Andersen Power windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andersen Power windows?

Ive just gone into Contract to have all new Andersen 400 Series Woodwright windows installed in my house...

a few of them are the casement type, I noticed andersen sells a Power window module for their casement windows...

I really like the idea of being able to operate the windows via Homeseer, does any plugin operate the Andersen Power window actuator? or is there other hardware that can actuate a casement window and connect to Homeseer?

the Andersen operator has a rain sensor and from what I can tell an RF remote control.. so im thinking there;s some type of transmitter that can be used to do this? of course my ACRF plugin can RECEIVE radio signals.. but is there anything to TRANSMIT RF signals in the way of hardware?

what have others done to Power operate their Casement windows?

I realize there is likely not much thats going to operate a Double hung window, at least not a Heavy duty wood one like some of the ones im getting installed..

your thoughts?
    -Christopher
    PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Mostly what I have read relating to any type of windows automation is relating to infrastructure to automation of windows; mostly about gauge of wires to windows to control motors, switches and so forth.

Thinking once this is done the rest is cake; relating to control et al...wired or wireless...if there is a switch then you will have no issues controlling it with HS.

Neato stuff...never seen an automated casement window...

I had Andersen windows in the house previous to current one...(well 30 years or so)....around year 20; Andersen replaced all my windows in two days due to a defect....it was very impressive how fast they did it....
    Last edited by Pete; June 14, 2014, 08:41 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

andersen makes the operator for it.. comes with a power box that will control up to 4 casement cranks.. looks pretty straightforward.. uses 18-2 wire for a 24 VDC motor.. the andersen power box handles current detection for windows that are open or closed.. as well as the inputs for rain sensors..

that power unit has buttons on the device itself as well as an RF remote.. ive seen some posts online about how people just used the motors themselves and automated it via relays.. however I would Like to keep the Andersen box if possible.. just because I dont run the risk of stripping the gears out of my window or starting a fire from a hing motor because Homeseer froze, died, or otherwise something went wrong at the wrong time.

as far as andersen the company.. I have 10 year old andersen 200 series (installed by my builder).. the builder TOTALLY muffed the install.. twisted frames, missing shims, screws in the wrong spot, cramming a wood window into a brick opening without clearance etc.. andersen has sent a factory rep out TWICE to perform free of charge adjustments, added weatherstripping and replaced 2 sashes that cracked due to the bad install.. even though they could prove that the windows arent at fault.. they still did this for me.. alas why ive chosen andersen full frame woodwrights as the replacements.. to stand by a product mis-handled by the installer is not something you find these days...
      -Christopher
      PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House

Comment

that power unit has buttons on the device itself as well as an RF remote..
        Purchase a "spare" remote and reverse engineer it.....crudely you can just take it apart and solder wires to the switches (or buttons)...build a little box....and call it an Andersen Windows Homeseer automation hub....

Unless you want to get into the RF to and fro stuff which can get time consuming....(that whole standard versus non standard RF stuff as in willy nilly automation engineering stuff).

You can also call them as ask them to share their new wireless "Power Assist System" with you; tried this a few years ago with Rainbird...they wouldn't share their stuff though...thinking though personally you (Christopher) can reverse engineer their stuff relatively easily.

The above statement is relative you your "PerfecTemp - the Most advanced HVAC system I've ever Built - and its in my House" innate knowledge base.

The PowerAssist system is controlled by a wall-mounted console, which includes a power box, battery, touch pad and mounting bracket. Windows can be ordered factory-prepped to save time or ordered as a field kit. Power driver requires field installation.
        Last edited by Pete; June 14, 2014, 12:13 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

turns out you can mount the power unit anywhere i find out talkng to my andersen rep.. and you just run 18 / 2 wire to the windows themselves.. so im going to have the wires ready to go.. since we are altering the sizes of the window openings slightly it will be easy for me to pop the wires up when the old windows are removed... I'll have then just behind the casing and ready to go if I so choose to add the power operators..

the power unit looks easy to reverse engineer indeed... im thinking bypass the wireless reote altogether and work with the board itself..

the motors are just 24 VDC drivers.. the power unit has current sensors in it to detect when the windows are at full open or full closed positions..

pretty simple stuff it appears..

and course the windows will be part of 'Perfectemp' ...
          -Christopher

Comment

Well yup and 'Perfectemp' is an engineering marvel that comes from an engineering mind (well an obi-wan engineering mind) Christopher....

