No announcement yet.

can someone advise on outdoor camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The typical inside PIR uses only 4 wires. 2 for power and 2 for the PIR (NC/NO) and 22/4 wire.

That said many PIR's have tamper switches and my outdoor Optex PIRs also have day night switches.

It is up to you what it is you want to connect and what wires you want to bring over to the PIR.

For my outdoor Optex here used catXX for 8 wires. That said for the rest of the PIRs only used 22/4 alarm cable.

I also EOL terminated all of stuff here at the termination points using solder and heat shrink tubing. (my panel does have the auto option of EOL per zone but it is all or nothing).

My garage door switches had connectivity for NC and NO. I used both for my stuff - 4 wires. My flood sensors used 22/4 as they were 12VDC powered plus had NC/NO switches.

Inside of the garage was wired with multiple sensors including PIRs / door sensors / cctv. (more for tinkering than anything else).

BTW it all depends too on what you have available on the hardware. Old alarm panels had only a few zones connectivity so many times loops were done up for an entire room of switches (windows, doors in one room were just one zone or area). My base here started with 16 zones and I expanded it to 32 with one 16 zone expansion board, then another 16 for 48 zones and wired each sensor to the panel. I mentioned about Optex and using three NC/NO switches which go to three autonomous zones such that one outdoor PIR is really three zones of switches. Too with the alarm panel you can create area triggers using multiple zones et al type of stuff. Note this is all based in the firmware of the OmniPro 2. IE: mix this stuff up with the lighting triggers too. Follow me lighting in the house type of stuff. Then mix in Homeseer software and you can use all of the hardware and add HS variables with different controllers to do more. Many years ago would utilize PIRs to turn on the touchscreens when entering a room type of stuff.
    Last edited by Pete; December 2, 2016, 09:27 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I use the motion detection from the cameras to trigger both the porch and deck lights using BlueIris. I've been very happy with the results. Although I purchased the BI plugin for HS3, I'm not yet using it for anything. I've been able to do what I want, so far, with just BI. When it detects motion, it sends a JSON string to HS3 which triggers an event that turns on the lights. I use an event, rather than triggering the lights directly, so I can do other checks... like making sure it's after sun down, and turning the lights back off after a certain amount of time.

In my situation, I didn't want just any motion in the camera's field of view to trigger lights and such, so I created zones within BI to manage that. The porch camera, for example, can see a good portion of the front yard, but I didn't want it turning on porch lights due to front yard motion (I use another camera for front yard activity). The person (or object) must cross specific zones on the porch to trigger lights, along with other types of alerts such as sending a snapshot in a text message.

I run 4 cameras at 960P and 10fps on a dedicated i5. I use direct-to-disk recording along with a 3 second pre-record buffer which utilizes ~20% CPU usage. I used to run those same cameras in re-compression mode (non direct-to-disk) and at 30fps for roughly 50% CPU utilization.

Comment

Thanks Pete and DevinH! A lot of things to think about. Question though. If I run CAT5e cable to PIR locations (some both inside and outside), is there any concern about that cable working okay? For example, does it support a PIR if over a 50 foot run of CAT5e cable is used? I had heard that limitation from a supply store, but it was after I had already installed a fair number of CAT5e cable runs for PIR locations. I wasn't sure if I should re-run those locations using a typical PIR cable (24/4 or 24/6) or leave them as is with the CAT5e cable?

Comment

If I run CAT5e cable to PIR locations (some both inside and outside), is there any concern about that cable working okay?

No.

For inside I would stick to using 22/4 more relating to the thickness of cat5e cables going inside of your alarm box.

Network CatXX POE length limit would be 100 meters / 300 feet or so. You will not have any issues with the wire at 300 feet or less. That said may alarm folks say that catXX is fine while others just stick to using 22/4 wire. In your case you will be fine with the cat5e cables already run.

All my indoor PIRs / door switches et al utilize 22/4 and 22/2 cable. I used stranded cable and a yellow jacket or grey jacket. Thinking I started with grey then went to yellow (maybe it was just a deal on the yellow jacket wire?).

Security cable

Note too that 22/4 and 22/2 cable is easier to work with in the panel can versus catxx cable.

All my outdoor cams original wires are coaxial+2 power wires and two cat5e cables. Many of these are over 100 feet.

Over the years here went to using the catxx cables for the IP cams and outdoor PIR sensors. I had two levels of cam placements. One level installed on brick (which was a pita to run cables) and one under the eaves on the second floor (to attic). Outside away from house cameras ran in PVC chases that were done up with the irrigation system installation. (I decided to hang around with the irrigation installers and had them run multiple 1" PVC tubes fan like fashion from out of the house to the edges of the property, under sidewalks et al).

For the network cables use a tester which shows the pairs in sync. Mono Price / ebay has these testers. I have attached a picture of the Mono price one. The Ebay ones are cheaper.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Pete; December 3, 2016, 07:59 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks again Pete! I really didn't want to re-run my exterior (or interior) PIR CA cables. For further interior runs (if any), I'll switch to 22/4. Is stranded (22/4) preferable to solid or does it not matter?

You mentioned that you had exterior PIR locations (aka motion sensors?). Would you mind sharing which PIR you installed and if you're happy with them?

Comment

I prefer stranded to sold core 22/4 and 22/2. Many years ago only could get solidcore.

Two styles of PIRs.

Optex combos look like this. Sort of looking from a distance like a PIR

The other PIRs purchased look like this:

1 - Risco WatchOUT DT Wired Outdoor Motion Sensor (it is large)

2 -
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If you really don't want to change the wiring, I would suggest you buy a power supply at twice the operating voltage and use a voltage regulator for DC power or a transformer to step down AC voltage at the use point. I have done this with DC camera's that operate at 5V, I used a 12V power supply and a 5V DC regulator at the use point. in my case I was using 1.5A at 5 V so it took .75A at 12V.

Comment

Here the old 12VDC analog voltage came from the 16/2 Siamese cable which was connected to an analog type power supply (well it needed to for heaters and the such). I initially used that voltage before going to POE.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                  X