Considering the 2413U interface and the Insteon PLM Plug-In:

Is there a way HomeSeer can change a butons's toggle mode

i.e. toggle to non-toggle, or non-toggle to toggle

thnx

Try the new build 1.5.6.4 at the bottom of the 1.5.6 beta thread

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=22
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Thanks Mark. I'll give it a try

Thanks Mark, I'll give it a try.

Comment

anything to report? did it work as expected
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

I saw your reference to Toggle / Non-Toggle On & Non-Toggle Off in the latest version of your plug-in.

Can you please provide a brief summary how this would be used? I tried to set a button on my keypad to Non-Toggle Off to try to figure it out for myself but when I try to save the changes, it reverts back to Toggle. The Custom Settings pull-down are 0 and cannot be changed to any other value.

Thanks

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brmeeke View Post
            Mark,

I saw your reference to Toggle / Non-Toggle On & Non-Toggle Off in the latest version of your plug-in.

Can you please provide a brief summary how this would be used? I tried to set a button on my keypad to Non-Toggle Off to try to figure it out for myself but when I try to save the changes, it reverts back to Toggle. The Custom Settings pull-down are 0 and cannot be changed to any other value.

Thanks

Brian
            Brian,
            Oops, the custom settings you see should have been hidden before i posted this. They are read-only values for debug purposes. please ignore them.

The toggle settings are made above by selecting the mode and then clicking the "Program Button Modes" btn. see the screen shot below.

Toggle is the normal on/off.
            non-toggle On will always have the led lit and send an On when pressed.
            non-toggle Of will always have the led off and send an Off when pressed.

these are documented further in the kpl user's manual.

hope this helps.
            Attached Files
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Mark,

I have 2 keypad lincs acting as a clones of each other. They are on opposite sides of a room, and A,B,C and D are the same for both switches.

I created a group and assigned to each button as the controller, which works well. In one case I have bad dead spot that even insteon has trouble with, and I get around it by moving the control funciton there. It seems faster too.

What I do want is the lights to toggle in both places... if I press A in one spot, I want it to turn on A on the other. I partially accomplished that by including the same key in the other's group and set it to on. I was afraid it would loop, but it doesn't. In fact all it does is set its state to on, but no execute the local group.

I looking to see if there is a better way to do this. The plugin is extremely flexibile and I'm thinking that maybe there are ways to approach it that I hadn't thought of.

Paul
              Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                In fact all it does is set its state to on, but no execute the local group.
                Paul
                i don't understand the line i quoted.

one kpl btn can not execute/trigger a group assigned to another kpl at the moment. SH is trying to add this feature, but they don't have it just yet.

so in the meantime, it sounds like you are doing the next best thing.

if you created unique groups using each kpl btn as the controller and controlling the same devices and the opposite/mirror kpl btn, this should work.

if i missed something, i just need more detail

Side note: Yah, i didn't realize insteon was so susceptible to line noise; its causing me some real heartburn with one of my wireless triggerlincs. i keep getting false indications that a door was left open because the OFF cmd was missed.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                  i don't understand the line i quoted
                  I see, I didn't word that too well. Take 2 I have a group for button B on controller one. That group turns on several inlinelincs that power low volatage lighting. Also in that group, I include button B for controller two and i set it to on, keeping both switches in sync operationally.

When I press button B on controller one, it turns on the lighting and it (sometimes) changes the the condition for B button on controller 2 to on. My intial concern was that turning on Button B on controller 2 would also activate its group, creating a cascading loop between both switches. Fortunately that does not happen

The maddening part is that the two switches are maybe 16 feet away from each other , line of site. They should be bridging the RF and make this work... but it doesn't appear to be happening. Any way to tell if they are linked via RF?

One of the switches in a 1940's steel single gang box. The metal is both thick and high hardness, possibly blocking any rf. The switches are mounted at 90 degree anlges to each other and the box side is between the line of site.

I hate to have to rip it out of the wall and replace with plastic to see if it will work. Maybe I could drill a hole in it. Any idea where the antenna is on the keypadlinc?

Paul
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                    I see, I didn't word that too well. Take 2 I have a group for button B on controller one. That group turns on several inlinelincs that power low volatage lighting. Also in that group, I include button B for controller two and i set it to on, keeping both switches in sync operationally.

When I press button B on controller one, it turns on the lighting and it (sometimes) changes the the condition for B button on controller 2 to on. My intial concern was that turning on Button B on controller 2 would also activate its group, creating a cascading loop between both switches. Fortunately that does not happen

The maddening part is that the two switches are maybe 16 feet away from each other , line of site. They should be bridging the RF and make this work... but it doesn't appear to be happening. Any way to tell if they are linked via RF?

