Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

event for mail delivery ? how to setup easy

I have a sensor in my mailbox outside

I have an event , like , if mailbox delivery turns on , then send pushover message.

but i dont want if i havent got my mail out it retrigger everytime , how can i set it up easy ?

because my family get a message for new mail in the mailbox , and they can get it also out of it .

so after the mail is out of the box without retrigger , than it can trigger again if new mail is delivered...

how can i do that in a easy way?

thanks in advance guys .
    Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
    Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

You could just set it to not trigger again for something like 20 hours. So say your mail gets delivered around 10:00 AM. The event wouldn't be able to run again until 6:00 AM the next morning.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

This is also a time when global variables (which you could have a true/false variable to say whether or not the mail has already been picked up) would be good in conditions and triggers. If you agree you can add your support here http://bugzilla.homeseer.com/bugzill...ug.cgi?id=1634

Comment

I'm not quite following this. Maybe because I don't have a firm grasp on what global variables are. Could someone kindly explain this to me?
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          I'm not quite following this. Maybe because I don't have a firm grasp on what global variables are. Could someone kindly explain this to me?
          If you had a global variable that was of boolean type then you could have this set to True/False depending on the outcome of an event, then you can use this as a condition (like IF New Email AND IF AlreadyTriggered = True THEN...). You can do it at the minute with devices but I personally think it is a waste to set up a device to just hold a true/false. Of course that could be expanded to integers and other data types that can be represented in variables.

Comment

Malosa, what kind of sensor do you have in your mailbox and how is it wired?

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post
              I was going to ask the same. I tried an Aotec Door/Window sensor, which could manage the distance as I was repeatedly optomising it walking out there, but the metal mailbox snuffed the signal. I am going to try a Ecolink tilt sensor, but I expect it will be the same result.
              cheeryfool

Comment

Years ago used a wireless tilt sensor on the mailbox door. It worked OK and it was cheap. That said it was sort of in the way utilizing space in the box.

You can also just purchase a wireless sensor and DIY modify it for use in Homeseer.

Go to Amazon and search for mailbox sensor.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                  I was going to ask the same. I tried an Aotec Door/Window sensor, which could manage the distance as I was repeatedly optomising it walking out there, but the metal mailbox snuffed the signal. I am going to try a Ecolink tilt sensor, but I expect it will be the same result.
                  I use an Ecolink sensor on mine and it worked great with a Z-Troller, probably better with a Z-Net. It is about 75 feet from the Z-Net and connects direct.

It had to be modified to re-position the mechanical sensor inside, because on the inside of the mailbox door it tilts the opposite direction it would on the inside of a garage door.

I send a pushover notification every time it is opened. Since we occasionally open it to insert outgoing mail, the postal carrier opens it to insert mail and we open it again to retrieve the mail, I haven't been able to figure out any logic to notify us that there is mail in the box, but the pushover message lets us know the time it was opened.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                    It had to be modified to re-position the mechanical sensor inside, because on the inside of the mailbox door it tilts the opposite direction it would on the inside of a garage door.

Hadn't thought about that. How difficult was the mod?
                    cheeryfool

Comment

I utilize multiple sensors today plus a mail delivery flag variable which only triggers once a day.

You can also put a hidden button in the box that you press triggering the automation "you gotten your mail" flag if you want when you get your mail.

The mailbox itself is a container with a slot and a door and its mounted in brick. The sensors are innocuous and not seen even sticking your head in the box.

Box looks a bit like this but its mounted flush to the brick. The brick work was done by an obi wan mason to my specs many years ago.

Last edited by Pete; March 23, 2015, 02:54 PM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
                        Hadn't thought about that. How difficult was the mod?
                        Easy, if you need pictures let me know, but this description will probably work. The tilt sensor is a small metal cylinder with two wires coming out of it. Sort of like a small electrolytic capacitor.

If you open the sensor and lay it on its back with the battery closest to you, you will notice that he end of the sensor furthest from you is tilted up. That is so it will change state at around 60-70 degrees from vertical. I unsoldered the sensor and put a gob of modeling clay on the board, put the cover on so that I could see the height I could put the bottom (connection end) of the sensor. You could also probably guess by the battery height. I soldered two pieces of bare wire in the connections on he PC board. Then I soldered the sensor wires to those two extensions with the back end as high as possible. Then I put a small square of electrical tape on the board where the top (opposite the connections) of the sensor might contact it. Then I positioned the sensor with the top against the board and the connection end as high above the board as possible, while still allowing the cover to be installed. I put a dollop of contact cement at the point where the sensor and tape met the board. Now it triggers at about 50 degrees from vertical in the opposite direction.

Works great. I went for as much sensitivity as possible, because my postal carrier sometimes opens the door just enough to slip a couple of letters in. We always get an alert. Mine is a standard streetside pole mounted box with a fold down front door. The sensor is mounted to the door.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

im using a amst-606 modded , with extra long range

it works perfect. (its in test fase only now i need to build it better in my mailbox for now i use tape... later i use silicone)

i can show how i mounted it , its in test fase and it works incredably well,

just let me know (i use rfxcom for receiver/transmitter)

u need to open the sensor , clear the antenna and solder an new cable from UTP

These 2 pictures are not mine because i already builded in my mail bin

Clear the glas sensor thing

and solder 2 wires from utp cable and retach the glas sensor and u can use it with a magnet

You see in the first picture the antenna is removed on the right , solder in the hole a utp cable from 20cm long for the range, that will be the new antenna,

Here is my antenna comming out of the box

Here is the glas sensor with the magnet above for triggering in homeseer when it opens

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post
                          Last edited by Malosa; March 24, 2015, 09:57 AM.
                          Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
                          Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                            Easy, if you need pictures let me know, but this description will probably work. The tilt sensor is a small metal cylinder with two wires coming out of it. Sort of like a small electrolytic capacitor.

If you open the sensor and lay it on its back with the battery closest to you, you will notice that he end of the sensor furthest from you is tilted up. That is so it will change state at around 60-70 degrees from vertical. I unsoldered the sensor and put a gob of modeling clay on the board, put the cover on so that I could see the height I could put the bottom (connection end) of the sensor. You could also probably guess by the battery height. I soldered two pieces of bare wire in the connections on he PC board. Then I soldered the sensor wires to those two extensions with the back end as high as possible. Then I put a small square of electrical tape on the board where the top (opposite the connections) of the sensor might contact it. Then I positioned the sensor with the top against the board and the connection end as high above the board as possible, while still allowing the cover to be installed. I put a dollop of contact cement at the point where the sensor and tape met the board. Now it triggers at about 50 degrees from vertical in the opposite direction.

Works great. I went for as much sensitivity as possible, because my postal carrier sometimes opens the door just enough to slip a couple of letters in. We always get an alert. Mine is a standard streetside pole mounted box with a fold down front door. The sensor is mounted to the door.

Thanks Randy. Will check this out.
                            cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                            X