No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a link for the hardware you're considering?

Been using BCM motherboards now for about 10 years.

The new one I purchased is new old stock which is the same as the other 6 BCM motherboards that I am using today.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have a suspicion that a good processor with ports running pfsense would fix this speed issue and provide a better firewall.

Sorry if this was off topic

It is not off topic. Dependant VPN for home use is not an option anymore.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just a quickie update ....22nd of June, 2018...

Built a new mini pc (sort of) using an mITX board / Haswell series i3 here. Only add so far has been a serial port to motherboard pins utilize for the GPS / PPS NTP pieces of the firewall. Still not where I want to be.

I did notice that the new Rock64Pro does include a PCiE slot these days but has removed the RTC / Battery pieces. This would be an under $100 PFSense box.

That said the PFSense folks do not distribute a BSD ARM based build and only sell two custom ARM based devices...one look like an RPi with two network ports.
        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi All,
          Been keeping an eye on this thread on and off, Pete's NTP server looks like a nice little aside project, went to the web and could not find the board!
          Whilst research time servers I found this.

https://www.qrp-labs.com/qlg1

Whilst the hardware build for me is not an issue the software side is where I would total flounder!
          I would be interested in comments from the experts on suitability, looks OK to me but not really sure. Would hope they can also post to the U.K.

Also on the pfsense front picked up a copy of "Mastering pfsense" excellent reading although for me I will have to go back and use it for reference material.

I notice Pete has picked up on the Mark Furneaux youtube video's personally find them a little long winded but that is me. Also an avid fan of good quality youtube howto's, so here is the thing. If you are running an IP PBX check out the youtube pfsense collection from crosstalk solutions, lots of information relating pfsense setup with FreePBX.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...utions+pfsense

Peter

Comment

Thank you Peter.

I have meant to keep updating the PFSense DIY above.

Gave up on doing finding a Skylake CPU, 4Gb RAM and 4 + NIC port mini box for around $100 for time bean. (group buy).

Built a new PFSense box using an mITX board and a 4 port Intel Gb NIC in smallest case I could find.

For GPS / PPS here have always referenced this site:

NTP

Lately here have been tinkering with VPN tunnels and added some for use with my cell phone or tablet with directly access to Homeseer or whatever on my Homeseer.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the NTP link.
              Very interesting and lots of info, hopefully find everything I need there along with your NTP / pfsense post.
              Found "sureelectronics" based in China have bitten the bullet and ordered a board.

On the pfsense front bought a cheap ex firewall and loaded it with 2.3.5 x32 just to play around with.
              Will eventually use an Intel DN2800MT ATOM board and an Intel NIC I have laying about should be more than enough for my needs.

On the VPN tunnels something that I will have to set up sometime, live in the UK but need a tunnel to Pakistan when on holiday, on a side note the broadband in Pakistan is better than my UK connection. Fibre cabinet is 10 feet from the house!

Look forward to the posts.

Peter

Comment

Yes here the Sure board has been fine now over 10 years. Originally mounted it in the attic with a serial cable running down two floors to the basement. Recently changed it to mounting it in the basement with the antenna pointed to a basement window.

Geez I would just set up a second PFSense box and create a VPN tunnel between UK / Pakistan and leave it in place.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete,
                  Thanks for the advice on the VPN front, got DDNS setup for my FreePBX box only to find it already has DDNS! Will use my new DDNS for something else I suppose. Still waiting on the sure card but should hopefully be with me in the next couple of weeks and will start building the pfsense box, also got hold of some 2x20 LCD's
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-o...89~M:rk:2:pf:0

So hopefully stick one in as a clock somehow, although probably need a techy person for that.

Peter

Comment

Yeah here have been using NoIP dot com paid sub for many many years.

Panasonic has a free dynamic dns configured for their first IP cameras and while it is for Panasonic you can use it for free. No tickle required.

Homeseer also has a free dynamic DNS if you own HS3.