One of the switches in a 1940's steel single gang box. The metal is both thick and high hardness, possibly blocking any rf. The switches are mounted at 90 degree anlges to each other and the box side is between the line of site.

I hate to have to rip it out of the wall and replace with plastic to see if it will work. Maybe I could drill a hole in it. Any idea where the antenna is on the keypadlinc?

Paul
                    Paul,
                    so both KPLs are dual band; they must be Relay; I haven't seen dual-band dimmers. yes they should be talking directly to each other via rf. but there is no way to tell.

I'm familar with the metal boxes...one suggestion is to let the kpls hang outside the box, do some testing and see if that makes a difference. then you will know if the metal box is causing the problem.

I believe the antenna runs vertically along the back.

Question: if the kpls are indeed relay devices, how did you get them in the metal boxes? I recently had to replace a metal box with a plastic box because the dual-band relay kpl was too deep to fit in the very shallow metal box.

Question 2: Are the two KPls on the same circuit? if so, you should be able to find the noise culprit much easier. Also I hope ruled out any 900mhz phones or other RF devices that tx on 900. I had to get rid of an old cordless phone that was causing problems.
                    Last edited by mnsandler; October 31, 2011, 01:32 PM. Reason: added Questoin 2
                    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                      Paul,
                      so both KPLs are dual band; they must be Relay; I haven't seen dual-band dimmers. yes they should be talking directly to each other via rf. but there is no way to tell.

I'm familar with the metal boxes...one suggestion is to let the kpls hang outside the box, do some testing and see if that makes a difference. then you will know if the metal box is causing the problem.
                      Great idea, I will try that tonight, easily done.

I believe the antenna runs vertically along the back.
                      Maybe I will take one apart. This might just be as simple as a piece of wire running to the outside.

Question: if the kpls are indeed relay devices, how did you get them in the metal boxes? I recently had to replace a metal box with a plastic box because the dual-band relay kpl was too deep to fit in the very shallow metal box.
                      1940's metal 1 gang full box. There is also a boat load of wire in their too. Full depth. Thick, drill defying impenetrable metal.

Question 2: Are the two KPls on the same circuit? if so, you should be able to find the noise culprit much easier. Also I hope ruled out any 900mhz phones or other RF devices that tx on 900. I had to get rid of an old cordless phone that was causing problems.
                      Great questions. They are not on the same circuit. Ironically, the design for this was that these two would bridge the two ugly parts of this noisy area of the house. No 900mhz in the house. 2.4 and 5ghz WAN, 5ghz DECT Cordless phones

Paul
                      Paul

Comment

YEESH! After how many years, problem identified. The inline lincs power low voltage transformers for lights. The one located at the problem spot has the lowest insteon address so group programming tries to deal with it first, and insteon appears to pause as it hammers away at getting its message(s) through. For whatever reason turning on those transformers "garbels" everything coming after "on"

In addition to "on" commands to these devices, I wanted a lower "on" level and .5 sec ramp rate. It turns out that just turning the inline linc on and powering up the transfomers.. injects noise in the line enough to screw up the rest of the conversation. So after turning it on, the remaining transmissions for level and ramp rate are garbled. Eventually they get through, but it slows everything else down.

If I go with a straight on and off, no problems, pauses. Works darn near real switch speed.

I did want a lower level as I go through halogen / xenon bulbs faster than I'd like to. I've settle with normal ramp rate and lower on.

The good news is that activating the button on the other keypadlinc works, a high WAF.

At some point I have to find alternative transformers. I use the same ones elsewhere.. not sure what the deal is.
                        Paul

Comment

Some things to know about Keypadlincs.. good things...

Everything is working very well having the plugin push the group programming into the individual keypadlinc buttons. I have lightning fast responses and the groups are distributed on the network remotely where they are needed

However, shame on me. The relay versions of the Keypadlinc, not the dimmer, are RF devices. While I have two great devices, had I known and spent a few more bucks, I would have had RF bridging across phases into a bad spot on the network along with amazing switch capabilities

These switches are so much better appearing and operating than the 4 button IBM/leviton they are replacing, and WAF is very high, I am replacing the last 2 in the area. I will make them relays and get the RF capability. I can then move around what I have to get best bridging.

The above is documentation for any who are looking at the Keypadlincs. I think other some kind of documentation is needed for how to use keypadlincs, because they are a lot deeper in capability then they appear.

While I always appreciated Mark and his plugin, these keypadlincs are definitely the high point of elegance, performance and capability.
                          Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X