HomeSeer as your alarm system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom,

I am attempting to do the exact same thing, that is, depend entirely on a self-monitored Z-Wave system for my home security. As I do not travel, and am always around town, and always sleep at home, I do not need a 24x7 professional monitoring service and its attendant fees.

I should say that while not new to computers, I am new to both Homeseer software and to Z-Wave hardware. I am starting out with HS3Pro running on Linux in a dedicated Intel NUC. I am adding sensors to the system, wireless z-wave sensors for doors and windows, and z-wave motion sensors for all or most rooms in the house. I then will create HS3 events where, each time a sensor is breached, I get a customized notification, say "Front Door opened", etc. At first, I tried doing this via emails to my cellphone, and there was a 30 to 40 second lag in receiving the notification, which is unacceptable. Someone at the forum then suggested I use a free service called "Pushover", generating the notifications with a free HS3 plugin someone here at the forum wrote. The results are incredible. Just to test it, I created an event (turning a light-bulb on) and having HS3 send me a Pushover notification the moment the lamp went on. I can then from my cell phone issue an HSTouch command to turn the lamp on and see how long it takes for the notification to arrive. From anywhere I have tried, even one town over, the lag is less than 4 seconds, which I thing is more than acceptable.

I then plan to install a few IP cameras around to check what's going on before I call 911.

My only hangup is this. I do not want to receive notifications all the time, so would like to be able to issue from my cellphone HSTouch app a single command and either turn notifications on, or off, or, if I am home and going to bed, for example, turn off motion sensors but have an alarm go off if the perimeter is breached, pretty much the same three settings in all commercial systems.

Do you have any idea how to accomplish this in HS3?

Also, if you have any recommendations for decent z-wave door/window sensors and motion sensors, I can use that too.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Arsene View Post
      Tom,

I am attempting to do the exact same thing, that is, depend entirely on a self-monitored Z-Wave system for my home security. As I do not travel, and am always around town, and always sleep at home, I do not need a 24x7 professional monitoring service and its attendant fees.

I should say that while not new to computers, I am new to both Homeseer software and to Z-Wave hardware. I am starting out with HS3Pro running on Linux in a dedicated Intel NUC. I am adding sensors to the system, wireless z-wave sensors for doors and windows, and z-wave motion sensors for all or most rooms in the house. I then will create HS3 events where, each time a sensor is breached, I get a customized notification, say "Front Door opened", etc. At first, I tried doing this via emails to my cellphone, and there was a 30 to 40 second lag in receiving the notification, which is unacceptable. Someone at the forum then suggested I use a free service called "Pushover", generating the notifications with a free HS3 plugin someone here at the forum wrote. The results are incredible. Just to test it, I created an event (turning a light-bulb on) and having HS3 send me a Pushover notification the moment the lamp went on. I can then from my cell phone issue an HSTouch command to turn the lamp on and see how long it takes for the notification to arrive. From anywhere I have tried, even one town over, the lag is less than 4 seconds, which I thing is more than acceptable.

I then plan to install a few IP cameras around to check what's going on before I call 911.

My only hangup is this. I do not want to receive notifications all the time, so would like to be able to issue from my cellphone HSTouch app a single command and either turn notifications on, or off, or, if I am home and going to bed, for example, turn off motion sensors but have an alarm go off if the perimeter is breached, pretty much the same three settings in all commercial systems. You can control the virtual devices with HSTouch.

Do you have any idea how to accomplish this in HS3?

Also, if you have any recommendations for decent z-wave door/window sensors and motion sensors, I can use that too.

Thanks
      With virtual devices. Create one for perimeter notifications and a second for interior notifications. Then use the virtual devices as conditions in the appropriate notification events. Turn them both off for no notifications or turn the interior notifications off to just get perimeter notifications.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Beautiful! Thanks!!

I explored the idea and think I can get away with a single virtual device, with three different status, for example,

"Disarmed" (for no notifications at all)
        "Armed-Stay" (for perimeter notifications)
        "Armed-Away" (for both perimeter and motion sensor notifications).
        Last edited by Arsene; January 12, 2016, 07:56 PM.

Comment

I've done a lot of work here since my initial post. Quick summary:

Z-Wave (Aeotec) door / window sensors on all doors
          Z-Wave (Ecolink) motion sensors inside
          Z-Wave (Aeotec) Sirens inside
          Insteon 6 button switches at exit doors with custom engraved Arm Stay, Arm Away, & Panic buttons
          iPad mini wall mounted with frame running HSTouch for disarm keypad when Arm Stay
          Z-Wave (Kwikset) doorl ocks (individual codes used for disarm when Arm Away)

Events setup in HS3 for Arm modes, and door window / motion events depending on Arm mode. These events either trigger disarm stays or alarm states. Alarm states trigger siren and push notifications (and sometimes text events as well). The user experience / scenarios are much like a traditional alarm panel but better and more flexible.

Oh, HomeSeer and all network elements are on battery backup with notifications of failure (push and in house text to speech).

So far, I'm pretty happy with it.

