EX Flora vs Smartenit controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EX Flora vs Smartenit controllers

I am looking in changing over my sprinkler control from X10 to Insteon. I see where EZFlora has an 8 output module for about $125 and Smartenit has an output and either 7 or 3 input module for about the same price. Why would I not use the Smartenit and then be able to utilize the extra inputs for a rain sensor and other things?
    Thanks
    Dan

What is your motivation to change anything? If you are going to change then why continue to be tied to a powerline gateway rather than go directly to IP? Does your automation consist of getting access via smartphone or is your motivation related more to integration with other automation and with water use reduction? Are you concerned about ligntning? Which hardware solution provide the best immunity to this environment?

Comment

I am currently using X10 for sprinkler control and lighting control throughout the house. The sprinkler control has missed a few off commands causing the sprinklers to run for some time. I wanted to begin to convert the entire system over to Insteon because I was under the impression that it utilizes both wireless and power line communications. I wanted to start with the sprinkler control and then slowly change the rest of the X10 devices out. I wanted to use an Insteon control for the sprinklers rather than the OpenSprinkler product in case I want to use a different front end software other than HomeSeer in the future.
      Dan

Comment

Quicksmart Etherrain is an IP controller you may want to look at. While it has an open interface it also provides a cloud-based scheduling service if you want to move away from your own automation controller. I think you will also find Insteon only uses powerline for control.

What X10 control do you use now for irrigation? The one that I am familiar is the Rain8X10 and it has timers that protect from the situation you mentioned about valve remaining ON. An intelligent controller with safety provisions such as this is something you should seek no matter what control technology is being used.

Comment

Working...
        X