Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to lookup WINS hostname from IP address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lookup WINS hostname from IP address?

In my VB6 plugin I have the IP address (eg 10.1.1.20) from the incomming winsock connection of the machine that sent me the TCP/IP message. I've looked but I can't find, in any of the Winsock documentation, anything that will allow me to reverse lookup the computer name of the machine that sent me the message. Instead of a winsock function this may be a windows thing.

Does anyone know what the proper way to lookup the WINS computer name of a machine if you know it's IP address? Any example/sample code would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

Look for the DNS resolver function GetHostByAddress(). This function should not only check WINS, but also DNS.

Here is the same code you requested:
    http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/index.html.../ipaddress.htm
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ultra,

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for and I also didn't know about that web site. It looks like a great resource for tips and tricks.

One more question, if I added this to my project, would this be a good example of when to use a class module? Would this best be implemented as a class?

I'm still a little unclear as to when things should be classes and things should be modules.

George

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Photakis:
        One more question, if I added this to my project, would this be a good example of when to use a class module? Would this best be implemented as a class?
        George<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A class module allows you to create it as a object, where a module doesn't. They will both work, it just depends on your coding style.
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Great thanks, I played with it and it worked just fine as a class module. It gave me some practice creating one.

Actually the code from the site worked almost unchanged. All I had to do is change the msgbox's to internal debug statements and change the Public Function to a Friend Function.

With this and some other inspirations I've had, I'm going a little nuts in my hsGirder plugin. I've added about 20K in code just in the past couple days. I guess I'm dangerous when I've got some free time on my hands.

George

Comment

Working...
          X