Backup Zee S2 Controller Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a backup Zee S2 that I hope to have set up so it could be swapped in, should the working Zee fail while I am away.

I thought I could backup the working Zee and restore the file to the new unit and be back in business. I then read "How To move a HomeSeer configuration to another system or HomeTroller" This is much more complicated.

Would the backup and restore precedure not work?

Would the backup and restore procedure not work?

Homeseer is just a directory whether it is on a Windows PC or Linux computer.

The Zee2 is just a RPi with mono on it and the Homeseer directory.

It has a DR recovery partition which write a new image to the RPI - it does not restore your configuration.

You can just copy the directory to another computer and be up and running.

This takes only a few minutes.

That said for a second backup Zee2 it is easier to duplicate the SD card from the first Zee2.

On the Zee2 computer the OS is running on a microSD card. I think the default SD card is 8Gb in size.

Just remove the SD card from you Zee2, make an image of it and write the image to another 8Gb sd card. Takes less than 3 minutes.

Best way is to keep a copy of the SD card on your Zee2.

Keep a back up SD card on your original Zee2. Tape it to the Zee2.

Use a copy of the SD card to your spare Zee2.

Backup is an image of the working SD card.

Easy peasy.

BTW it is very easy to have a back up Zee2 purchasing a second RPi.

Your second Zee2 provides you with a second HS3 lite license.

Are you going to use the second license? Here utilize multiple HS3 licenses for testing HS3 or second home use.
    Last edited by Pete; October 21, 2017, 08:27 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Would the backup and restore procedure not work?

Homeseer is just a directory whether it is on a Windows PC or Linux computer.

The Zee2 is just a RPi with mono on it and the Homeseer directory.

It has a DR recovery partition which write a new image to the RPI - it does not restore your configuration.

You can just copy the directory to another computer and be up and running.

This takes only a few minutes.

That said for a second backup Zee2 it is easier to duplicate the SD card from the first Zee2.

On the Zee2 computer the OS is running on a microSD card. I think the default SD card is 8Gb in size.

Just remove the SD card from you Zee2, make an image of it and write the image to another 8Gb sd card. Takes less than 3 minutes.

Best way is to keep a copy of the SD card on your Zee2.

Keep a back up SD card on your original Zee2. Tape it to the Zee2.

Use a copy of the SD card to your spare Zee2.

Backup is an image of the working SD card.

Easy peasy.

BTW it is very easy to have a back up Zee2 purchasing a second RPi.

Your second Zee2 provides you with a second HS3 lite license.

Are you going to use the second license? Here utilize multiple HS3 licenses for testing HS3 or second home use.
      Thanks Pete, Your suggestion sounds like the obvious way to get the backup. Is there no way to get the image without breaking the Zee open? With all of the great Pi people out there I would think someone would have done that already.

Thanks!
      Al

Comment

Is there no way to get the image without breaking the Zee open?

Yes running a linux script will do it.

Read here==>

rpi-clone

First generation Zee here never used the built in 4Gb SD card running on the first generation RPi. I copied it over to an 8Gb SD card.

I would suggest that you upgrade the current 8gb micro SD cards on your two Zee2's to 16Gb microSD cards. You will need to crack open the Zee2. Really just remove the cover over the microsd card.

I have seen 2-3 posts relating to filling up the Zee2 8Gb SD card. This will eventually cause issues. Personal recommendation is to update your original Zee2 8Gb SD card to a 16Gb SD card.

The Zee, Zee2 and ZNet devices are all just Raspberry Pi's with default RPi OS, added Mono and a Homeseer based recovery option. There is nothing special about the devices other than the Homeseer directory or ZNet stuff on them.

What you want to do is duplicate the microSD card on your primary Zee2 and do a backup routine of the Homeseer directory.

This way you can just shut down primary Zee2 and bring up back up Zee2 and just copy the Homeseer directory to be up in about 5 minutes.

Relating to your second HS3 Zee license I would use it as a test box or second home.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by DESIi1 View Post
          Thanks Pete, Your suggestion sounds like the obvious way to get the backup. Is there no way to get the image without breaking the Zee open? With all of the great Pi people out there I would think someone would have done that already.

Thanks!
          Al
          Pete, I tried to follow the directions and copy the SD card from the new Zee before opening the running Zee. When I inserted the SD Card into my computer I received two 'You must Format the card' messages. It seems two drive letters were assigned to the card. Didn't know where to point Win32DiskImager.

Embarrassing question, how to insert images into this post? Will a paste from the clipboard work? The Image icon above is looking for a http not a file from disk?

Comment

Yes Windows cannot read the Linux files / partitions. It only knows them to exist.

Win32DiskImager will know which of the drives is the SD card . The drop down box here goes to an E drive sometimes. Even though it is only one partition of the SD card it'll read the whole card.

You just tell it to read the card and it'll ask you what the name of the image it is you want to save.

It does not compress the image such that it'll be 8 Gb or 16 Gb in size.

Win32DiskImager has two functions.

1 - read an SD card and save the image of it.
            2 - write to an SD card from an image you saved of it.

BTW it is good to have an image of your SD card in case of a disaster. You can write the image to same sized SD card or larger.