Here using Ooma these days for VOIP. I do have an alloted test VOIP number from the old days of testing VOIP with a DIY'd custom firmware box (couple of them from way back).

I have two VPN configurations on the PFSense box today. One is OpenVPN and the other is IPSec / L2TP VPN for use with external Linux, Android and Windows devices.

Yes it would be nice to have a clock LCD display on the PFSense computer and I do believe other PFSense users have headless running machines with tiny LCD displays on them. Will look for information. It should be easy to connect. I have done this for an old media server many many years ago.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete.
                      Away at the moment but doing the retail therapy for men "e-bay" hopefully everything for the build should be waiting when I get home so I can make a start on the box. Not sure about doing the mods on the sure card, peepers are not as good as they used to be but have a friend who can hopefully do that.
                      Glad this thread is still running, serves as good reference, think for me setting up LCDProc will be the hardest part as I am definately not a code monkey, once again will call in the help, still until the box is in production I can break it as many times as I like.
                      Got a J1900 board with PCI-e x16 so good to go with the 4 Port Intel NIC.
                      Should have enough bits around to build a second box for the Pakistan end although not sure when I am going to get there at the moment.
                      Have been running HS for a while started with genuine HomeSeer 2 box running pro, now running HS3 Pro on Win 7 also on a J1900 board.
                      Keep the post updated with the build.

Peter

Comment

Good news Peter!!!

Yes the PPS wire patch just puts a clock sync signal on one of the RS-232 wires. My original SureGPS was tacked to a cross beam in the attic next to the antenna and worked well from inside of the attic with a cat5e cable from the attic to the basement of the two story home. Recently (2 years ago) moved the Sure GPS to the basement and antenna next to a window and it works well there now too. If you want to ship it to Chicago I can modify it here for you. The cat5e is connected to RS-232 to RJ45 connectors on either side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ggps.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1263197

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete,
                          You have restored my faith in humanity, thanks for the offer of modding the sure board. I actually will walk 6 doors up my street, have a friend who used to build F1 car wiring looms and dashboards for morgan cars, not sure if you ever looked at Jon00's bluetooth but that also needs intricate soldering which he did for me. I think for me the hardware is not the issue more the software as it is out of my comfort zone, setting up the LCD to show something is I think where I will struggle although have not even looked at this.
                          Totally, a different aspect of time I do charity work for a preserved railway I am part of the telecoms team, we use electromechanical pendelum clocks to supply 6 second and 30second pulses, the 30 second pulses are then fed over copper to various parts of the railway. We have a wizard clock man who can set the clocks to lose less than 10 seconds a month with penny weights skillfully placed.

Here is the telecoms web site http://www.dfrtelecoms.org.uk/

Tried to find a clock picture in the diary but alas not.

Peter

Comment

Good news Peter. Here electronics and radio and automobiles a hobby which started in the 1960's. (amateur radio, stereos, automobiles).

Very impressive relating to the preserved railway.

I am in to time here with a few old clocks sitting around. Favorite clock here is an old Regulator which today keeps good time.

A few years ago took my time hobby to work as I was working on a Unix based time and space vectoring program which used a local GPS mostly relating to air traffic vectoring.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Hi Pete,
                              OK so I got brave and bought all the bits and pieces to modify the sure board. All went well but must admit would not want to do it again in a hurry!
                              The machine itself is assembled and the sure board mounted but not connected or tested, waiting on headers from China. I am now away until the new year so everything is on hold.
                              I wonder do you have any documentation for the sure board, the web page shows a documentation link but just takes you to the e-bay ordering page.
                              Thanks in advance.
                              Peter

Comment

I used dtdns for over a decade, had to find something new when they closed up shop earlier this year.

I'm now using dynu.com, no issues, and it is free.

I ran pfsense ha clusters within an Enterprise setting for years. Honestly I had less problems with virtual pfsense boxes than with my Cisco ASA Firewalls.

...v

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X