Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave network stopped working while away

Hi

I have a HS3 SEL-PRO with a Zee S2 as a z-wave controller, and a 30-40 node z-wave network. Things were working reasonably well. I got back from two weeks' holiday and nothing works now -- I have reset the HS3 SEL-PRO and the Zee S2 numerous times, rescanned and reoptimised the network, etc etc.

Occasionally I can issue a command that works, but there seems to be only a brief window immediately after resetting everything where I can send a z-wave command and it works. After a few minutes, or after sending one successful command, nothing works. This morning, even this has stopped working - resetting etc does nothing anymore.

Looking at the log, I can see commands going out, and a little later I see "Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device". I don't know why this is.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? What things do I check, what can I try, what are some possible culprits?

Thanks!
    Ben

Well you should log into your router and make sure the z-net has it's proper IP you assigned in HS3. Do a power cycle of the z-net, reboot hs3. It sounds as if the router assigned the z-net a different ip than it's supposed to have.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
      Well you should log into your router and make sure the z-net has it's proper IP you assigned in HS3. Do a power cycle of the z-net, reboot hs3. It sounds as if the router assigned the z-net a different ip than it's supposed to have.
      I don't understand how this could result in the problem I describe?

Also, I explicitly stated that I reset both the SEL (running HS3) and the z-net numerous times.

The network configuration has not changed since I initially set this up (and when it seemed to work for a month or so). The znet is on wired ethernet with a statically assigned IP of 192.168.86.220 (as per my home network), and the SEL is on the wifi with .203 statically assigned. Neither has changed since initial setup. I have checked the router (Google Wifi) and this seems in order. They respond on their appropriate IPs, I can go configure them etc.

I reset everything AGAIN last night, and did another complete zwave network reoptimisation. After this, zwave devices briefly responded (I could turn them on and off through HS3). This morning, nothing works through HS3. I can see the "device control" message in the log, and a short while later the "zwave error" message stating that it failed sending the command.

Bizarrely, I have some zwave remotes and if I press a button on them I see the event pop up in the log immediately, but nothing else happens (they are supposed to turn lights on/off)

Can anyone help with this? It is immensely frustrating to have such an unhelpful error message in the log. I do not know where to start looking for the problem.

Comment

I have noticed also that if I disable and re-enable the z-wave plugin, it makes devices work again, but only for a short while.

Comment

I have just tried this again. "A short while" is about five minutes. Nothing works after this point.

Comment

It kinda sounds like you have a bad routing node. The only way I know how to troubleshoot a bad node is the Z-Seer Software.

Comment

I have the same hardware as you, and a similar network, and had exactly the same problem, and it occurred at roughly the same time - perhaps there was some sort of update which affected us (and others)? I also noticed that the Z Wave plugin regularly crashed, although that wasn’t always the case when the Z Wave network stopped working.

The solution I eventually found was to update the HS3 software (by connecting to the Homeseer controller via Remote Desktop, and using the updater application). It updated the Z Wave plugin as part of the general update, and everything started working reliably again, although slowly. I then optimised the Z Wave network (through the plugins menu on the HS web access) and everything was back to normal speed.

I hope this helps!

David

Comment

Working...
              X