Easy to insert images on the forum. When you are creating or editing a forum post and the picture is attached; do a right click on properties and you will see a number.

Put the number anywhere in the text like so.

[ATTACH]number[/ATTACH]
            Last edited by Pete; October 22, 2017, 11:29 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

It's never easy.... My new Zee is a HomeTrollerZeeS2V2. If I clone the SD card in the new V2 Zee and boot the clone SD, no problem.

But the new V2 Zee will not boot if I use the SD card clone from my original Zee S2. Seems the V2 changed the game.

Any ideas? BTW I am not Linux literate.

Thanks!
              Al

Comment

The old Zee is probably running Wheezy on an RPi2 and new one is running Jessie on an RPi3. Two different OS's and two different pieces of hardware.

The common thing between the two of them is the Homeseer directory and stuff inside of the directory.

Copy the working Homeseer directory to the older backup Zee.

The HomeSeer directory by default is in the /usr/local/HomeSeer directory.
                bu
                You can utilize WinSCP to do this or if you choose you can boot up in a Live Ubuntu USB stick on your laptop and just copy the directory that way.

Ubuntu has an explorer like program which lets you do this.
                Last edited by Pete; October 24, 2017, 03:47 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

This is a timely post for me as my Zee2 has just died. It stopped linking to the internet then a day or two layer stopped sending Z-Wave signals now won't boot (stuck at the Blue LED). I don't know if the SD Card is bad or not. I do have a backup configuration file, but as a newbie, with no Linux experience.

If I order a new Zee2 should I:
                  1). try to restore the configuration file I have to the Zee2 on it's 8GB SD card; assuming it works then
                  2). Remove the 8GB SD card and use Win32DiskImager to copy the image from it over to a new 16GB; then
                  3). Install the new 16GB SD card back into the Zee2?

Have I missed a step?

Couple of questions:
                  1). What if my back configuration files doesn't restore on the new Zee2 - does that mean I have to start from scratch and reprogram my whole system?
                  2). Where is the best place to learn more about Win32DiskImager?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

(Personally, this Zee2 failure within 18 months of use is absolutely frustration - I ran a X-10 system for 15 years and never had this much trouble.)

Comment

Originally posted by SJ Miller View Post
                    This is a timely post for me as my Zee2 has just died. It stopped linking to the internet then a day or two layer stopped sending Z-Wave signals now won't boot (stuck at the Blue LED). I don't know if the SD Card is bad or not. I do have a backup configuration file, but as a newbie, with no Linux experience.

If I order a new Zee2 should I:
                    1). try to restore the configuration file I have to the Zee2 on it's 8GB SD card; assuming it works then
                    2). Remove the 8GB SD card and use Win32DiskImager to copy the image from it over to a new 16GB; then
                    3). Install the new 16GB SD card back into the Zee2?

Have I missed a step?

Couple of questions:
                    1). What if my back configuration files doesn't restore on the new Zee2 - does that mean I have to start from scratch and reprogram my whole system?
                    2). Where is the best place to learn more about Win32DiskImager?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

(Personally, this Zee2 failure within 18 months of use is absolutely frustration - I ran a X-10 system for 15 years and never had this much trouble.)
                    First things first, hardware breaks and software breaks even more so backup, backup, backup. Even backup while you're making changes which usually where I get bit.

That said, Remember that the Zee S2 is nothing more than a Raspberry Pi 2 so that's where your trouble shooting should start.

FIRST THING, try pinging your Pi at the same IP address you locally log into it on. If you can't ping it then it's basically dead with the only question being why. If you don't remember that address is you can use a app on your phone like fing, available for both Android and iOS, to show you all of the devices on your network.

Wait, your Zee may not be dead if you're connecting using WiFi. Try plugging it into to your network using the ethernet cable. See if the LED on the jack starts flashing. If it does then the Pi is breathing but the WiFi may be dead. BTW, trouble shooting using WiFi is IMHO nuts. I always go back to hardwired just to remove as many variables as possible. If you see ethernet activity then try pinging the Pi from your PC. You'll have to find out what the IP address is but you should be able to do this. One way is to get a copy of Fring on your phone

If you can ping it then try remote connecting to your Pi and see if Linux is completely alive. I run a mac so I just use the builtin SSH to connect but you can use any good similar program on a PC. If there is no activity,

If the Pi is dead then the question is why. Has the Pi hardware failed or has the SD card just crapped out? The way to tell is to get a new SD card and installing a new image from HomeSeer and see if the Zee comes back to life, remember at this point you're just looking for life and a green LED. If it does then reload your backup and see if you can get back online. There is plenty of information on how to do this.

If a new image won't bring the Pi back to life then you could just purchase a new Pi 2. Remember they are only $35 or less so you're not out much. You'll then have to transfer the Z-Wave board to the new Pi. Not all that hard to do.

If you're thinking about upgrading to a Pi 3 your on your own. I've got one but I've never tried to see if it will work with the HS Pi image. Maybe someone else has.

OMT, If you want to try going back to your original SD card you want to make a copy.
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Thank you - really appreciate your suggestions/recommendations!!!

I will give it a try and see what I end up with.

Comment

Working...
                      X