Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that because the plugin is not certified, it violates copyright and could infringe with the agreements that HS has with Apple for developing apps (e.g. HS touch). Therefore HS pulled the plugin from the store and the updater. It was not done by Apple.

I will look at MFI certification of the plugin, but I don't know if just software can be certified or that it must be a piece of hardware.

If I know more, I will post here. But because of xmas, I guess that won't be before 2017.

Comment

The recent updates to the DMCA made by congress specifically permit this EXACT type of reverse engineering. As long as you used no Apple source code this is 100% legal.

Comment

Wow, I'm just evaluating HomeSeer with the specific end goal of using HomeKit to control all my devices. Figured with the two available Plug-ins this would work great. Finally got HomeSeer working with some dimmers and lights and now I go to install the HomeKit plug-in and it's gone?!?

Now I have to re-evaluate everything.. do I still stick with Z-Wave, do I still use HomeSeer.. not sure I want to invest in a whole house full of Z-Wave products if I can't control them from my phone. But then again do I want to invest in HomeKit products.. wait there are hardly any available...

Comment

I can't figure that out for you. HS is a fine product, at least for me it is.
          There are other systems as well that are free or cheaper, but perhaps less expandable or not as intuitive or .... For me HS is the most interesting choice, since I can expand it myself using C# which I use on a daily basis. Other platforms use nodeJS, php, python and some even C++.

HS has a fine app, HS Touch, which can as well be used from your phone. It just doesn't use Siri, although with iOS10, that might change in the future.

Whether you should use Z-wave, Zigbee or X10 is completely up to you (although I wouldn't recommend X10 for starters). I think HS does a fine job with all the plugins so it isn't locked-in to a single technology.

HK products are still limited in numbers. It is a new technology that still has to obtain some ground. The technology is kept rather closed, so manufacturers really have to put effort in it to get certified and get it functional. That will another take several years I guess. Philips Hue is already supporting it, you could look into that if you can get your hands on it.

Comment

Z-Wave is the way to go regardless of Homeseer. In fact, its the only real home automation protocol in my opinion (Zigbee is the only other viable, but near as many devices). Many other HA controllers already support homekit out of the box. Shame on Homeseer.

Mike

Comment

I guess with out of the box you mean there is a plugin for it. I presume those aren't certified as well.
              I respect the choice HS has made here. Perhaps not the nicest for all users right now, but in the end the best.

Comment

No. I mean certified out of the box. Ex. Philips has already done so with their controller.

Comment

However, back to my original statement. The DMCA makes provisions for reverse engineering. As long as these plugins don't use the the Homekit sourcecode or trademarks they are perfectly legal.

My recommendation is to rename it to FruitStuff Bridge and repost it without any mention of Apple or HomeKit.

Mike

Comment

I think the below illustrates the difficulty in making a HW HomeKit bridge, which I think is currently the only way for HS devices to make it into the HomeKit walled garden in a fully supported manner at this time. http://shop.keenhome.io/blogs/commun...kit-compatible

Though Amazon may have disrupted this Apple strategy with Alexa. Google is clearly trying to compete, and if Apple does too they will have to create a software only path into the walled garden.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                    Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                    Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

The MFI chip is Apple's way to get royalties for the technology. I don't expect to have them leave this strategy. This chip is even in every lightning cable to prevent cheap counterfeits.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggel View Post
                        The MFI chip is Apple's way to get royalties for the technology. I don't expect to have them leave this strategy. This chip is even in every lightning cable to prevent cheap counterfeits.
                        According to Apple this chip is for security purposes. As a consumer, I like this. I also like the certification process since I quite like things to you know just work. Though I understand why a lone developer would not like either.

Homekit was announced prior to Alexa and the Echo. Since then Alexa has become the dominant interface to home automation. There are commercials on TV and everything. Not Siri. I don't think it is unreasonable to think Apple will change strategy here in order to provide an easier path for Siri to compete. The current strategy is just not that competitive if the small innovative companies have too high a barrier to enter. There is no barrier for Alexa, and a big one for HomeKit.

Have you inquired with Apple if there will be a path forward for a software only HomeKit bridge? I wouldn't expect much, but you never know?

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
                        Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
                        Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                          Have you inquired with Apple if there will be a path forward for a software only HomeKit bridge? I wouldn't expect much, but you never know?
                          In fact, bitching at Apple is usually the only way to get them to change.

Comment

Originally posted by numgis View Post
                            Wow, I'm just evaluating HomeSeer with the specific end goal of using HomeKit to control all my devices. Figured with the two available Plug-ins this would work great. Finally got HomeSeer working with some dimmers and lights and now I go to install the HomeKit plug-in and it's gone?!?

Now I have to re-evaluate everything.. do I still stick with Z-Wave, do I still use HomeSeer.. not sure I want to invest in a whole house full of Z-Wave products if I can't control them from my phone. But then again do I want to invest in HomeKit products.. wait there are hardly any available...
                            So I had to chime in on this..
                            I have been a long time homeseer user, over 10 yrs, if not more, I absolutely love the platform, and have not one complaint, and would fully 100% recommend it..
                            Now moving onto the Homekit..
                            I HATE APPLE, they suck, they make it very hard for people to integrate fully with them, Homekit is the first "attempt" I bought the plug in before even evaluating it, figured if someone took the time to make it, its worth while, and I was right!
                            Fraggell, Does an awesome job of staying ahead of apple and keeping it working..
                            there are pain points along the way but I have to say fraggel is one of the most responsive developers..
                            I have had my pains and issues along the way, but in the end I always have fraggel and the others on here to help me.. (Usually fraggel) and usually something stupid...

I for one, picked homeseer Homekit plugin, because almost everything in the world in one way or another connect to homeseer.. and in turn to homekit, If you buy HOMEKIT specific products, you lose a ton of functionality that homeseer adds..
                            And as far as zwave, I use BOTH Zwave and insteon, 90% of my automation is via Insteon...
                            and some access and temp probs are via ZWave devices..
                            and I am super happy with my setup!

Hope this helps a little
                            Fred

Comment

Originally posted by mike5906 View Post

My recommendation is to rename it to FruitStuff Bridge and repost it without any mention of Apple or HomeKit.

Mike

I agree with this. Apple really works hard to protect their trademarks. If you remove them they will probably ignore the plugin.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I am looking for a solution. Perhaps certifying the plugin if possible. If I would cloack it with a different name, I guess that won't really help.

As I have helped you all as good as possible in setting up the plugin, I will try to find a solution for this issue as well. HS is also trying to support me in this, so I guess we will come to a solution. Please be patient, I presume certifying will take some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X