Geofency and Locative issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geofency and Locative issues

Hello everyone. I've been happily using Geofency with PHLocation now for a few years with no issues. But recently I've been having lots of problems with Geofency not triggering, both with fences and beacons. I have an iPhone 7 Plus currently running iOS 11.2.2. I'm going to update to 11.2.5 tonight and see if that helps.

But I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with Geofency not triggering recently?

Since I was having problems with Geofency, I figured I'd install Locative and see if it worked any better, and see if the problem is the app or with iOS location services itself.

With Locative, I'm noticing that my beacons are incorrectly being identified as fences in PHL. And both fence and beacon devices are getting Geofency graphics instead of Locative graphics.

Is this expected behavior for Locative devices?

Edit: I'm running v109 of PHL, which I believe is the latest version.
    Attached Files

I'm using Locative (not with beacons) on an iPhone 7 here and have been through all the recent iOS updates without any issues.

I don't have any beacons here to test with so I'll need your help with some debug logging so I can properly implement beacon detection in Locative.
    Can you set debug level to 2 on the plug-in's config page then get Locative to change state of a beacon device a couple of times. You should get some log entries showing the raw data that was received from Locative. If you could drop me them in an email, I'll get it fixed.

The "incorrect graphics" issue will be my bad and I'll get that fixed.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by teladog01 View Post
      Hello everyone. I've been happily using Geofency with PHLocation now for a few years with no issues. But recently I've been having lots of problems with Geofency not triggering, both with fences and beacons. I have an iPhone 7 Plus currently running iOS 11.2.2. I'm going to update to 11.2.5 tonight and see if that helps.

But I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with Geofency not triggering recently?

Since I was having problems with Geofency, I figured I'd install Locative and see if it worked any better, and see if the problem is the app or with iOS location services itself.

With Locative, I'm noticing that my beacons are incorrectly being identified as fences in PHL. And both fence and beacon devices are getting Geofency graphics instead of Locative graphics.

Is this expected behavior for Locative devices?

Edit: I'm running v109 of PHL, which I believe is the latest version.
      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
      Plugin's:
      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Yes I have had issues lately where I never had issues before. I have Iphone 6s and I noticed the issue last week. I always update IOS the day the updates come out, so whatever that IOS was last week is what gave me problems. I updated to the 11.2.5 yesterday. Locations were not triggering in a certain fence location and I checked and I had good reception and was able to access internet while in the location. Havent been able to try out that location since the update.

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
          If you could drop me them in an email, I'll get it fixed.

Paul..
          Email sent, Paul. Thanks for looking into it.

Thanks to the other posters for confirming there may be an issue w/ Geofency recently. I'll continue to test w/ Locative and Geofency after updating iOS tonight, and report back.

Comment

Well there is definitely something wrong with Geofency fences.

I've been on iOS 11.2.5 a little more than a week now, with both Geofency and Locative installed, and the same fences and beacons configured in both. Geofency and Locative both trigger beacons quite reliably, usually within a couple seconds of each other, with Locative almost always being the first to trigger. But with fences, Geofency is either severely delayed (1-2 minutes), or doesn't trigger at all until I open the app and then it "remembers" it's supposed to trigger. Locative seems to be spot on with fences and I haven't noticed any missed triggers.

So Locative seems to be the clear winner for accuracy. But it has it's own issues, not the least of which being the fact that it is no longer being developed and is missing key features like local notifications and current status for each fence/beacon. Also, it appears that Locative doesn't retry failed attempts to post to PHLocation when the network connection is spotty. Geofency at least retries for many minutes, whereas Locative "gives up" after just a minute or two.

Comment

I was looking at adding GeoFency. Is this still and issue or is it responding normally now. Is it still the best for iOS or one of the other plugins better?
              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
              Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
              3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
              4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
              3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
              SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                I was looking at adding GeoFency. Is this still and issue or is it responding normally now. Is it still the best for iOS or one of the other plugins better?
                I have had very good results with GeoFency and iCloud. I use GeoFency for iBeacons and fences. I use iCloud for position. GeoFency has been reliable for me for years. It rarely misses an update, probably only a couple of times last year and none this year. I switched from direct posting to my server by DDNS and port forwarding to posting through MyHS a couple of months ago and it remains extremely reliable and fast. I have not felt any loss of speed.

For illustration, every work day afternoon I walk the dog and wait for my wife to get home. Riley (the dog) likes to see her get home. I know when she gets in her car by an iBeacon trigger and I know when she leaves the office with a GeoFency trigger. She works about 5 minutes from home, so we go outside when I get the notification she left the work fence. Then I get a pushover message on my phone and watch when my wife enters the home fence (150 meters), always about 5 minutes later. The GeoFency home fence triggers (without fail) when her car enters the neighborhood. Every day, my watch or phone pings either seconds before or at the moment we see her car. This is dependent on the speed of both GeoFency posting and the Pushover service, both of which are very reliable - despite being cloud dependent.

I also use PHLocation iCloud locations for fencing. The iCloud fence is usually 30-60 seconds behind GeoFency.
                HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                  FWIW, I uninstalled Locative and am back to using just GeoFency. I have determined that the biggest factor in fence trigger accuracy is cellular coverage. Turns out I have somewhat spotty cellular coverage at my house (1-2 bars on my iPhone usually) which I believe is what causes the occasional trigger miss or delay. I didn't realize this until I setup and tested a fence at my work location, which has much better cellular coverage.

Comment

Working...
                  X