How to handle TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to handle TV?

I'm trying to figure out a way to integrate my TV and media in my homeseer experience. I have a general idea, but seem to always find technical road blocks.

This is what I need.
    - Live TV/DVR access in each room
    - Access to video services "Netflix/Hulu/Amazon etc"
    - Access video/audio on NAS
    - Control lights/HVAC/Homeseer events from TV
    - Single common interface throughout the home

This is my less than perfect plan.
    - ESXi server running homeseer on one VM and Windows 7 MCE on another.
    - x2 Hauppauge USB CableCard tuners attached to MCE, priveds 4 recordable instances.
    - ServerWMC installed on MCE
    - Raspberry Pi2 attached to each TV, running Kodi, Server WMC as TV backend.
    - Custom Kodi skin and scripts to integrate back with homeseer.

Accomplishes:
    - Common interface
    - Live TV/DVR in each room with shared media
    - Stream files from NAS

Not accomplished:
    - Netflix/Amazon...

I thought it would be nice to find a way and attached a few rokus that could stream as a "input source" from Kodi. Maybe a HDMI capture card? This would accomplish my streaming services requirements...

Lastly, I'd like to find some common remote control interface. Like a RF remote to control the Pi's. I want to avoid IR if possible. The HDMI could turn the TV on and off and control audio.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I'd use plex as the back end with Kodi as the interface to it. Could pickup the odd DLNA client that way (older roku, etc). and then go premium if you want streaming to wan devices easily, etc.

Asus chromebox for clients on the cheap, offload any transcoding to the server. i've never gotten a RPi to feel smooth in menu response, but i might just not be tweaking it correctly. the asus chrome box, although double the cost of the RPi, works great. i'd definitely try out a single RPi before adopting it as my client device in multiple places.

I'd also use hd home runs instead of the hauppage cable cards. (silicone dust) I've just never been a fan of hauppage since some driver issues way back... probably an ok product, but i've been soured on the brand. The HDHR integration to Kodi is good too, no idea what that looks like with the hauppage.

there are kodi plugins for netflix/hulu to accomplish streaming.

Spud's XBMC plugin gets you halfway there with HS3 integration, definitely tightens up events based on player activity, etc. not sure on how to integrate a "hstouch but better" type of screen into Kodi -- that would be awesome though.

i like the 360 wireless controller for windows as an interface, familiar navigation from the old original xbox1 / XBMC hack job I used to have. I fire up Kore if i need a keyboard for something more than a quick username or pw.

This is actually on my todo list as well, i have a bunch of this half setup an different stuff on different Tv's, would be nice to get it all in one standard setup, but I also have directTV in the mix which is killing me on the cablecard method of access to live TV.

Good luck, looking forward for other people's suggestions!

Comment

I have a lot of this setup already.

I have been using the Pi as a XBMC front end using ServerWMC for a while now. I agree it is a bit sluggish and should invest in some hardware that's a little more powerful. I'll look into the chromebox you suggested.

As for Netflix etc, The Kodi plugins rarely work, cumbersome to navigate and tend to stop working after some update. I just thought the method that Control4 uses, with video switching might be the way to go with a few Rokus. But it would be expensive... Not to mention, we can get way more streaming "working" commercial channels on the Roku then we ever could on Kodi plugins. This seems to be my Achilles heel.

Spud's plugin is wonderful! I was just thinking a small interface redesign of the confluence skin could yield a simple menu to control events, and also a menu to control thermostat. Again, I have the control4 interface in mind.

Comment

Just thought I would mention my Netflix "Workaround"

I don't use any of the plugins, however I purchased a license for PlayOn and PlayLater which offers a way to stream Netflix, hulu and all tv networks content through Kodi.

There is a PlayOn Browser that you can use or just native uPNP/DLNA

I use a script called MyLibrary to include content in my TV Shows and Movies libraries complete with scraped data sources.

There is an excellent article describing the process here
        http://mymediaexperience.com/integra...ulu-into-xbmc/

It is kind of a pain to get setup but it has allowed me to move away from windows media center and has a high WAF / KAF

Comment

Working...
        X