Rupp - that is what just pisses me off. The switches ain't cheap but when you've paid over 12 bux for some little plastic piece that needs sanding ....
                        UPB switches ought to at least come with a single rocker switch for free and the extra rockers should be about $3-$4 not $12 !!!
                        Jon Ort
                        JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
                        X