RF2315R Active RFID Dual Receivers Module with RSSI USB Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RF2315R Active RFID Dual Receivers Module with RSSI USB Version

There is a new dual receiver module on eBay now. It looks like two 9315's combined and gives an output as: (4 characters ID, RSSIA,RSSIB). It has two SMA connectors to allow you to connect and position your own antennae.

The idea is it allows detection of direction of movement by comparing the two RSSIs.

Search for
    RF2315R on eBay.

I have not purchased any RFID stuff yet. Just doing my homework.

Is there any chance that this module could be incorporated into xapmcsRFID?

Marty.
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

I looked at the ebay reference that has a delivered price of $80 for the raw board. I did not see any links to the data specification but that can be worked out. My experience with the 9315 is that the sensitivity information was not useful for purpose of presence detection and the original model actually provided better results for this purpose. There was just too fast db dropoff between no signal and full signal to make it usefull and to get this additional feature the overall sensitivity of the device was compromised.

The next question that comes to mind is its usefullness. You need to route two coax antennae to a single point so the physical setup is a potential issue. I think it is easier to have two units at different locations and use ethernet to make the connection between the two. It may turn out that the signal processing within the 2315R can actually provide some motion information. My hopes are not very high for general purpose application based upon other active RFID with which I have experimented.

The second question is how the raw data over the serial link would need to be processed to get something useful where dependable HS event triggers or other automation logic could be applied.

I do not see myself purchasing and using one, but if you want to play I can add decoding logic to xapmcsRFID that will bring the raw data into a format that can be transmitted over the LAN or routed to a data file where you can do analysis to develop a algorithm that could be deployed via xapmcsRFID. At this time I see this as a piece of hardware (the easy part) in search of a useful application (the hard part).

Comment

Thanks Michael,

So by the sounds of it the original 8315 is the way to go. Using 2 of them perhaps.

Marty.
      iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

My experience with two of the 8315 and one of the 9315 is that the 8315 was a superior product and the 9315 sensitivity information for presence detection was of no value.

I would not consider using any of these for directional detection because you will find when you set it up to minimize false triggers that the timing is such that any body in motion will have passed both antennae. It may be possible, for example to have them separted by 1000 ft and then entering/leaving detection is possible. If they are 50 ft apart then I doubt if direction can be reliably determined.

It is always the case that for a specific install that the enviornment, software and hardware can be made to work together to get good specific results, but this becomes a case-by-case install with engineering required to figure out the best combination of parameters.

Comment

I've had two of the following in place now for a few years:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RF8315R-Acti...item45db658307

These are the vehicle mounted transmitters that I utilize:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300070090192...84.m1432.l2649

I did write to the company and they sent me a new RF8315R and transmitter for free. The above two. I am not sure if the company is still doing that.

I have the transmitters mounted in the dome light area of the vehicles and they work just fine. You could also wire these probably adjacent to the battery and they would work just fine.

The newer RF8315R that the company sent does require additional power where as the old ones have been working fine without it.

That said I do not have critical events driven by these units and don't "layer" these devices into anything related to hard security stuff (alarm panel).

I also have them set such that they have to be (2 of the plugins) at one state (whether on or off) for 5 minutes before an event is triggered.

That said I have the RS-232 cables (via Cat5E) just running to the devices. The one in the attic is using the RS scanner antenna mounted upside down and the other one is in the garage inside of the old Rainbird sprinkler box along with the Rain8Nets. I only utilize 4 of the transmitters and they do fine even mounted inside of the headliner of the vehicle. The transmitter do not drain the batteries of the vehicle when parked noticeably.

While the plugins allow for more than one device; I use multiple plugins to create a new variable for the RFID device. It seems to work better.

I had to redo the power wiring on the bimmers as they have a system which shuts down any 12VDC utilized on the bus after a few minutes. (so even the 12VDC dome light power gets shut off after a bit).
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; October 6, 2011, 07:56 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X