Cant Delete VWS devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant Delete VWS devices

I"m running the latest version of VWS plugin from the HS3 updater.
    I've tried everything I know (which is little). I delete all the useless devices in VWS (e.g. Channel 6 temperature rate..). When HS3 restarts, they're back... Although deleting devices is necessary, how about an initial screen that lets one pick which items from the CSV get devices created??

Tom

Originally posted by yelloow7t View Post
    I"m running the latest version of VWS plugin from the HS3 updater.
    I've tried everything I know (which is little). I delete all the useless devices in VWS (e.g. Channel 6 temperature rate..). When HS3 restarts, they're back... Although deleting devices is necessary, how about an initial screen that lets one pick which items from the CSV get devices created??

Tom
    Tom, the device list was setup intentionally this way. Depending on which database you are monitoring from VWS app. determines how many devices are read from csv files. I will however look into a optional flag or something in the configuration, but I do not want to mess with what most users use or expect.
    -Larry

A member of "The HA Pioneer Group", MyWebSite

Plugins:
    VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
    Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Originally posted by lpitman View Post
      I will however look into a optional flag or something in the configuration, but I do not want to mess with what most users use or expect.
      I would love this - I hate having all of the extra devices to sort through...

There are probably more that aren't applicable to my setup than to that are.

Comment

Have you tried the Display Filters yet? Floor --- Room --- Device Type

Looks like you could uncheck devices in the Device Type to remove from display without deleting devices.
        -Larry

Plugins:
        VWS, AB8SS, lrpSpeak, Calendar, Arduino, Harmony, BlueIris, Sprinklers, ZipBackup...

Hardware:
        Intel NUC8i7BEH1 running Windows 10 Pro headless, HS3 Pro, Plex running on Synology dual High Availability DS-1815+ NAS (24Tb each), Synology Surveillance Station running on DS-416 Slim (8Tb), Samsung SmartThings, Google Home, Alexa, Hubitat Elevation, ZNET, Ubiquiti UniFi Network, Davis Vantage Pro II Weather Station. Whole house speaker system using a couple of AB8SS switches. Vantage Pro II Weather Station, Rain8Net Sprinklers, Hubitat Elevation, Google Home, Alexa, DSC Security System, Ubiquiti UniFi Network.

Comment

Have you tried the Display Filters yet? Floor --- Room --- Device Type

Looks like you could uncheck devices in the Device Type to remove from display without deleting devices.
          Definitely - I use the filters all the time. I guess I could add a new Category of "VWS - Unused". I'm always hesitant to change Device Type because some plugins use this internally. I see three device types for VWS: "Data Import" (104 devices), "Import Status" (2 devices), and "Type: Plug-In: VWS" (106 devices).

That being said, of my 397 devices, 106 of them are from VWS. And of those 106, less than half actually get updated with data. And of the ones that do get updated, I actually only care about ~25 of them. Having all of the extra devices is somewhat messy and does slow things down if I want to view all of my Homeseer devices at once (I don't generally do this, but when I am selecting and unselecting filters, I do sometimes end up showing all of my devices and it takes forever).

A couple of other suggestions would be:
          - implement device grouping - this makes the display a lot cleaner.
          - change the default device types to "VWS Data Import" and "VWS Import Status" so it is easy to recognize that these device types are for the VWS plugin. Other plugin authors could use "Data Import" or "Import Status" and that could become messy.

Just my two cents...I'm not complaining, but since yelloow7t, I wanted to add my opinion.

Thanks,
          Scott

Comment

What Scott12v said. I am using 10 VWS devices. Running a hometroller, using vnc to configure....takes minutes to scroll through the 100+ unused VWS devices. Also, why have a delete option if it doesn't work? You'll be answering this question for years...
            Tom
            Last edited by yelloow7t; February 25, 2014, 03:24 PM. Reason: Found that the device listing will sort, but really slow

Comment

I am just finishing up another revision to VWS, should be sending it the the updater this weekend.
              -Larry

Plugins:

Hardware:

Comment

I am just finishing up another revision to VWS, should be sending it the the updater this weekend.
                Awesome!

Comment

Larry,

Let me know if you need help - I agree with the suggestions on doing something to filter devices out.

I also would add to the suggestions with the use of the root/child relationship status and associated devices. If you create ONE root device, then at least when you are viewing hundreds of devices, the grouping makes it easier to see transitions between different device groups. If you create SEVERAL root devices, then you can put all of the temperature child devices together under one parent/root, all of the wind devices together under another, etc.

For now I am hiding the devices I do not use. I don't know if you check for missing devices every time it starts (have not played with it much) or if you only do it when told, but if you only do it under certain circumstances then I could also delete the devices I do not care about I suppose.

Thanks!
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Do you have any examples of root/child relationship status and associated devices in code? Just need a visual to help understand.
                    -Larry

Plugins:

Hardware:

Comment

I posted a sample program in the developer's area many moons ago. All of the sample plug-ins also contain examples, and the SDK documentation has examples.

In the HomeSeer scripting documentation, look at "The Device Class" under "Device Association" and "Relationship Status".

What you can do is create a root device (which does nothing more in this case than to tie together all of the other devices related to it) and that will group, in the display, all of the other devices together and surround them all with a border in the device management page. What makes more sense here is for you to create a root device for each "group" of information, and relate just the specific child devices to that group. For example, create a root device for "Temperatures" and group all of the devices related to temperature together under that root. Create another root for "Wind" and put all of the devices for wind together under that root.

The use of root/child is less important for this because it does not implement a specific API, but if it were a thermostat or something like that, then the grouping helps find all of the devices related to a specific instance of something. If you had 2 thermostats, you would have 2 cooling setpoint devices, and would not be able to tell which one is for which thermostat - the parent/child (root/child) relationship takes care of that.

Right now the more important thing is to work on how YOU track and manage the devices, because if I change the location or the name of the devices, the plug-in stops working, which is just not right. You should be enumerating all of the devices at startup, looking for the ones where the Interface property is set to the name of your plug-in, and then look at the plug-in extra data storage in the device where you can store information that tells you what device it is. This way, the user can change the name, location, whatever and you can still find it. Then, once you find the device, you only need to keep the device reference ID to be able to update it. If you look in the plug-in SDK documentation, you will find everything about PlugExtraData - you can for example do a GetNamed("VWSDevice") where you may have stored an integer value that tells you which device it is. If it does not exist, you can do an AddNamed to add it to the device, and of course do an AddNamed when you create the device so that it stores this information.
                      Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
                      X