roomba? anyone got one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roomba? anyone got one?

Has anyone got one of the new roombas? the ones that take themselves back to the charging unit when the battery gets low automatically. ?

does it actually work? i mean the unit getting back to the charger and actually recharging itself.

i thought that since it has a remote control a simple ir connection to homeseer can start the unit cleaning say at 3am each night , it would clean then return to the charger ready for the next day.
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Just saw the below on a TV ad. For those on a limited budget. ;-)

http://www.the-robo-maid.com/
    Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Ah, yes.. the robo-maid! The answer to the question:

"What do you get when you combine a cat toy, a cage, and swiffer pads?"

For the Original Poster, I wasn't aware that Roomba had finally made the product do that. I'll be anxiously awaiting responses as well.

Toby

Comment

Roomba Pro

I have a Roomba Pro that I purchased about a month ago. I was able to extend the warranty to three years by registering it. Very well put together and I have tried it for a couple of minutes on my wood floor. Works well. Stops though when it hits the small rugs in the kitchen. Got a great deal thru E-Cost at $99.99. Purchased the Roomba Pro. It came with two virtual wall units, storage bracket and remote. Still have to use it some more yet. I have to manually plug the charger in.
        Last edited by Pete; January 2, 2005, 07:31 PM. Reason: Update
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Some of the robotic types are putting the little wireless cams on them so they can remotely watch it toodle around the house. If the remote control is RF instead of IR, then it would probably be a simple setup to get it so you can drive it around via the web.
          Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Roomba

I brought one about a month ago, does not like dog hair. I was hoping to use the remote control with Ocelot so that I could program the unit to go to different roms via event but have not had the time to complete the project.
            It is supposed to go back to the charging unit but as yet it has not, but in fairness I have not really played with it enough to test it.
            Mike

Comment

Yes thats the bit i need to know. DOES IT actually make it back to the charger unit? if not i will have to decide if i want to play "Find roomba" every morning or just stick with my 1st generation roomba.
              detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

Yes

I have one of the discovery units and it does in fact make to to the recharger unit. I got it for Xmas 04- so I have not dabble with it all that much- but your question I can answer.

It seems to do a decent job on floors that a relatively simple- say you have all hardwood or all rugs- then it does a good job. Start mixing the two- the units gets confused. It thing some of my srea rugs are walls and bounces off of them.
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

i have mostly tile floors and would lok at taking the IR walls apart and making them an always on unit powered externally, then use the ocelot and an IR emitter located near the docking/charger to sent the "max" on command each night around 5am If all goes well all I will have to do is empty the dust every few days.

humm maybe one in each room, that would be scarey

Comment

Makes it back to the charger most of the time. When it gets low on battery, it does its rounds until it gets close, then it parks. If the random bumping is concentrated away from the charger too long, you may have to go look.

Long dog hair does mess with it, it twirls up around the brushes. But it does a remarkably decent job. More geek that practical, but still is labeled usefull.

~Bill

Comment

Have two of them here and the WAF is VERY high with them. From what I've seen, they do a better job cleaning than the 2K filter queen my wife talked me into buying 2 years ago! It's great to simply turn them on, let them loose and either leave or go do something else. My wife calls them them best investment she ever made

-Rob

Comment

One nice improvement

Originally posted by Bill Brower

Long dog hair does mess with it, it twirls up around the brushes. But it does a remarkably decent job. More geek that practical, but still is labeled usefull.
                        They added a Pop-Out feature for the brush, is it is easy to remove (if not clean).

I sure would like to see a HS hack so I could start the machine remotely.

bt

Comment

Originally posted by thutchins
                          (except of course to chase the cat!!!)

Tom
                          This post has been reported to PETA.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower
                            This post has been reported to PETA.
                            And this post has been reported to the Association for the Sanctimonious, Selfrightious and HumOrLEsS annonymous. Better start attending those meetings again Bill, looks like you've fallen off the wagon again!!!

And on that note I'll remove myself from this board since I'm obviously not PC enough for people like Mr Bower

Thanks to those others of you who have been so helpfull over the years.

Comment

Is this guy serious.

If you are lighten up thutchins... twas a joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X