RFXCom & Ceiling Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFXCom & Ceiling Fans

I've seen that this has been asked before on a few threads, but it's been a couple of years. Is it now possible to control Hampton Bay/Harbor Breeze ceiling fans & light with the RFXCom transmitter? If not is there a way to do this?

I know this is possible with Insteon Fanlinc, but I want to retain the use of my wireless remotes and don't want to depend on HS3 to manually turn on the fans/lights.

I can't belienve Hampton Bay still makes remotes (sells them at Home Depot) and never considered throwing a zwave chip in the receiver. If they did I'm sure they would make a killing. I would pay $100 for easy!

-Devon

I thought that would be easy in X10 with an RR501 or TM751. Would this work similarly for Insteon?

http://www.smarthome.com/smartenit-e...-receiver.html

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
      I thought that would be easy in X10 with an RR501 or TM751. Would this work similarly for Insteon?

http://www.smarthome.com/smartenit-e...-receiver.html
      Not sure. I was more thinking of a device the would be able to receive/transmit the Hampton Bay remote signals via Homeseer. Not sure if RFXCom has been updated to do that.

As far as Insteon, they make a Ceiling Fan receiver that does exactly what I need, only thing is that it doesn't come with remotes. Now I know they make a Mini Remote, but I'm not sure if it needs to talk to a configured Insteon controller (Powerlinc Modem?) to control the fan/lights or if it will talk to it directly.

http://www.smarthome.com/fanlinc-ins...dual-band.html

Comment

Can't help you. I have a Fanlinc but no Insteon RF remotes. The Fanlinc is reputedly a dual band device so it should be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by mikaluch View Post
          Can't help you. I have a Fanlinc but no Insteon RF remotes. The Fanlinc is reputedly a dual band device so it should be possible.
          So that means in your case, HS3 is your only control of your fans/light? Trying to avoid that.

Comment

I see that someone was able to hack a Hampton Bay remote with Arduino to be able to control their ceiling fan via Smart Things. Is anyone doing something with Homeseer?

https://github.com/tomforti/relay_hampton_bay_fan

-Devon

Comment

You don't need a plm to use a fanlincs and a remotelinc, however you would need one to control it via home seer (with the help of a plugin). The great thing about insteon though is that the link between the remote and fanlincs will persist no matter the state of the plm. I use fanlincs and keypadlincs in my house for ceiling fans and they work just fine with or without homeseer (or my isy) running.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                You don't need a plm to use a fanlincs and a remotelinc, however you would need one to control it via home seer (with the help of a plugin). The great thing about insteon though is that the link between the remote and fanlincs will persist no matter the state of the plm. I use fanlincs and keypadlincs in my house for ceiling fans and they work just fine with or without homeseer (or my isy) running.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                Good to know...that was my only fear. Losing connectifity to my fan/lights if HS3 was acting up. How long does the battery lasts on the remotelinc?

Comment

Hi Devon, I have been looking for a way to use RFXCom with Harbor breeze / Hampton Bay ceiling fans as well. I sent an email to RFXCom the other day asking if they support these fans yet, Thier response was that they don't currently test them and that they currently support lucciair ceiling fans. Debating buying one to see if I can get it to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                  Plugin's:
                  BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                  EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                  weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
                    Hi Devon, I have been looking for a way to use RFXCom with Harbor breeze / Hampton Bay ceiling fans as well. I sent an email to RFXCom the other day asking if they support these fans yet, Thier response was that they don't currently test them and that they currently support lucciair ceiling fans. Debating buying one to see if I can get it to work.

Let me know what you find out. BTW, it seems that Hunter has attempted to reach the Home Automation audience, but had the wrong approach with their Bluetooth enabled SimpleConnect device. If they would have went with ZWave control, it would have been a total win!

http://www.hunterfan.com/SimpleConnectControl

Comment

Devon, It seems to me that a lot of manufacturers tend to just develop solutions that allow someone to use their phone as a remote control rather than working on a true HA device. They are trying to appeal to the masses with smart phones rather than the HA users. My opinion, there are a lot of people that haven't been introduced to or informed about what HA is, afraid of the high cost to convert to HA or just want a plug and play solution. All understandable issues. Maybe as people start adding devices that are controlled by their phones...they will make their way around to want a system that automates it for them. If they already have something that is possible to control via HS then the the cost to automate will be less of a jump.

I've found out that RFXCom only transmits on RF frequency 433.92MHz. According to the FCC ID's on the three brands of ceiling fans I have in my house (Hunter, Harbor Breeze, Hampton Bay) they work on 350.000, 315.000,303.921 frequencies, so from what little I understand about RF transmitters, it is tuned to a specific frequency and if your devices aren't on the same frequency, then the RFXCom transmitter can't talk to it. If I'm incorrect, I'm sure there is someone more versed in RF than I that might be able to shed some light on the subject.

At this point, I'm thinking that the Insteon solution might be the easiest, it puts all your ceiling fans on the same frequency and there are a lot of people in this forum that have experience with it to help in case of issues.

HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                      Plugin's:
                      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The added wrinkle these days are DC motor fans.

With older fans, with AC motors, you could control them with just about any 3rd party line-voltage device. Now with DC motors you're stuck using whatever the vendor has provided.

Worse yet, a lot of fans don't document what kind of motors they're using.

I've had great luck using AC motor fans with Lutron RD-2ANF controllers on a Radio RA2 setup. Which is probably more complicated/expensive than most folks want to consider. It does work nicely, however.

Comment

Working...
                        X