Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woke up this morning and all devices are gone, any thoughts on where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woke up this morning and all devices are gone, any thoughts on where to start?

Hi All,

So, I have had Homeseer up and running smoothly for months now. Then this AM, woke up and noticed outside lights were still on then under further investigation I see that I have no devices in the system except those that were recreated by Sonos and Hue. My events loaded but when you look at the events the devices all say ref device not found. I have an older back up to restore from but I am wondering the root of the problem before we have it happen again, etc. Here is what I could find in the log. Also, ZNet looks like all the nodes are still in it. Thoughts of where to go next and what to do?

Below is the snippet from the log where it looks like evertyhing went haywire, no logs after 2 am, then a restart for some reason followed by the config not loading.

Mar-17 4:47:04 AM Startup HomeSeer version is: 3.0.0.368
    Mar-17 4:47:04 AM Load Config Loading TIMERS...
    Mar-17 4:47:04 AM Load Config Loading COUNTERS...
    Mar-17 4:47:04 AM Load Config 105 total events loaded.
    Mar-17 4:47:03 AM Load Config Loading Events...
    Mar-17 4:47:03 AM Load Config Loading Event Groups...
    Mar-17 4:47:03 AM Load Config 0 total devices loaded.
    Mar-17 4:47:03 AM Database Loading Devices...
    Mar-17 4:47:03 AM Warning Configuration database has no devices in it: C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\HomeSeerData.hsd
    Mar-17 4:46:57 AM Warning Database failed to open, waiting then retrying...attempt to write a readonly database attempt to write a readonly database
    Mar-17 4:46:52 AM Warning Database failed to open, waiting then retrying...attempt to write a readonly database attempt to write a readonly database
    Mar-17 4:46:47 AM Warning Database failed to open, waiting then retrying...attempt to write a readonly database attempt to write a readonly database
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Warning Database failed to open, waiting then retrying...attempt to write a readonly database attempt to write a readonly database
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Database Opening (Mode=Read Only) up HomeSeer database C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\HomeSeerData.hsd
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Loading configuration file ...
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Database SAVE process started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Local voice recognition class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup HSPhone external interface class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Plug-In Interface class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup E-Mail RECEIVE class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup E-Mail SEND class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Web server class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Application interface class started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup COM port classes started.
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup Creating Class Objects...
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup ************************************************************ ********************
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup HomeSeer version 3.0.0.368 Edition: HS3 Standard Starting Now
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup ************************************************************ ********************
    Mar-17 4:46:42 AM Startup
    Mar-17 4:46:41 AM Startup Settings Loaded.
    Mar-17 2:59:48 AM PHLocation UPD Timer elapsed

Originally posted by norcalhkr View Post
    Hi All,

So, I have had Homeseer up and running smoothly for months now. Then this AM, woke up and noticed outside lights were still on then under further investigation I see that I have no devices in the system except those that were recreated by Sonos and Hue. My events loaded but when you look at the events the devices all say ref device not found. I have an older back up to restore from but I am wondering the root of the problem before we have it happen again, etc. Here is what I could find in the log. Also, ZNet looks like all the nodes are still in it. Thoughts of where to go next and what to do?

Below is the snippet from the log where it looks like evertyhing went haywire, no logs after 2 am, then a restart for some reason followed by the config not loading.
    Usually this is because of a corrupted database. The database can become corrupted with a disorderly shutdown. You can restore the file from a backup or HomeSeer automatically backs up the database at each startup and stores them in the \HomeSeer HS3\Data directory. An underscore and a number from 1-10 is appended to the database filename. They are not numbered in chronological order, so you will need to look at the timestamp of the file and find the newest. Here my database id 1045Home.hsd. The backups are 1045Home_1.hsd, 1045Home_2.hsd, etc. You can see the timestamp of the most recent backup is on 1045Home_6.hsd.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1195892

You can find the filename and go into setup and load it from the dropdown to see if it cures the problem.

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1195893

If you do use one of the backups that HomeSeer created, be sure and shut down HomeSer and rename it to the original filename or it will start appending "_X" to a filename that was already appended.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      Usually this is because of a corrupted database. The database can become corrupted with a disorderly shutdown. You can restore the file from a backup or HomeSeer automatically backs up the database at each

I think this worked, my last good back up was 12/22 but it looks like a majority of my devices are there which will save substantial reconfig time if I tweaked anything since then.

No I will need to fond a backup config solution as to not repeat...

Thanks rprade, I think tour solution fit the bill

Comment

I think this worked, my last good back up was 12/22 but it looks like a majority of my devices are there which will save substantial reconfig time if I tweaked anything since then.

No I will need to fond a backup config solution as to not repeat...

