X minutes after sunset, Y minutes before sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X minutes after sunset, Y minutes before sunrise

I must be missing something... I'd like to limit a lighting event to work only during the time between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise (it's light then, and we don't really need the lights to come on) except when it's REALLY dark. But I can't seem to figure it out. I've used "time is night time", and that works fine, but I'm turning on lights for about an hour when I don't really need them. But I can't seem to figure out the conditions as described, with the 30 minutes before and after added. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Joe
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Originally posted by Madcodger View Post
    I must be missing something... I'd like to limit a lighting event to work only during the time between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise (it's light then, and we don't really need the lights to come on) except when it's REALLY dark. But I can't seem to figure it out. I've used "time is night time", and that works fine, but I'm turning on lights for about an hour when I don't really need them. But I can't seem to figure out the conditions as described, with the 30 minutes before and after added. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

Joe
    Homeseer doesn't have any easy way to do this. I've gotten around this by setting up a virtual device I call 'Night time'. I have two events that turn this on and off at my desired times. In my case that's 15 minutes after sunset and 15 minutes before sunrise. Then I just have my event set to turn my lights on or off with a status change of device 'Night time' has changed to on or off.
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Originally posted by RAM View Post
      Homeseer doesn't have any easy way to do this.

I wonder if that is worth submitting a feature request for?

I use a similar "fudge" to simulate that too.. would be nice for it to be a native option.

David
      ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

You could also use an x10 motion sensor mounted outside and use the light/dark portion of the sensor as your condition.

If it gets dark a little earlier or a little later the sensor will pick it up.

good luck.......
        Neil
        Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Guys,
          This is available now. Choose a condition trigger and select the Time of Day or Sunrise/Sunset (default entry). Then select the Minutes After Sunset and set your minutes. Do the same for Minutes Before Sunrise.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            Guys,
            This is available now. Choose a condition trigger and select the Time of Day or Sunrise/Sunset (default entry). Then select the Minutes After Sunset and set your minutes. Do the same for Minutes Before Sunrise.
            That only lets you select those exact times, not before xxx or after xxx time. Madcodger wants it "to work only during the time between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise"
            Dick
            HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Originally posted by RAM View Post
              That only lets you select those exact times, not before xxx or after xxx time. Madcodger wants it "to work only during the time between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise"
              He asked "I'd like to limit a lighting event to work only during the time between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise " This is exactly what this allows you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                He asked "I'd like to limit a lighting event to work only during the time between 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise " This is exactly what this allows you to do.
                I don't think so. If it does allow it could you show us event setup screens for an event that works as Madcodger desires?

I just tried to set up an event (Trigger type=Condition) and use 'minutes after sunset' and 'minutes before sunrise' and the event trigger ends up reading:
                Time is 30 minutes after sunset AND
                Time is 30 minutes before sunrise
                which will never fire because the time will never be 30 minutes after sunset AND 30 minutes before sunrise at the same time. (except maybe in Alaska at the right time of the year)
                If you set it up as an 'OR' trigger it will only fire twice during the day, at 30 minutes after sunset AND 30 minutes before sunrise.

A feature like this would be nice. I use the correct logic for this desired effect in my Ocelot programming because it allows + or - 'offsets' from sunset and sunrise. I set up the logic to say "after 'sunset + 30 minute offset' ". That means any time after 30 minutes after sunset.
                Dick

Comment

Rupp,

I think RAM is correct, but if you're right, I've never been able to figure it out. The nighttime virtual device workaround noted will work, but this is a bit of an oversight by HS, I think, unless you would be kind enough to show us what you're thinking here.

Thanks,

Joe
                  Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

I like everyone else (it seems) have a variable set to turn on at sunset and off at sunrise, I then use it as a condition in my events and scripts.

It is the only way I have ever gotten it to work
                    Over The Hill
                    What Hill?
                    Where?
                    When?
                    I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

HI,

I know this is a old thread, but it looks like this feature has not been implemented...

I would like also to be able to control the light of my living room with the help of the sensor.

Using "during nighttime" is not acceptable, because I really need the light before the sunset, like one hour at least before the sunset.

I would see 2 options:
                      1) favourite one would be the possibility to provide a number of minutes before the sunset, and the number of minutes after the sunrise, that would be my own definition of "nighttime". This really depends of the configuration of the house, if there are buildings aound etc.
                      I would see that in "Setup->location" of HS. 2 new fields. therefore it would automatically apply to all events!
                      2) or add a time condition which is "After X minutes before sunset" and another one "Before X minutes after sunrise"

2 is much more complicated.

thanks
                      Rod

Comment

Originally posted by webrod View Post
                        ....I know this is a old thread, but it looks like this feature has not been implemented... ...
                        Follow Rupps post, it does work as I am using it for exactly what your looking for.

The light sensor of a motion sensor also covers darker over cast days.
                        -Skybolt

Comment

Or even logic something like this. You can control the device directly, or use this to set a virtual device to equal night time. Where I say "after", you could put an earlier time

Attached Files
                          Last edited by pbibm; November 29, 2011, 11:58 AM.
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by skybolt View Post
                            Follow Rupps post, it does work as I am using it for exactly what your looking for.
                            Can you post a screen shot of your trigger? I cannot see how you'd do this unless there is an option to use the conditions, After X minutes after sunset OR Before Y minutes before sunrise. Has that option been added to newer HS versions?
                            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

There are a ton of options once you select the group2 option which is the or option.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X