Need help w/ irrigation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help w/ irrigation.

Hi all, I need some advice, I just recently purchased a home in FL. And the house does not have a irrigation system, I would like to automate it but I have no idea of what hardware I need for this type of endevear, can some one help me sort this out, I no I need to install pipes and spouts out side but the integration to HS is what I am lost, thanks .
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Welcome to fla...where a outs are u? I'm in west palm beach.

It's pretty cheap to have someone come out and set it up for you but basically you want to run zones to each portion of the lot and mount an electric valve controller to each zone. Getna quality pump as the cheap ones last like a year! Then get your master controller and wire it to the valve controllers. There are some serious setups on here but I was thinking of a more basic controller for hs using an ether rain wifi enabled controller. It's only $150 and pretty simple to set up. I think there is an etherrain plugin around but I'd have to look again. Even if not, you could just set a web page screen on hstouch...
    HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Hector, all irrigation systems nowadays use solenoid valves to control each zone. Usually (always?) they are 24VAC valves, so you need something to switch them on and off. I personally use the Rain8Net, but I'm having stability issues with it. Not sure if it's my setup, a bad Rain8 unit, or what. In any case there are several options in the HomeSeer store to control your valves, and several plugins to choose from too. The HS control is the easy part! The hard part is digging up your lawn, laying pipe, placing heads, and tweaking.

Congrats on the new home!
      HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Originally posted by reidfo View Post
        Hector, all irrigation systems nowadays use solenoid valves to control each zone. Usually (always?) they are 24VAC valves, so you need something to switch them on and off. I personally use the Rain8Net, but I'm having stability issues with it. Not sure if it's my setup, a bad Rain8 unit, or what. In any case there are several options in the HomeSeer store to control your valves, and several plugins to choose from too. The HS control is the easy part! The hard part is digging up your lawn, laying pipe, placing heads, and tweaking.

Congrats on the new home!
        Thks guys, but I need some clarity. Are The valves common? Can you perchase these anywhere? In other words do I have to be concern about the interface before I buy the valves? Can I just purchase some kind of kit (valves and controller), then add the interface for HS?

I see that your using rain8, is this hardwired to HS? And how does the plugin help you out verses a regular event? What a the pro and cons of the plugin that u use?
        Hector
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I use an EzFora (Insteon device) with mcsSprinklers. Very reliable and I highly recommend mcsSprinklers. I also use an ISY-99i (Insteon controller) which adds to the Insteon reliability. A bit expensive as a setup, but it's worth it IMHO.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
            I use an EzFora (Insteon device) with mcsSprinklers. Very reliable and I highly recommend mcsSprinklers. I also use an ISY-99i (Insteon controller) which adds to the Insteon reliability. A bit expensive as a setup, but it's worth it IMHO.
            I currently use zwave in my setup, don't know if that will help me in anything..... What is mcsSprinklers?
            Hector
            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

If you don't have anything yet set up, you need to

1. Install or have someone install the sprinklers and design zones for those sprinklers, so they don't all run at the same time. Some areas need more water than others.

2. One valve controls one zone. These valves are almost always 24Vt valves, so make sure all the wires to these valves end up in one place. This is where the controller lives.

3. Assuming that HomeSeer will control these valves, you will probably use a serial cable or CAT5 cable that will connect HomeSeer to the Controller. Some controllers communicate via IP; others via serial. Visit http://store.homeseer.com/store/Sear...x?k=Irrigation for ideas.

4. When all the physical stuff is in place you can look at some of the plugins. Some are pretty sophisticated; I have each valve setup as a device and do some basic calculations to determine the time the valves are open.

Hope this helps
              Don

Comment

If you don't have any experience with irrigation systems, you will need assistance from someone with experience, or hire someone to install the pipes, vales and wiring.

The HomeSeer part is easier. I've used the Rain8Net X10 controller for years with no problems. A HomeSeer plugin is not required. HomeSeer devices are assigned to each Rain8Net irrigation zone. HomeSeer events are used to turn the devices/zones on and off.

I also have my weather station integrated with HomeSeer so I don't water the lawn if there has recently been rainfall.

Comment

I suspect you are in lightning country so you need special consideration because you will be laying a big antennae in your lawn for the wiring from your controller to your valves. When you controller is part of your automation system then you are not only providing a good path to destroy your irrigation controller, but also whatever you have attached.

Another thing to consider is your cost of water and the variabilty of your weather duirng the irrigation season. If water cost is high and weather conditions vary week to week then you will want to take advantage of your automation to save money. This is where mcsSprinklers has its greatest benefit.

As mentioned by others in this thread your need to become somewhat educated on the subject. It is not as simple as putting in an automated light switch. Use of Insteon, X10, UPB, zwave, ethernet or serial as the communication mechanism between your automation system and the valve swith electronics is a minor detail compared with other considerations of your irrigation system.

Comment

I'd start by having at least a couple of installation companies look at your site and provide estimates for installing a conventional irrigation system. That will give you a couple of alternative design suggestions and an idea of what the cost would be to have someone else do the work - and some insight into just what you would need to do if you do it yourself.

If the area to be watered is modest, you may be able to put all your valves near the point the water line exits the house, and run pipes to each zone from there. That configuration makes the wiring pretty easy, but uses more plastic pipe.

If the area is large, then you'll likely need a main trunk with lines branching from it and a valve on each branch. That requires a valve box in the lawn at every branch point, and the wiring has to run next to the main trunk with splices at each valve box to connect the valve to the cable.

Depending on local code, you may also need a back-flow preventer and periodic testing to be sure it is functioning properly.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Another consideration is whether you have or can have installed a separate irrigation meter. Not sure about Rivewview, but in most areas of central FL we have a separate irrigation meter and water line that uses reclaim water instead of tap. It's better for your lawn and MUCH cheaper than using tap water to irrigate. Your water company can tell you what your options are.
                      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Another consideration is whether you have or can have installed a separate irrigation meter. Not sure about Rivewview, but in most areas of central FL we have a separate irrigation meter and water line that uses reclaim water instead of tap. It's better for your lawn and MUCH cheaper than using tap water to irrigate. Your water company can tell you what your options are.
                        Well... that's interesting. Reclaimed water. What is that exactly and how is this delivered to the house? A separate water line?

Rob
                        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

. . . in most areas of central FL we have a separate irrigation meter and water line that uses reclaim water instead of tap.
                          Water must be REALLY expensive if a separate infrastructure to deliver two grades of water is cost-effective! (Is non-reclaimed water made by burning hydrogen? )
                          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                            Water must be REALLY expensive if a separate infrastructure to deliver two grades of water is cost-effective! (Is non-reclaimed water made by burning hydrogen? )
                            lol. Reclaim is only mechanically filtered, not treated. And since in FL we've been under water restrictions for years, yes water is very expensive. Even with reclaim water my bill reaches $100/month just for irrigation on a 1/2 acre lot.

Comment

UM,

Maybe it is because the reclaimed water is not processed by the processing plant? So, this way they just pressurize the water that is already there, unprocessed. Remember, they do not have the lakes like we do. So, to have a LOT of the state watering daily is really hard on the processing system.

My brother's house in FL is the same way.

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X