No announcement yet.

Plugin to monitor Z-Wave battery device Health - CLOSED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since you poll the logs to get the information... is there anyway to add "battery" and "vent" to the poll?

Am I even asking this right? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
      Since you poll the logs to get the information... is there anyway to add "battery" and "vent" to the poll?

Am I even asking this right? :-)
      The thing about the wake-up messages is that they are like a heartbeat. They occur at regular intervals and that is the basis of the plug-in's design. My objective was that it should require minimal input, i.e. that you set it going and it builds it's group of devices itself, monitors when batteries die, and reports back through a single device so that events don't need to be re-written or adjusted as the network is modified or expanded.
      The trouble with other messages is that they occur at random times so don't fit in with the methodology so well.

I have an Everspring Siren which is a battery device that is always awake, similar to your Vents, so isn't monitored by the plug-in. I am giving thought to how these type of devices might be included but it might be a while or not at all if it compromises the basic goal. I considered having the plugin poll the battery status as regular intervals but I don't think HS3 logs a response if the value doesn't change. Also, whilst you can poll from events, I'm not sure there's a function call to do this. What I really want to do is test for connectivity at regular intervals, but again I haven't found a way to do this yet. I will ask on the Developer's Forum about pluginfunction calls for the Z-Wave PI. I haven't seen these listed anywhere.

Leave it with me, I am considering it but the holidays are over and I'm going to busy at work again, so time to progress this is limited.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
        The thing about the wake-up messages is that they are like a heartbeat. They occur at regular intervals and that is the basis of the plug-in's design. My objective was that it should require minimal input, i.e. that you set it going and it builds it's group of devices itself, monitors when batteries die, and reports back through a single device so that events don't need to be re-written or adjusted as the network is modified or expanded.
        The trouble with other messages is that they occur at random times so don't fit in with the methodology so well.

I have an Everspring Siren which is a battery device that is always awake, similar to your Vents, so isn't monitored by the plug-in. I am giving thought to how these type of devices might be included but it might be a while or not at all if it compromises the basic goal. I considered having the plugin poll the battery status as regular intervals but I don't think HS3 logs a response if the value doesn't change. Also, whilst you can poll from events, I'm not sure there's a function call to do this. What I really want to do is test for connectivity at regular intervals, but again I haven't found a way to do this yet. I will ask on the Developer's Forum about pluginfunction calls for the Z-Wave PI. I haven't seen these listed anywhere.

Leave it with me, I am considering it but the holidays are over and I'm going to busy at work again, so time to progress this is limited.

Steve
        No worries... thanks for the help. Yep... going back to work is going to be a bummer :-)

Comment

I'm hopeful this is going to be doable. Thanks to Nicolai I now have a PluginFunction call that allows me to poll Z-Wave devices. I've tested it on my Siren and I get a result that show it is online. I'm away from home at the moment but at the weekend I can check what happens when I poll it with the batteries removed.
          My intention will be to have the plugin poll these devices at customizeable intervals with the result monitored as if they are wake-up notifications.
          The only difference will be that the user will have to select the devices manually to indicate they should be monitored. There doesn't appear to be anyway of automatically distinguishing these devices from many other Z-Wave devices. For example I have a number of powered sensors that support the Battery Command Class, so that is no indication that it is a battery powered device.

Steve

Comment

I'm hopeful this is going to be doable. Thanks to Nicolai I now have a PluginFunction call that allows me to poll Z-Wave devices. I've tested it on my Siren and I get a result that show it is online. I'm away from home at the moment but at the weekend I can check what happens when I poll it with the batteries removed.
            My intention will be to have the plugin poll these devices at customizeable intervals with the result monitored as if they are wake-up notifications.
            The only difference will be that the user will have to select the devices manually to indicate they should be monitored. There doesn't appear to be anyway of automatically distinguishing these devices from many other Z-Wave devices. For example I have a number of powered sensors that support the Battery Command Class, so that is no indication that it is a battery powered device.

Steve
            Great news!

Steve

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree, great news....

Comment

Question about Zwave battery devices

First Thank you for a great plugin. I installed it this past weekend and it has been monitoring my battery status ever since. After the first of the year I replaced the batteries in my Fortrezz WWA01AA water detectors. I optimized my entire Zwave network before I started (4 times Full optimize) then optimized my battery devices. The lowest number of neighbors for the battery devices was 16. Ever since I did that, 2 of the water detectors are not showing update status in HS3 or detected in the battery plugin. All of the other battery devices report and update current temperature. It has been 4 days since I optimized HS3. Has anyone experience this problem? If the sensors do report in will the plugin still see the devices and add it to the monitored list?

Thanks again for a great plugin.

Ronnie

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                  If the sensors do report in will the plugin still see the devices and add it to the monitored list?
                  If the sensors wake-up, and that shows in the log, then the plug-in should see them and add a device to monitor further wake-ups. The exception, at the moment, is if you have multiple networks, i.e. more than one HomeID, as the published version of the plug-in only works with single networks. However, I have updated the plug-in to cope with multiple networks and will publish shortly.

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                  After the first of the year I replaced the batteries in my Fortrezz WWA01AA water detectors. I optimized my entire Zwave network before I started (4 times Full optimize) then optimized my battery devices. The lowest number of neighbors for the battery devices was 16. Ever since I did that, 2 of the water detectors are not showing update status in HS3 or detected in the battery plugin. All of the other battery devices report and update current temperature.
                  Note that fully optimizing a network does not seem to be recommended anymore and, depending on the size of the network, can cause more harm than good. There have been some recent posts by Rich on this which are worth reading although a little inconclusive.

Steve

Comment

If the sensors wake-up, and that shows in the log, then the plug-in should see them and add a device to monitor further wake-ups. The exception, at the moment, is if you have multiple networks, i.e. more than one HomeID, as the published version of the plug-in only works with single networks. However, I have updated the plug-in to cope with multiple networks and will publish shortly.

Steve
                    This is great news. I am looking forward to testing!

Comment

Originally posted by bebaldin View Post
                      This is great news. I am looking forward to testing!

Brett,
                      I did send you a test version by PM a few days ago. Looks like you didn't get it. I'll send it again.
                      Steve

Comment

Brett,
                        I did send you a test version by PM a few days ago. Looks like you didn't get it. I'll send it again.
                        Steve
                        Sorry, no - I never did receive it.

Comment

Sorry, no - I never did receive it.
                          I've just sent it again. Let me know if you don't receive it.
                          Steve

Comment

I've just sent it again. Let me know if you don't receive it.
                            Steve
                            By PM? No, I did not receive it again.

Comment

By PM? No, I did not receive it again.
                              I sent it as a reply to the email you sent me with the interface section of your zwave.ini file. It's your gmail account.

Steve

Comment

I sent it as a reply to the email you sent me with the interface section of your zwave.ini file. It's your gmail account.

Steve
                                Google must be killing it then. I am not receiving it, and it isn't showing up in spam or deleted.

Comment

Working...
                                X