No announcement yet.

Gate entry control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a GTO gate and ended doing what I thought was the simplest method.

I buried LV wiring from the gate into the garage and wired it up with an evolve relay just like my garage door. That approach is well documented here for garage doors. I didn't need a sensor on the gate since its on camera but if I wanted to, I would utilize the same LV wiring to add a contact for my alarm panel and use it that way.
    HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

I use blades blgamepad (used to be stipus di). You get +10 inputs on $10 gamepad you can use this Way for your keypad digits. For sensoring is use loop magnetic sensors infront and behind the Gates. Also connected to the gamepad. For controlling the motors on your gate automatic i use Jon's maxibee.
      For camcontrol i use Ultras netcam. The rest is events and triggers in hs3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
      Best,
      Jakob Sand, I automate everything!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisO View Post
        It has finally come time to build this gate. I would like it to function in the following way.
        1. I would like to have keypad which I can hard wire to my network that can integrate with homeseer. . . so that people can open it from when entering and exiting.
        2. The gate would then need to close automatically after a certain time. There would need to be a sensor in the gate post that if actuated prevented the gate from closing on a what ever was actuating the sensor.
        3. There would need to be the ability to open the gate and close it at a certain time, and leave it open or closed, ie deactivate the automatic closure of the gate when necessary
        4. I would need an outdoor IP camera that I could use to see the person at the gate
        5. And a two way audio system so that I could communicate with them, and let them in.

Is anyone aware of a system which functions like this, or what components I would need to put together to achieve this overall function?
        Chris,

I have an opener similar to this one, but about 7 years old now. It has been extremely reliable and is capable of doing what you describe, but some of your objectives are independent of the gate itself.
        1. The keypads are outside my experience. I'm sure they exist, I just am not familiar with them
        2. Auto close is standard. A variety of safety sensors are available that integrate easily with the gate. I use both an IR beam and a 'safety edge' pressure switch.
        3. You can do that with relays controlled by HS. You'll just have to provide enough control wiring to have a pair for each function.
        4. Lots of options for cameras. This is totally independent of gate operator choice.
        5. Intercoms are a fairly standard accessory for gates. It's possible that you can find one that integrates the keypad you want too.

I chose a slide gate because I was concerned that snow - especially piles generated by my plowing contractor - would interfere with a swing gate. After seven winters I am convinced that was a good decision.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

gate control revisited

I never did build this gate back when I asked the original question. But I am now. Does anyone have any other/updated wisdom that they might be able to share as to how to accomplish the various objectives in the original post?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris

Comment

DoorBird

It may be over kill in your situation...
            But I put DoorBird on my gate and it works excellent.
            I can see who's there, monitor motion (activity) around gate
            and open from anywhere.

Comment

I use a garage door buddy on both of my gates. It has two relays and is network/wifi accessible. I have not yet, but do plan on writing a HS plugin for them. In the short term you can control them with http requests.

No gate status on these, just open/close relays. For my gates (lift master) I had to buy the optional control board that had separate open and control connections (the default just has a toggle)

Good luck!

Comment

If someone had written a plugin for Kantech to HS already, I would tell you to install a longspan network module on either end of the CATX cable that goes to the gate, buy a Kantech KT1 and install it out at the gate, and load entrapass onto your HS server....

No such plugin exists at this time.

You may still want to investigate this as it would be a good option for reall access control for this. If you installed a little switch out there you could put your IP camera out there as well.

I will probably be doing some very extensive Kantech experiments in the near future (if a few plans I have work out) and in that case I may be trying to work with someone in this community to write a plugin. Getting the Kantech API to talk also gets you connected with a DSC powerseries NEO system since all points in a NEO can be shared to a Kantech installation.

Comment

Doorbird

Originally posted by JB-dallas View Post
                  It may be over kill in your situation...
                  But I put DoorBird on my gate and it works excellent.
                  I can see who's there, monitor motion (activity) around gate
                  and open from anywhere.
                  Thanks JB, this sounds like it might work, does it need a plugin to integrate with homeseer events? By which mechanism does it actuate the gate opener?

Comment

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
                    I use a garage door buddy on both of my gates. It has two relays and is network/wifi accessible. I have not yet, but do plan on writing a HS plugin for them. In the short term you can control them with http requests.

No gate status on these, just open/close relays. For my gates (lift master) I had to buy the optional control board that had separate open and control connections (the default just has a toggle)

Good luck!
                    thanks Bsobel, the link from your post "garage door buddy" took me to gocontrols garage door opener (which may have not been your doing, as when I google garage door buddy, something else comes up). If it is the gocontrol garage door opener you are using, I understand this is Zwave compatible, so it would not need a plugin beyond that which controls a Zwave controller. Garage door openers have a 2 pole wire input that usually goes to the button which manually opens the garage door and gocontrol garage door opener connects to that button. Which gate opener motor are you using? Does the gate opener motor have terminals where the gocontrol garage door opener can be hooked up?

Comment

DoorBird

There is a plug-in for DoorBird, as well as, a very nice stand-alone app.
                      DoorBird provides several methods to trigger the gate opener.

Comment

Working...
                      X