.....here its those type of "tinkering" projects which keep me going....
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

More than 10 years ago, we reverse-engineered the then-available Andersen power operator to allow the HAI OmniPro II to open / close our 8 awning windows (and hide the ugly operator and its grotesque keypad). This was done with 7 relays per each group of 4 windows and a lot of programming in PC Access.

Andersen has *NEW* power operators that include an RS485 interface. The new interface provides both control (open / close) and status of any or all windows via the RS485 bus. IMO, the interface is fairly primitive, but I have successfully operated the windows with a MacMini using CoolTerm and a Gearmo USB-RS485 FTDI adapter. (And we've ordered new controllers and the necessary parts to "upgrade" the 8 old awning windows.)

The interface uses binary numbering for each controller and window (e.g., first controller, address = x'01'; has windows x'01', x'02', x'03', x'04', x'05' = all windows). Each transmission, both outbound and inbound, uses a start character of x'FF' and includes, as the final character, a check digit calculated based on the sum of the digits in the command (modulo 256). Outbound command strings are 5 characters; inbound strings are either 5 or 8 characters (the 3rd character of the inbound string can be used to differentiate the string length though it is not self defining). Commands with invalid check digits get no response.

I'm new to HS -- using a HometrollerZee S2 for my initial foray. I would welcome any assistance you more experienced 'Seers would care to provide as to how to proceed. I'm not so concerned about how to "trigger" the open / close /status action, as to how to implement the response: can it be done with scripting [my preliminary search says MAYBE]; or do I need to craft some sort of a plug-in (UGH!) Based on our work with the previous Andersen windows, it does not have to be pretty, it just has to work! Thanks in advance

--Donna

Comment

Originally posted by systemconsulting View Post
                More than 10 years ago, we reverse-engineered the then-available Andersen power operator to allow the HAI OmniPro II to open / close our 8 awning windows (and hide the ugly operator and its grotesque keypad). This was done with 7 relays per each group of 4 windows and a lot of programming in PC Access.

Andersen has *NEW* power operators that include an RS485 interface. The new interface provides both control (open / close) and status of any or all windows via the RS485 bus. IMO, the interface is fairly primitive, but I have successfully operated the windows with a MacMini using CoolTerm and a Gearmo USB-RS485 FTDI adapter. (And we've ordered new controllers and the necessary parts to "upgrade" the 8 old awning windows.)

The interface uses binary numbering for each controller and window (e.g., first controller, address = x'01'; has windows x'01', x'02', x'03', x'04', x'05' = all windows). Each transmission, both outbound and inbound, uses a start character of x'FF' and includes, as the final character, a check digit calculated based on the sum of the digits in the command (modulo 256). Outbound command strings are 5 characters; inbound strings are either 5 or 8 characters (the 3rd character of the inbound string can be used to differentiate the string length though it is not self defining). Commands with invalid check digits get no response.

I'm new to HS -- using a HometrollerZee S2 for my initial foray. I would welcome any assistance you more experienced 'Seers would care to provide as to how to proceed. I'm not so concerned about how to "trigger" the open / close /status action, as to how to implement the response: can it be done with scripting [my preliminary search says MAYBE]; or do I need to craft some sort of a plug-in (UGH!) Based on our work with the previous Andersen windows, it does not have to be pretty, it just has to work! Thanks in advance

--Donna
                The ip/serial plugin posted at the link below may do what you need. It has a mechanism for listening to the com port and processing what is received and also for sending to the com port.

Cheers
                Al

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1132517
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

HomeTroller -> FTDI USB-Serial

Thank you to sparkman for the recommendation of drhsIpPlugin.

I've installed, but have not had much luck getting the HomeTrollerZee S2 to talk to my serial adapter.

The physical connection is via FTDI USB-serial adapter. I can drive this from Mac OS X Sierra (10.11.7) using CoolTerm and operate the Andersen windows. When plugged into the HomeTrollerZee S2, it shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0

Instructions for configuring the plugin indicate: "You should see 4 tabs: Commands | Connections | Serial Ports | Plugin Config"

What I see (version 0.0.0.26) is 4 tabs: Commands | IR Commands | Connections
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X