Is way2call the Way-2-Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is way2call the Way-2-Go?

I'd like to use the telephony functions with homeseer to answer my phone and use the mailbox feature (and the CID). I used to have HAL and the HAL PCI Modem which I could never get to work on my machine (hense the switch to Homeseer).

Is this Way2Call thing what I need? Reading some of the threads it *appears* that some of the bugs are ironed out. I did read that some people had issues with the wiring in their house. I have a REALLY old place (no 3-pronged outlets, lots of copper wires and cloth shielding) and I'd be surprised if the phone lines were flawless.

I also have use DSL filters now but I think I may switch to a Cable modem instead in the near future.

Are there any other alternatives that are better than Way2Call for my needs or is Way2Call the Way2Go?

Thanks
    - John
    P.S. I'm also in the market for a new phone, so if anyone has any good mates for way2call, I like to hear about them.

I have a Way2call and it has been working well lately. Rich and Co. have done a great job with the software.

I have a newer house- so I cannot comment on the wires. However, phone wiring is pretty basic.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

You can see my other pending posts here now.
      The hiphone has the best functionality set. I am still having issues and hoping that I can eventually get it solved. I have a call in to Rich. For me it seems to be related to the unique ring patterns which used to work fine.

Comment

I have the Panasonic 2700 that supports up to 8 wireless phones off of one base. It also has intercom between phones with unique extension numbers. Seems to work pretty well.

Comment

jvanv8,

The Way2Call definitely has more features than the PCI modem, but they do come at a higher price. Yes, there were issues with the Way2Call a little while ago, but after much back-and-forth between Way2Call and Rich about the software interface it used, Rich decided to go ahead and rewrite HSPhone to use their DLL interface instead of the ActiveX one and guess what -- all of the problems went away! Since that conversion and a beta or two after it for a couple of conversion bugs, it has been flawless in all of the previously reported problem categories.

However, throughout all of this, the PCI modem has been working flawlessly as well. There is a known issue with that modem, which is the same as the HAL modem in that it does not catch Caller-ID 100% of the time, and it is very easy to overload the modem with too many phones in the house and cause it to start acting up.

If you have a phone system, which eliminates the loading issue and already have it wired up the way HAL had you do it, then it is a slam dunk getting it to work with HSPhone. You do not even change the drivers for the modem. IOW, you can see the difference between HSPhone and that other software just by changing the software. If you like it, then you can purchase the software and start to think about whether you like/want the features that the Way2Call offers above the PCI solution.

I believe that HSPhone offers at least the same features as the other software if not more, but it does it in a completely different way, so it may take a little bit for you to learn/understand how things are done with HS/HSPhone. There are others who have made the change that can help you I am sure - many view/post on this message board regularly.
          Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
          X