All these child devices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these child devices...

So, I've been confused by all these child devices that get created when I add a new Z-wave device.

I've been using those Monoprice Z-wave motion sensors. Motion and temperature work just fine but there is another child device "Home Security".

Under the Status Graphics tab in this device are 10 different statuses, A few I was expecting to find.

0 Reset Notifications
    0 OK
    2 Intrusion Unknown Location
    3 Tampering Cover Removed
    4 Tampering Invalid Code
    5 Glass Breakage
    6 Glass Breakage Unknown Location
    7 Motion
    8 Motion Detected Unknown Location
    254 Unknown Event

The only ones of these that is of use is Tampering Cover Removed, OK and Reset Notifications. There are other child devices that cover motion and temperature. The Intrusion Unknown Location seems to trip at least weekly for no reason (that I can find).

How does everyone deal with these weird child devices?

Thanks.

Personally I hide the child devices that I don't need. I tend to only use the web gui as an admin tool and use HSTouch for visualisation (where I obviously only display the devices that users need to see) so it's not a big issue for me.
    Nicolai L

Comment

I have this theory that device manufacturers buy stock Z-Wave control chips from Sigma Designs, which expose the full gamut of child devices regardless of whether it makes sense for a particular device.

Just hide them . . . . no harm, no foul.

Comment

I have a Monoprice sensor too. I wondered about that. I have hidden all PARENT devices and left the child devices. One question I keep coming back to is based on this information - I have set child items 7 & 8 to the same status text:

"Motion Detected Living Room"

But in the log, it continues to show:

Feb-04 12:26:41 AM Z-Wave Device: Floor 1 Living Room Home Security Set to NOTIFICATION for type Home Security, Event: Motion Detected Unknown Location

I'm a little unsure why it continues to say "Unknown Location" when I have changed it to Living Room location. Where does that phrase get picked up ("Unknown Location") and can it be changed?

Comment

Working...
        X