Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a solution for our dog to announce when she wants back IN.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a solution for our dog to announce when she wants back IN.

We are the proud family of an 8 week old beagle. We've had her for two weeks today and she is housebroken. She rings some bells that hang on the door when she wants to go out. The last 5 days that has been 100%. No accidents! (Whew!) We are trying to train her to do something similar on the way in. The bells don't work well outside as we cannot hear them all the time.

Looking for some sort of big weatherized push or touch sensitive switch that she can tap with her nose. That could be connected with a DS10A or similar and communicate to HS to sound a tone or something.

Would appreciate any ideas anyone may have!!!

We can't use a doggy door as the back of the house is all glass......

Rob

I have nothing to contribute except - I am very impressed with your training! I'd like to know how others are doing this as well.

Years ago, I had one of the doggie doors that was RF activated from a little key on the dog's collar. It worked great, but the dog is no longer with us
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

In the late 1950s, my father build a "door bell" for our Boston Terrier. She would stand against the storm door when she wanted in. I wasn't smart enough to pay attention to the details, but it was made out of Plexiglas and had springs to hold the plate away from the door. When the dog stood against the plate, the switch closed and the wired regular door bell buzzed - and buzzed till she got off. I'm not sure it was an attractive addition to the door, but it worked.

Can't say that this will help in anyway, but it certainly brought back some great memories from my childhood. I didn't know this existed - http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...958705532.html but if it does, perhaps you could modify it to work for your very smart puppy.

Barry

Comment

Can't your dog talk like the ones in the movie up? It may now be possible:
        http://www.uproxx.com/up/2014/02/talking-dogs-post/

There's also the proven dog doors.
        http://www.wag.com/html/sg/rf-dog-door.html
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Really up to your imagination these days and how well you can train your dog.

In the 1980's my dog would find me anywhere in the house and "ask" me to go out. That said I would also jog in the early morning with my dog. "Brandy" got really used to jogging with me. Twice on a couple of mornings that I missed jogging; Brandy; medium sized; did a #2 in my shoes; very accurately not soiling anything but the inside of my shoes.

Dog #2; named Max; also would just come up to me as ask to go out. I did purchase and build a little doggy door for Max. It was a major project as it was an installed "insert" to the sliding glass door that opened the back yard. That said Max continued to come to me to ask to go out for a bit after the door was installed.

Today; while not relating to a dog going out; the Parrot ("Kika" 35 plus years old) squawks like a dog when she wants to eat; mostly with the wife more than me....now thinking of showing her how to hunt for food; guess that has been done already with parrots.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I saw this on "I Want that" .. a DIY network show..

http://www.amazon.com/Pebble-Smart-Doggie-Doorbell-Accent/dp/B00BBMEFCK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RB31VTQH7KQTXNP YH49

Thinking of getting one of these.. .you could probably "Hack" it into Homeseer.

You can find anything on Amazon..
            Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Just get one of these!

http://www.autoslide.com/

I have integrated it with Homeseer using a GlobalCache wifi to contract closure box. It works great!
              Transitioning to HS3Pro .298 - WinXPEmbedded

Hometroller S3 Pro - WinXPEmbedded - HSP 2.5.0.81 - BLStat - HSPhone - HSTouch Srvr 1.0.0.73 - Touchpad - BLLan - BLOccupied - DSC Plug 2.0.0.14 - BLStat .38

Comment

Thanks!

All great ideas! Thanks! ...and of course our dog talks, Rupp! We just can't always hear her say "May I come back inside, please?" when we are in another part of the house.

The back of our house is all glass with a sort of commercial looking swing door. I think the doorbell or puppy pushbutton thing is what I am going to have to find. Some big button she can nose or scratch hooked up to a DS10A.

Also looking at POTENTIALLY (with huge risk of LOW WAF) replacing the glass in the door with Plexiglas and cutting a hole in it for a dog door. Had some recent WAF limiting events so I am a bit nervous about that....

Love this forum. SO MANY great ideas and solutions.

Thanks again!

Rob

Comment

Rob,
                  How about one of the pressure mats. Teach the dog to walk or lay on it to notify you.
                  Like this one:
                  http://thehauntstore.com/shop/index....roducts_id=252

Or for a more industrial strength model:
                  http://www.zippswitch.com/products/safety-mat
                  Last edited by Rupp; March 29, 2014, 12:55 PM.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                    Rob,
                    How about one of the pressure mats. Teach the dog to walk or lay on it to notify you.
                    Like this one:
                    http://thehauntstore.com/shop/index....roducts_id=252

Or for a more industrial strength model:
                    http://www.zippswitch.com/products/safety-mat

that mat looks like the ones Harbor Freight used to sell that a lot of us hooked the DS10A's to to control lights and other things around the house.

Been a great WAF around here turning on lights when someone is going down a hall or getting to the bottom of the stairs and not remembering to turn on the lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Dafunktyfunk View Post
                      Just get one of these!

http://www.autoslide.com/

I have integrated it with Homeseer using a GlobalCache wifi to contract closure box. It works great!
                      How are you using autoslide with HS?
                      Hector
                      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Try This Vibration Sensor

Hey Rob;

A while back I bought this sensor from Newark which is basically a ball bearing rolling around in a metal housing. Whenever the bearing contacts any side of the internal housing, a contact is created.

I soldered this to a DS10a and you can see the results in this video.

I would put this inside a tennis ball and just have your dog push it to activate the DS10a. The only problem I see is if this is subjected to very high winds, it may create a false alarm (though it can stand a bit of swinging or swaying back and forth and not trigger).

It's not that expensive and just might be worth a try!

Regards,

BSR
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Sorry I came late to the party, but I have been using this door for years. My Black Lab loves the freedom, he is always outside by the pool in the sun. Even when it's 30' outside.

http://www.hitecpet.com/px-2detail.html

The doors actually locks shut, and the colar is water resistant ultra sonic.
                          -Skybolt

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                            Hey Rob;

A while back I bought this sensor from Newark which is basically a ball bearing rolling around in a metal housing. Whenever the bearing contacts any side of the internal housing, a contact is created.

I soldered this to a DS10a and you can see the results in this video.

I would put this inside a tennis ball and just have your dog push it to activate the DS10a. The only problem I see is if this is subjected to very high winds, it may create a false alarm (though it can stand a bit of swinging or swaying back and forth and not trigger).

It's not that expensive and just might be worth a try!

Regards,

BSR
                            That has potencial, BSR, where are you using this in your setup?
                            Hector
                            MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
                            AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                              That has potencial, BSR, where are you using this in your setup?
                              Currently I'm not. I did think about using it for a dryer indicator, even did a test run by taping it on the side as shown in this video.

I was also thinking about using it for a vehicle detector by attaching it to the side of the engine (vibration triggers DS10a which then comes near your house detection antenna, then turns off to indicate home).

I'm sure there are a bunch of other applications as well, but I don't want to stray to far off this thread's topic.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Working...
                              X