Napco HS3 plugin connect issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Napco HS3 plugin connect issue

Looking for help please to get HS3 Napco plug-in initialized. Fairly old napco system, circa 130 zones, but panel is brand-new (6 mos), as is GEM-RS232. Connecting via USB-rs232 adapters (tried multiple). Pics attached show panel, etc. Partial log attached--- looks to me like serial port is talking as log shows some meaningful text, but panel is refusing connect. my security installer says that firmware has AUTO -- i don't know how to confirm that.
    Appreciate any help -- m

MESSAGE BOARD (copy/paste section below to message board posts)

Current Date/Time: 4/28/2017 5:06:30 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.318
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 5 Hours 22 Minutes 13 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.62
    Number of Devices: 706
    Number of Events: 131
    Available Threads: 400
    Attached Files

more info

in case you need PI versions....
    Enabled Plug-Ins
    1.0.0.131: Arduino Plugin
    2.0.5.0: BLTouchString
    3.0.19.24488: Blue-Iris
    3.0.0.29: EasyTrigger
    3.6.5.0: Harmony Hub
    3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server
    1.0.16323.357: MyQ
    3.0.2.0: Napco Gemini
    2.1.5.21: OpenSprinkler
    1.0.0.3: Restart
    1.2.2.0: SceneMaster
    3.0.6132.16975: UltraGCIR3
    3.0.6147.22046: UltraMon3
    3.0.6265.20586: UltraWeatherWU3
    3.0.1.110: Z-Wave

Comment

This is a good start. The GEM-X255 should be a supported panel but like you point out it is a newer model (9/16 on green sticker) so I assume the firmware is newer (pic says "72C4") thus some trial and error will be needed. This plugin was written for HS3 after HST decided not to support it when the move from HS2 to HS3 occurred a few years back. The panels this plugin supports are typically in the late 1990's to mid-2000's (my P9600 is circa 2005) using the GEM-AUTOMATION firmware upgrade (mind is "v40c") for those panels. Newer panels do seem to support the automation protocol but if you are using any of the newer IP network integration then it may not work. I had one person I worked with that had to turn off the IP module via Napco Quickloader to get the regular automation protocol to work. He was a Napco reseller/dealer himself and wasn't able to get Napco to work with 3rd party software developers yet to make compatible modifications. I have no idea yet if this is related to your situation but wanted to point it out as your panel is clearly a newer issue one.

So, with all that said, have you made note of the master panel code? I assume you entered that on the Config page along with the correct serial port (COM#) ? The log you show doesn't have all the detail from the startup, only a later message about not being able to establish communication with the panel.

What I recommend is under PLUG-INS->Manage you disable the Napco Gemini plugin. Next, check the box for "Developer Mode" on that page. Finally, re-enable the Napco Gemini plugin. You should get a command prompt box that has all the same output as the HS3 log but it will only show the Napco output. The first page or two of that may or may not help as we try to get the initial connection working. Be sure to turn "Developer Mode" back off or else next time you fully restart HS3 you'll get a command window for every plugin.

The other messages you do see in the HS3 log where you can make out your zone names are due to the common communication bus the panel uses with the keypads. Message from that bus are put out to the RS232/serial port unencrypted so a session with the panel is not necessary to simply decode those. Seeing those in the log does seem to indicate you have the right serial port# listed on the config page.

Nathan
      HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
      Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
      Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
      Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
      http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

debug logs

well i tried to do the developer-mode thing but not sure i got what you wanted-- maybe as i'm running on a remote PC i did it wrong. regardless, attached are 3 files with debug info: one is filtered from main log, one is the napco debug log from the HS3 directory, and one is copied from a popup CMD window which I think is the developer mode result. lemme know if i still didn't get what's needed.

i think I have the right master code -- i checked it a few times -- i'll go check again. of course i'm just using what's on the eprom sticker - assume that's what's inside the chip.
        Attached Files

Comment

After writing below, I looked back at all three files you posted. There are still some warning about checking the COM port (which we know is working) and the master code. Please be sure to triple check the master code from the sticker and that you have entered it on the Config page and clicked SAVE. You should be able to find your plugin config under your HS3 directory at HS3\Config\hspi_napco_gemini.ini Look in that file and you should be able to see the COM port and an obfuscated MasterCode= line. Let's be sure that seems AOK before the rest of my post below.

4/28/2017 8:58:11 PM ~ Napco Gemini Error ~ Not connected to panel! Check COM p
          ort and MASTER CODE on config page. Be sure to SAVE if changes are made.
          Nathan

------------------------

Thanks, you did get what I was looking for. The last text file from the cmd popup was the "developer mode" I was asking about. That gives you a clean log of the plugin output. They key bit is after all the init startup stuff. That bit confirms you have the COM port correct and are getting back the unencrypted keypad messages (those IGNORED lines) but that it's unable to established the encrypted protocol to the panel to issue commands.

