Sump Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sump Pump

It's raining again in Illinois. My latest project has been to monitor how often the sump pump runs. Usually it never runs except when we have excess rains like now. Currently at 46 minutes between runs and have seen it as low as every 5 minutes. When it's lower than 10 minutes I have an area in the basement that gets some seepage and this tells me when to move things from that area.

This is a screen shot of the iPhone page I created to monitor the sump pump runs.

Joe
    Attached Files

well that is cool you showing us this..

but how bout the "HOW" your doing it!!!!

I have the floats in my sump that are from ebay. connected to ds10a's.. they trip and put a tick in a .mdb (rmasonjr)... then i also have an event where if the sump stays running for say 10 seconds.. to go check it as it maybe stuck.. i have had it where the pump got clogged with a rock or something.. they keep these stupid rocks in the crock which I have long taken out.. but other things fall in there..

as you can see here
    http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=130784

looking forward to a howto!!!!
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

This is how I am capturing this activity

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
      well that is cool you showing us this..

but how bout the "HOW" your doing it!!!!

I have the floats in my sump that are from ebay. connected to ds10a's.. they trip and put a tick in a .mdb (rmasonjr)... then i also have an event where if the sump stays running for say 10 seconds.. to go check it as it maybe stuck.. i have had it where the pump got clogged with a rock or something.. they keep these stupid rocks in the crock which I have long taken out.. but other things fall in there..

as you can see here
      http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=130784

looking forward to a howto!!!!
      I use a CR magnetic s coil around the "hot" wire on the sump pump with is connected to a Power Flash module. When the float triggers the motor to run the PF module is activated. Have a script that runs when the PF module is on and a script that runs when it's off. The scripts writes to an excel sheet. I use an ini file to get the last line number then increment it for the new entry. ON and OFF are both logged. Also the script write values to a virtual device. With a little math and magic I write the data from the virtual devices to an ASP page for viewing. I have the time it ran and the time between runs.

Attached image is a capture of the data collected.

I'm not a hardcore coder and I'm sure the code could be tweaked but it's working and has been for several years. http://board.homeseer.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Here is my code for the OFF cycle:

PHP Code:
      sub main(sVal)
      Dim fso,f1
      Const OpenFileForReading 1
      Const OpenFileForWriting 2
      Const OpenFileForAppending 8
      Dim lineval
      Dim timebetween
      Dim actualmins
      Dim calcmins
      Dim mins
      'lineval = 1

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
             Set file = fso.OpenTextFile("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\SumpPump\sumppumpstatus.ini", 1)

'
      Read file contents
              lineval 
      file.ReadLine()

'Close file
             file.Close

'
      *****Update sumppumpstatus.ini*****

Set fso CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set file fso.OpenTextFile("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\SumpPump\sumppumpstatus.ini"2,True)

file.WriteLine  (lineval 1)

file.Close

'*****use new line # from ini to write new data to SumpPumpStatus.xls****

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
              objExcel.Visible = False        
              Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\SumpPump\SumpPumpStatus1.xls")
              '''
      objExcel.Workbooks.Add
              objExcel
      .DisplayAlerts False
              objExcel
      .Cells(lineval1).Value "Sump Pump"

objExcel.Cells(lineval2).Value "OFF"

objExcel.Cells(lineval3).Value time()

objExcel.Cells(lineval3).NumberFormat "hh:mm:ss"

objExcel.Cells(lineval4).Value date()

objExcel.Cells(lineval2).Interior.ColorIndex 44

'******calculate time between runs*********
             timebetween = objExcel.Cells(lineval, 3) - objExcel.Cells((lineval-2), 3)
             objExcel.Cells(lineval, 5).Value = timebetween
             objExcel.Cells(lineval, 5).NumberFormat = "@"
             actualmins = objExcel.Cells(lineval, 5)
             calcmins = actualmins * 60 * 24
             mins = Left(calcmins, 5)
            hs.setdevicestring "z13",mins,true
            objExcel.Cells(lineval, 6).Value = timebetween
            objExcel.Cells(lineval, 6).NumberFormat = "hh:mm:ss"

'
      ********continue******

objExcel.Columns.AutoFit
              objExcel
      .Workbooks(1).Save 
              objExcel
      .Workbooks(1).SaveAs "C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS2\html\SumpPump\SumpPumpStatus1.htm"44
              objExcel
      .Workbooks.Close
                objExcel
      .Quit

end sub 
      Attached Files

Comment

This is a very interesting project, it's something I would like to do with my septic tank pump, I've had my float switch fail and burnout a few pumps. I would really like to be able to monitor and log when they are often on. Would you happen to have a photo of the setup that you have. I would love to see it in action.

Comment

Here's an image I took with the CRMagnet connected to my washing machine. It's the same concept and you only run one of the two wires through the magnet. I connected this to a powerflash X10 module so it reports when the wash is complete.
          Attached Files
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Is there an insteon equivalent to the powerflash module.

Also what model is that CRMagnet

Comment

Originally posted by kdlklm View Post
              Is there an insteon equivalent to the powerflash module.

Also what model is that CRMagnet
              No answer the insteon. I use the powerflash modules.

You can find the CR magnetics at Digi-Key. This is what I am using.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=0&pageSize=25

Comment

Does the CR3110 have a little LED on it. It appears from some of the pictures there's a little green LED, but I'm not sure.

Comment

No... it's a passive device.
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by X10joe View Post
                    No answer the insteon. I use the powerflash modules.

You can find the CR magnetics at Digi-Key. This is what I am using.

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksea...=0&pageSize=25
                    BTW - don't worry if it says out of stock. I have ordered several of these from DigiKey, and it may take a little while to come in and ship to you, but they always show up.

FWIW
                    Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Originally posted by spknapp View Post
                      BTW - don't worry if it says out of stock. I have ordered several of these from DigiKey, and it may take a little while to come in and ship to you, but they always show up.

FWIW
                      I ordered it from Digikey and received it In less than 24 hours, and That's shipping it to Canada. I was very impressed, considering I live in the country as well. Now I just need to find an insteon alternative to the powerflash module.

I haven't had a lot of luck with X 10 in my house. But my insteon works excellent.

Comment

I ordered 3 couplers from DigiKey yesterday. Now I just need to find the best price for the Powerflash devices. I also rewrote scripts to bypass Excel spreadsheets and simply use an ini file (my Hometroller doesn't have Excel anyways).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hey Dan... I like the way you display that. Want to share your scripts?

Robert
                          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Sure...

This version could eventually result in a large ini file, although you can prune it manually. I can very easily add code to limit the retained data to the most recent 10 or 100 events though [credit for some of the z23 script goes to whoever wrote the Last10callers script that is included as an extra in snevlCID package].

INSTALL...
                            create 3 devices and copy the led files into the html folder, and the vb files into the script folder.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ameridan; May 31, 2013, 04:58 PM. Reason: added devices to install

Comment

Thanks Dan!

I take it the devices are just status types on the status page???

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X