realistic or just too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realistic or just too much?

how many kinects can realistically be used? can a good PC and your pluin support 5 kinects ? I was thinking 1 in each main room in my place, primarily to be used for voice rec but particularly for detecting the number of people in the house at any one time and in which rooms.
    so my questions are:

1: what is the max # of kinects you can use on one computer ?
    2: if i can use 5 will your plugin be able to detect / report the number of people in each room? and a total?
    3: VR will it be able to tell which room the command is comng from and act accordingly? as in " turn off my lights" wil detect the command came from the den and turn off jts the lights int he denn or woudl i need to tel it where i am?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Originally posted by collegeboyslive View Post
    1: what is the max # of kinects you can use on one computer ?
    You can plug multiple kinects into the same PC, but you need to plug each one to a different USB hub. This article explains it well: http://abhijitjana.net/2011/09/20/de...s-with-system/
    I don't think there is a theoric max number, but the kinect processing is pretty CPU intensive especially if you use the camera features. So my guess is that for VR only, with 5 kinects, you should be fine with a good PC, but if you want to detect the number of people as well, you will need a VERY good PC.
    Sorry, I can't tell you much more as I don't have 5 kinects to test with.

One possible alternative is to plug the kinects to different PC, and then use the plugin as a remote plugin. This has been tested by several users and it works well.

2: if i can use 5 will your plugin be able to detect / report the number of people in each room? and a total?
    The plugin will create one device for each Kinect reporting the number of people the kinect can see (and optionally you can define specific zones for each kinect). Then you could create a virtual device to create the total number.

3: VR will it be able to tell which room the command is comng from and act accordingly? as in " turn off my lights" wil detect the command came from the den and turn off jts the lights int he denn or woudl i need to tel it where i am?
    To handle multiple kinects the plugin use the multiple instance capability of HS3, i.e you create one instance of the plugin for each Kinect. The instances are independant from eachother, so that you have one trigger type for each Kinect.
    So the answer to your question is yes you can detect where the command came from, by creating one trigger for each kinect.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X