Code:
          4/28/2017 8:58:03 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ OUTGOING ~ SENDING: 1A,6,0,0,0,0,2A,2A,2A,
          2A,2A,2A
          4/28/2017 8:58:04 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ DEBUG ~ ProcessPanelUpdate - STATUS_UPDATE
           - IGNORED (waiting on InitIO) [7F, 00, 00]
          4/28/2017 8:58:04 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ DEBUG ~ ProcessPanelUpdate - STATUS_KEYPAD
          _AREA1 - IGNORED (waiting on InitIO) [♥%♦ 035-LAUNDRY ROOM    REAR WINDOWS]
          4/28/2017 8:58:05 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ DEBUG ~ ProcessPanelUpdate - STATUS_KEYPAD
          4/28/2017 8:58:05 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ DEBUG ~ ProcessPanelUpdate - STATUS_KEYPAD
          4/28/2017 8:58:06 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ DEBUG ~ Timed out waiting for reply.
          4/28/2017 8:58:06 PM ~ Napco Gemini ~ DEBUG ~ Unable to establish session to pan
          el for version check
          4/28/2017 8:58:11 PM ~ Napco Gemini Error ~ Panel Startup Initialization : Unabl
          e to establish a good connection to the Napco Panel!
          4/28/2017 8:58:11 PM ~ Napco Gemini Error ~ Not connected to panel!  Check COM p
          ort and MASTER CODE on config page.  Be sure to SAVE if changes are made.
          You might check your serial port settings but generally we haven't had to mess with those. The default 9600,8,N,1 is good. The plugin does require CTS/RTS handshaking but I've never had to explicitly set that in the serial port drivers. The plugin sets the serial port parameters itself when it starts up.

In the sticky post for this forum I noted that, there have been conflicting reports of success with newer panels as long as "the TCP Communications is not checked." You need to make sure the newer "TCP Communications" is disabled even if you are not using special network hardware attached to the panel. Testing with other users has shown that having that checked alters the panels responses over the serial link and makes it incompatible with direct control that this plugin uses (i.e. the GEM-AUTOMATION protocol) You will have to discuss this with your Napco tech, especially if you are using newer features or wireless monitoring or dealer control that requires this be enabled.

Do you use Quickloader? If not, I recommend you ask your Napco dealer/tech if they will set you up with Quickloader and show you the basics on how to access your panel via the serial port. That access can be key to making this setup with HS3 and plugin work talking with your panel. It might seem daunting at first but it's worth the time investment to learn a few basics of quickloader. I'm hoping your napco dealer/tech will set you up with this. I don't have to use it often but when troubleshooting I do occasionally use it. It's how you check if settings like "TCP Communications" is on or off. You can also get direct panel logs, verify zone names etc.

As reference only - there are a couple other good threads on this board where I did a bunch of troubleshooting with some other users Not Connecting HS3P -> GEM-3200 and Log Error - new P3200 setup I'm not saying those threads have any magic answers but just wanted to show we've done a lot of troubleshooting to get some older and newer panels working.

Nathan
          HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
          Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)

Comment

ok -- thanks for all the help so far. it's a big help to know the expected port settings -- i realize rs232 will auto-handshake but knowing they're right is a help. suggest you put them in a sticky -- i looked for them for while....

here's my plan now:
            a) while i'm certain the master code is same as on sticker, i'll change it a couple times and confirm the .ini is updating.
            b) my napco tech is a great guy -- i'll get him here and set up quickloader
            c) will turn off IP access - don't need it fo anything
            d) will confirm the master code (i assume quickloader shows that too)

that'll take a week or two -- back to you in awhile. -m

Comment

Update: i checked the master code again, and confirmed that the encrypted info in the .ini changes when i modify the value on the PI Config screen. (and I changed it back).

Talked to my Napco tech -- he says they never enable the IP access, so likely that is NOT the issue.
              I'm going to try to hook up Quickloader but that my be a project too. :-)

Comment

Nathan -- finally back at this -- still same connect problem.
                QuickLoader is now confirmed to work.
                Master Code is confirmed via QL.
                IP access is confirmed OFF in the QL comms setup page.
                My Napco tech is here and we tried using both GEM-rs232 and PCI-Mini converters with no avail.

Any other thoughts or options? thx, mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I must have missed the new post notification. Didn't mean to let this sit but have been on vacation and the normal summer home chores so didn't see it until now.

It sounds like you have tried everything I know to look for. The last time we had a total failure that we were able to switch to success was with the TCP/IP communications setting. If that is on, you get this type behavior where right up front the encrypted communication to the panel can not be established.

Are there any other newer options you can see in Quickloader about TCP/IP or enabling or disabling the GEM-AUTOMATION protocol? Is there any chance you're installer has a panel I could demo for a few days? I know that's a long shot. I don't have a good way to obtain or demo newer panel firmware like you have unless someone can send me one.

Nathan
                  HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)

Comment

Working...
                  X