Weather Underground Cancels Free API Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
    If that is the case then could there be a plugin made if the API info is available?

Maybe there is hope:

"AmbientWeather API (beta) RESTful And Real-Time APIs.

Retrieve your own real-time and historical personal weather station data, or build 3rd party apps and get data from multiple devices.

The Ambient Weather Network API makes it easy for programmers to integrate historical and present weather data into the application you design, generated by the devices you have set up at AmbientWeather.net.

If you are a programmer and familiar with JSON data format, and would like to integrate your application directly with the API, email support@AmbientWeather.com with your weather station's MAC address, and we will grant you a developer's license. There is no charge. Once approved, your developer key will appear on your dashboard.
    "

Above quote taken from:

https://www.ambientweather.com/community.html
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
      Maybe there is hope:

"AmbientWeather API (beta) RESTful And Real-Time APIs.

Retrieve your own real-time and historical personal weather station data, or build 3rd party apps and get data from multiple devices.

The Ambient Weather Network API makes it easy for programmers to integrate historical and present weather data into the application you design, generated by the devices you have set up at AmbientWeather.net.

If you are a programmer and familiar with JSON data format, and would like to integrate your application directly with the API, email support@AmbientWeather.com with your weather station's MAC address, and we will grant you a developer's license. There is no charge. Once approved, your developer key will appear on your dashboard.
      "

Above quote taken from:

https://www.ambientweather.com/community.html

Now were talking. Any takers on taking a shot at this. I am not a programmer so it will have to be one of you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
        Is it now possible that someone would be interested in creating a plugin that can connect directly to our weather stations? I may be all wet but I would like to know the why's if it is not possible, just out of curiosity.
        Looks like my next plugin project!

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post

Now that's what I am talking about. Thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by Fellhahn View Post
            So, it looks like free APIs will no longer be available from Wundergound.com:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api

Also posted to their forums:

https://apicommunity.wunderground.co...nd-api-changes

I only discovered this while trying to setup the WeatherXML.

It's also unclear how free APIs will be affected going forward, whether they will be grandfathered in or not.
            According to the official rep on the fourm, the existing keys will continue to work (mine is).

Will existing free keys still work? And if not, when will they be turned off?
            Comment
            1 person likes this
            22 hours ago
            Photo of Tim Roche
            Tim Roche, Official Rep

272 Posts 19 Reply Likes
            for the time being, free keys will continue to work. We will update you if that changes.
            HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
            Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
            BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

The development api for this one is free. It contains all the items from the pro version just not the archive data on some of them.

https://www.aerisweather.com/signup/pricing/

I think the only drawback, if I understand correctly, is that you have to renew the developer api every 2 months.

Michael
              HS3Pro & HS4Pro on Win2012R2
              Aeotec, Cooper, Cree, GE/Jasco, Intermatic, LIFX, Fortrezz, OSRAM, RCS, Trane, Zooz
              BLBackup, BLGData, BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch, InvisaLink, HSBuddy, IFTTT, JowiHue, NetCAM, PHLocation, Pushover 3P, Random, rnbWeather, UltraLighting3, weatherXML, ZigBee, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by Jobee View Post
                According to the official rep on the fourm, the existing keys will continue to work (mine is).

Will existing free keys still work? And if not, when will they be turned off?
                Comment
                1 person likes this
                22 hours ago
                Photo of Tim Roche
                Tim Roche, Official Rep

272 Posts 19 Reply Likes
                for the time being, free keys will continue to work. We will update you if that changes.
                Yeah key point there... "for the time being..."

Comment

You might try this

I still use HS2. I run the weathercom_xml.vb then I added a 10 second wait then run the weathercom_xml.vb again all in the same event every 30 minutes.

So far no snow or freezing temps.

Joe

Comment

John, is there still any interest from you or anyone in working on a plugin? The subject kind of melted away.

Comment

I just released a plug-in to make use of the Ambient real-time API data in the beta section of the updater. For those of you with an Ambient weather station, please give it a try and let me know how it works.
                      --
                      Bob Paauwe
                      ISYInsteon Plug-in
                      http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

Originally posted by bpwwer View Post
                        I just released a plug-in to make use of the Ambient real-time API data in the beta section of the updater. For those of you with an Ambient weather station, please give it a try and let me know how it works.
                        Well it now seems there are two AmbientWeather plugins...and both with the same name....

I have not tried your plugin yet. I'll have to remove my own to test. The Real-Time API is of interest as it's using the node.js SocketIO mechanisms, interesting if you are using that in VB or C#? I saw some early libs of using SocketIO with .NET.

Comment

John Eubanks has been working on one for a week or so. This thread is about his plug-in.
                          This plugin will be specific to Ambient Weather Personal Weather Stations (PWS). If you are reporting information AmbientWeather.Net you can get an API key which is
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Well it now seems there are two AmbientWeather plugins...and both with the same name....

I have not tried your plugin yet. I'll have to remove my own to test. The Real-Time API is of interest as it's using the node.js SocketIO mechanisms, interesting if you are using that in VB or C#? I saw some early libs of using SocketIO with .NET.
                            I had no idea you were working on one too. I started about a month ago and tried to release it last week, but a bug in the HS beta publishing tool blocked it for a few days. Most of the effort was getting the real-time API to work. I'm not using SocketIO and had to reverse engineer the protocol to get things functioning. Based on your screen shot, I think both look pretty similar which makes sense since we're getting the same data.
                            --
                            Bob Paauwe
                            ISYInsteon Plug-in
                            http://www.bobsplace.com/ISYInsteon/

Comment

I had no idea you were working on one too. I started about a month ago and tried to release it last week, but a bug in the HS beta publishing tool blocked it for a few days. Most of the effort was getting the real-time API to work. I'm not using SocketIO and had to reverse engineer the protocol to get things functioning. Based on your screen shot, I think both look pretty similar which makes sense since we're getting the same data.
                              I'm all for "competition" and for other plugins. I see things with your plugin that I actually had plans on implementing as well.

I am impressed if you re-engineered the protocol to get to the Real-Time data.

Comment

You have not setup a message thread/forum for it that I can see - did I miss it?
                                I intend to activate my AmbientWaether account today and hopefully give one, or both of these plugin's a spin.

Comment

Working...
                                X