-Mike

Comment

I've started to use BLSecurity Plugin, but may just go about setting up events to do this, as it may be more flexible and allow for more control.
            I started to document my journey in this thread - the setup I'm putting together.
            http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...02#post1215502

Originally posted by Arsene View Post
            Beautiful! Thanks!!
            I explored the idea and think I can get away with a single virtual device, with three different status, for example,

"Disarmed" (for no notifications at all)
            "Armed-Stay" (for perimeter notifications)
            "Armed-Away" (for both perimeter and motion sensor notifications).
            Last edited by TomTom; January 13, 2016, 09:59 PM.
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Mike,
              I like the idea about the 6 button switch at the exit door. I could do that with a z-wave multi-button switch too.
              Could you post pics how you set up your events for arm and away and etc.
              I'm thinking, about doing the same, instead of using the plugin.

thanks

Originally posted by msbreton View Post
              I've done a lot of work here since my initial post. Quick summary:

Z-Wave (Aeotec) door / window sensors on all doors
              Z-Wave (Ecolink) motion sensors inside
              Z-Wave (Aeotec) Sirens inside
              Insteon 6 button switches at exit doors with custom engraved Arm Stay, Arm Away, & Panic buttons
              iPad mini wall mounted with frame running HSTouch for disarm keypad when Arm Stay
              Z-Wave (Kwikset) doorl ocks (individual codes used for disarm when Arm Away)

Events setup in HS3 for Arm modes, and door window / motion events depending on Arm mode. These events either trigger disarm stays or alarm states. Alarm states trigger siren and push notifications (and sometimes text events as well). The user experience / scenarios are much like a traditional alarm panel but better and more flexible.

Oh, HomeSeer and all network elements are on battery backup with notifications of failure (push and in house text to speech).

So far, I'm pretty happy with it.

-Mike
              Tom
              baby steps...starting again with HS3
              HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
              HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
              Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
              In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
              System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

How are you doing the "disarm" command? I wouldn't want that to be a button, but rather force someone to enter in a code.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                  How are you doing the "disarm" command? I wouldn't want that to be a button, but rather force someone to enter in a code.
                  I haven't read any of the other posts, so please excuse me if this isn't what you are looking for...

I use the nice z-wave Yale locks. It knows who enters their code and when. It can also be used to activate different levels of "disarmed".

For instance, HS knows that an Airbnb guest has arrived. So, all the motion sensors for the areas they are supposed to be in are deactivated, but not in the upper or basement levels they shouldn't be in. When I or my wife come home, it knows it is us and fully disarms the house.

edited:
                  HS Store has these for a good price. I have both the deadbolt and non-deadbolt versions:
                  http://store.homeseer.com/store/Z-Wa...ocks-C335.aspx
                  http://store.homeseer.com/store/Yale...ock-P1441.aspx
                  Pretty competitively priced if you look around. Any difference in price (if it is higher than Amazon) is offset by the help in integrating with HS from HS staff.

Comment

That's an interesting idea. Right now our alarm is separate from HS3, but I'm planning on getting a new alarm system. I think my wife would love the idea of disarming the alarm when we unlock the doors (we have Schlage Z-Wave locks).

Comment

A dedicated alarm system is always a good idea if one can swing the cost. There are some good ways to tie the HS3 and alarm together if you get the right system. I haven't jumped into that yet because it is still a little cost prohibitive for us for what we will additionally get from it.

Comment

Disarm is done either by proper unlock code on the door locks or via a touch screen mounted on the wall. (iPad Mini running HSTouch). The screens on HSTouch are setup where when you touch the Disarm button, you are prompted for a code via a keypad before being able to disarm the alarm. Countdown timer is sounded via the Z-Wave siren module as well as via text to speech through HS Touch.

I'm still working through the events and flows. I'll post images when done. Another week or so.

-Mike

Comment

Why not use a Arduino to control the sensors, alarm and notifications? The Arduino can notify HS of an event. Arduino could also send a heartbeat to HS so you would get a notification if the Arduino stopped. I have found that HS3 is very reliable as long as there is no orphaned events or misconfigured hardware.

Have a look at this Arduino alarm system: http://hackaday.com/2014/09/02/ardui...-and-whistles/
                          Last edited by mbirrell; March 30, 2016, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if I can place a z-wave motion detector on the visor in the car in the driveway to alarm a vehicle? We park our cars in the garage but when we have guests I would like to be able to alarm their vehicles in the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeenHeavyinFlorida View Post
                              Does anyone know if I can place a z-wave motion detector on the visor in the car in the driveway to alarm a vehicle? We park our cars in the garage but when we have guests I would like to be able to alarm their vehicles in the driveway.

If they can communicate directly with your controller or use a device in your garage to route it through, the Z-Wave portion would work fine. The PIR would work as well if the passenger compartment is in its field of view. It may or may not sense motion from someone outside the car.
                              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                                If they can communicate directly with your controller or use a device in your garage to route it through, the Z-Wave portion would work fine. The PIR would work as well if the passenger compartment is in its field of view. It may or may not sense motion from someone outside the car.

Thanks, I will give this a try.

Comment

Working...
                                X