X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling x10 devices or events from z-wave devices

Hi,

It seems my thread has disapeared so I'll try to summarize:

Having a few z-wave 4-button controllers, capable of doing associations within Homeseer on the Manage Associations page. These take up only one device when added to Homeseer.

I want one the four buttons to either control/trigger an HS event or control a X10 device.

Can anyone solve this?

In the associations drop down only z-wave devices are shown (psysical ones) and a devices called "Homeseer".

I have tried to make "fake" or "virtual" z-wave devices but without any luck. Can I modify the devices.cfg in any way to make such a device type?

Rupp?

Best,

Mav

maverick,

In short, no, because of the differences between the X10 and Z-wave architecture.

But there is a work-a-round; you simple need to have each button associated to a z-wave module. These modules could be either dimmers or switch modules.

Then you could trigger HS events from each of the z-wave module's status change. The action for each event could then be the X10 units you want to control.

This may also be dependent on the brand of 4-button controller you have. Meaning this may only work the way you want it to with the Cooper Lighting controller. Read more about the different scene controllers here: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...556#post891556

Example: Associate a z-wave module to button one of the 4-button controller. Create an event with the action to turn off 1 or more X10 modules and trigger the event by using the z-wave module state changing to off. Then create an event with the action to turn on 1 or more X10 modules and trigger the event by using the z-wave module state changing to on.

Repeat this for each button on each 4-button controllers.

Now that you have 4 z-wave modules for each 4-button controllers, what do you need X10 for? LOL

I have an old ACT single button controller that will allow the control of 3 groups. Group 1 controls another z-wave dimmer at the other end of the hall and group 2 controls a lamp that stays on all the time if we are home. When I "double tap" the ACT controller it will turn off the group 2 lamp and a HS event is setup with the actions to shut down all modules in our house and set a virtual (X10) device to “AWAY” When we return home a motion detector actives the “Home” event to turn on all our lights.

Hope this helps. It’s not prefect, but it works.

Good luck -Rick

PS This thread may also help: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=120372
    Last edited by HiTech; November 14, 2009, 05:24 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Thank you very much HighTech

So just for clarification:

I need a real recieving Z-wave device to base the HomeSeer events on - right?

Migrating from X10 to Z-wave really then takes out a great deal of the value in the HomeSeer application since I basically cannot z-wave trig anything in HS without having a physical z-wave to represent the device in HS.
      There has got to be a catch here - or a way around this - otherwise I simply dont get the business model of HomeSeer (which I have used for 10 years with great pleasure) in the years to come.

Best,

Mav

Comment

Comment

Interesting conversation. I'm in a similar boat in that I use an X-10 controller to call events, primary to turn off everything at bedtime and another to wake up.

I'm having trouble with the X-10 being reliable, and my Z-Wave stuff is rock solid.

Perhaps the way out of this is to have a Z-Wave controller that talks to a scene Z-wave device...
          Don

Comment

Thank you for the explanation Rick - Z-wave has the same structure (more or less) as a TCP/IP network.

I will go for a migration towards Z-wave anyway mainly because of the reliabillity of the devices. But I hope HomeSeer get some sort of functionality in place to support the triggering of events from Z-wave controllers (like setting in/out of home, setting night/day mode).

Until then (hopefully;-) ) I would really like to know if anyone finds other work arounds than having a physical z-wave device present to trig events.

Best,

Mav

(Sorry for the two threads - but the other one I made disappeared for some hours)

Comment

Hey Mav,

Look at this post and see if HS works the way you were expecting.
              http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138678

Comment

Working...
              X