Thanks rprade, I think tour solution fit the bill
        BLBackup works well for me. I backup HomeSeer at 1:15AM and 1:15PM. I also use Macirum Reflect to backup the entire HS server system disk.
        Last edited by randy; March 17, 2018, 04:23 PM.

Comment

I will need to fond a backup config solution as to not repeat...
          Blade's BLBackup is a free plug-in that works very well. It will allow you to make a backup of your entire HS directory (and any other folders you want to save) on a schedule of your choosing. I make a backup of HS every night.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
            Blade's BLBackup is a free plug-in that works very well. It will allow you to make a backup of your entire HS directory (and any other folders you want to save) on a schedule of your choosing. I make a backup of HS every night.

BLBackup works well for me. I backup HomeSeer every night. I also use Macirum Reflect to backup the entire HS server system disk.

Thanks Guys, I am looking up blbackup now, no need to create brain damage again

Comment

BLBackup works well for me. I backup HomeSeer every night. I also use Macirum Reflect to backup the entire HS server system disk.
              Is there a way to have Homeseer backup the config file automatically or a plugin to do it? It looks like BLbackup will back up the existing config files but it would be nice to generate a back up config on regular intervals should anything get corrupted.

Comment

Is there a way to have Homeseer backup the config file automatically or a plugin to do it? It looks like BLbackup will back up the existing config files but it would be nice to generate a back up config on regular intervals should anything get corrupted.
                It's not automatic, but after a couple of times getting burned, I have taken to running a Backup Config off the setup page every single time I make a change to the system. That's every time I add or change events, add or remove a device, etc. Probably not necessary to do it each time, but I have had to rebuild the entire system from scratch before and it gives me some piece of mind to just run the backup manually.

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
                  It's not automatic, but after a couple of times getting burned, I have taken to running a Backup Config off the setup page every single time I make a change to the system. That's every time I add or change events, add or remove a device, etc. Probably not necessary to do it each time, but I have had to rebuild the entire system from scratch before and it gives me some piece of mind to just run the backup manually.

This was what I was thinking I would have to do as well. Automatic updates would be nice but doing it manual gives specific points in time to restore to, kind of know what you are getting.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are asking. BLBackup can be set up with an event to initiate a backup on whatever schedule you wish. If you backup The HomeSeer full directory structure, you are saving everything. Here is my Event that backs up my entire HomeSeer directory twice a day to a NAS share:

Name:	Capture.PNG
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1195895

The plug-in is set to store 60 backups (30 days). It deletes the oldest each time it is run. There is a HS Virtual device to let you know success or failure of the last backup:

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	1195896

There are HomeSeer triggers to use for an event that will notify you of a success or failure:

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1195897

Comment

This was what I was thinking I would have to do as well. Automatic updates would be nice but doing it manual gives specific points in time to restore to, kind of know what you are getting.
                      Because the "Backup Configuration" from the General tab does such a limited backup (only the \data \config and \scripts directories), I prefer to take a full copy of the HomeSeer directory structure before I make any change. That way, I can totally roll back if there is a failure. There are a number of plug-ins that put things in the \html and \bin directories which are not backed up from the General tab.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are asking. BLBackup can be set up with an event to initiate a backup on whatever schedule you wish. If you backup The HomeSeer full directory structure, you are saving everything. Here is my Event that backs up my entire HomeSeer directory twice a day to a NAS share:

[ATTACH]67528[/ATTACH]

The plug-in is set to store 60 backups (30 days). It deletes the oldest each time it is run. There is a HS Virtual device to let you know success or failure of the last backup:

[ATTACH]67529[/ATTACH]

There are HomeSeer triggers to use for an event that will notify you of a success or failure:

[ATTACH]67530[/ATTACH]
                        Sorry, I should have probably been more specific, however, you likely answered my question either way. I was specifically thinking of creating a backup of the database file, what you suggested previously to rollback. I noticed my last database file that didn't have an issue was 12/22. However, if I take a full snapshot like you are suggesting. The current database file that would have to be working to generate the back up so you could grab that from the backup and use it rather than looking for an older database file that may be missing more recent changes.

Comment

Because the "Backup Configuration" from the General tab does such a limited backup (only the \data \config and \scripts directories), I prefer to take a full copy of the HomeSeer directory structure before I make any change. That way, I can totally roll back if there is a failure. There are a number of plug-ins that put things in the \html and \bin directories which are not backed up from the General tab.
                          I am in the process of setting this up, looks like I may need to connect this computer to my NAS as well for extra redundancy.

Comment

Any guesses as to why under the zwave tab on zwave devices it says "That device has not been created in the plug-in."

I am guessing the zwave file might have been corrupt as well but this is going down a road I have not ventured.

Comment

Working...
                            X