Davis Weather Station & HomerSeer Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rupp:
    Thanks for this link. I do remember now messing around with the properties of the virtual device. I must have changed the characteristics of the virtual device, starting the change in device issue for me.

Thanks!
    Mike

Comment

Thank You, any solutions for HS3?

First and foremost, a big Thank You to Rick (HiTech) for this post. You are single-handedly renewing my faith in the forums for your decisive, helpful, and orgainzed posts. Your Davis / Homeseer posts are now over 5 years old and still one of the most accurate and helpful posts I have come across.

I posted a new thread of what I'm looking for here: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...94#post1181594 but since you did such a nice job on the posts before I figured I would ask about it here as well. Perhaps see if you have any steps to make this work on HS3 as well.

My issue, I'm trying to do what your posts say in the 'how-to' but I believe I'm stuck. I'm also using HS3 so that might have ended my testing before it began. I followed your instructions and everything seems to be ok with the exception of the devices and the data. I selected the templates and scripts as you said and I created the devices with the same numbers you did. There is no data though. If I look at the device properties there is not 'type' string and I think that may have something to do with it. Is there much of a process to create the virtual devices that I might have missed something?

Comment

Hello Joels,
        Thank you for the kind remarks, I did spend a lot of time as to make this post understandable and accurate.

As for HS3, I purchased a license back when HS3 first came out, but I have never upgraded. That time is coming, My system is beginning to be unstable. I can't believe I set this one up about 10 years ago. It is such a big task and my system is way out dated.

I wish I could be of more help. One thing I remember about this is that the weather pro software must be running and the main weather display must be active.

Maybe it is time for me to start upgrading. :-)

If anything comes to mind I will post.

Rick Higgs

Comment

Hi Rick...

Santa was very good to me this year and I now have a HomeTroller S6 Pro with HS3Pro embedded. So, am trying to get the HS2 script to work in HS3, but when I run it I get the following in the log:

Jan-04 12:52:55 PM Error Running script, script run or compile error in file: C:/Program Files/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/WeatherDevices.txt430:Class doesn't support Automation: 'hs.DeviceString' in line 4 More info: Class doesn't support Automation: 'hs.DeviceString'
          Jan-04 12:52:55 PM Event Running script in background: C:/Program Files/HomeSeer HS3/scripts/WeatherDevices.txt
          Jan-04 12:52:55 PM Event Event Trigger "Davis Weather Weather Updater"
          Jan-04 12:52:55 PM Event Event Davis Weather Weather Updater triggered by the event page 'Run' button.

As you may recall, I am not a scripting guy at all. Any suggestions on where to start?

Comment

Here have utilize Cumulus for many years. Currently utilizing CumulusMX on an RPi2 with the Davis weather station.

The above noted Jon00 and Jeff Farmer's scripts read the Cumulus data files.

The only different here is that you let Cumulus handle the weather station stuff and Homeseer read the TXT files generated.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Here have utilize Cumulus for many years. Currently utilizing CumulusMX on an RPi2 with the Davis weather station.

The only different here is that you let Cumulus handle the weather station stuff and Homeseer read the TXT files generated.
              +1
              Been using Cumulus for years, works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post

Hi Pete...

Very much appreciate the response.

Was hoping to only tweak the syntax of the Weatherlink template (.htx) file to where the resultant script file would be suitable for HS3.

Comment

Here it's been reducing the footprint of Wintel servers to Linux servers or doo whats running on the RPi2.

Over the years the Davis Console output has been reverse engineered and sort of a standard these days.

Here just velcro my RPi2 (with a serial connection to the console) to the back of the Davis weather console.

The above noted here utilize two weather stations plus have been tapping in to a couple locations (Marine labs) which are using legacy Davis weather stations generating htx files live that I would like to incorporate (well doing it now) in to my Homeseer stuff. Currently just reading a delimited text file / graphics created by the weatherlink software.
                  Last edited by Pete; January 8, 2017, 11:07 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

For my WeatherDevices.htx I now have:

------------------------------------------------------
                    Sub Main()

hs.SetDeviceValue "w50", <!--outsideTemp-->

hs.SetDeviceValue "w51", <!--rainRate-->

End Sub

And the resulting WeatherDevices.txt script is

Sub Main()

hs.SetDeviceValue "w50", 66.3

hs.SetDeviceValue "w51", 0.00

End Sub

Which seems to work. HS3 now runs the resulting WeatherDevices.txt script with no errors and populates the virtual devices correctly.

If anyone has a better approach on scripting this, am certainly open to any ideas/recommendations.

Comment

Trying to download Weatherlink Upgrade

Hometroller S6 Pro with HS3.

Davis Weatherlink. The release level I got (some years back just getting around to installing it) 5.7.

Following the Method 2 suggestion in the How-to I tried to download the latest Weatherlink Update from Davis.

During the install it complained it needed to have me change some Windows setting so it could install .net modules. I have no idea if these modules will interfere with HS3 so I cancelled the install.

I am just wondering if anyone else (especially with a Hometroller Pro S6) experienced the same and what your course of action was.

Thanks,

Comment

There are no Homeseer 3 plugins for Davis Weatherlink. That said you can if you want manually read a text file for Homeseer 3 variables as mentioned above.

Most if not all of the 3rd party weather station software in internetlandia talks to the Davis Console. Homeseer 3 talks to some of these weather station software applications.

Here migrating from Cumulus to WeeWx and leaving the console connection separate from using a Meteostick which will see and read data from the Davis ISS or any other wireless Davis sensors such that I will have two methodologies of accessing my Davis Weatherstation.

Easier though would be:

1 - leave your Davis console plugged in to the Homeseer 3 box
                        2 - Install CumulusMX and use the Homeseer Cumulus Plugin.
                        3 - Cumulus has all of the bells and whistles and more than the Davis Weatherlink software has today.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Thanks for the insight.

I have looked for a Homeseer Cumulus Plugin but I don't find it on the forum or within HS3.

Can you direct me to it?

I did not install the Cumulus MX but rather the latest stable release. It appears it is getting data from the Davis Weather Station.

Now I just need Homeseer to get the data.

Jim

Comment

Pete,

Never mind I see Jon00 has it. I will go to his website and get it.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Good news Jim!!

Please support (donate) Steve over at the Cumulus forum.

Cumulus Forum

and Jon00 over here on the Homeseer Forum.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Thanks for the assistance.

All is working well. The Davis station has an issue reporting Rain but I suspect that is related to the device and will be working on that.

I have taken care of the donations.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X