Memory Leak? + Debug Mode Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Leak? + Debug Mode Question

Hi Mark, I've got an issue with the plugin where it consumes almost 1Gig (yes 1 Gigabyte) of system RAM and will eventually crash the system. Sometimes this will happen after a the system has been running almost a month, but sometimes only after a couple of hours. Attached is a pic of the SysInternals Process Explorer Screen. This also happens on another system of mine that is configured almost identically. Thoughts?

Also, I am trying to get the plugin into debug mode to see if something is going around the time the plugin starts consuming memory, but I'm having no luck. I have the plugin in developer mode but I don't get any X10 DEBUG info in the HS3 log. I've even editing the /config/X10.ini file to PluginDebug=True and restarted the plugin, but no joy there either.

Thanks in advance!
    Craig

Below are the specifics of my system:

PC: Asus EeeBox 1.6G Atom w/2GB memory & 120GB SSD

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.318
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional - Work Station
    System Uptime: 0 Days 1 Hour 31 Minutes 38 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.99
    Number of Devices: 187
    Number of Events: 27
    Available Threads: 200

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.5.0: BLGarbage
    2.0.35.0: BLLAN
    2.0.127.0: BLRadar
    2.0.91.0: BLRF
    3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server
    2.17.0.10: MCSSPRINKLERSP
    3.1.4.14: SqueezeBox
    3.0.0.44: X10
    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
    Attached Files

Hi Craig,

Yikes - that's a lot of RAM for the X10 plugin. I've not see this before nor has anyone else reported this as an issue. Some questions:
    1) Which X10 interface are you using?
    2) What is 'Plug-in Status' on the Manage Plugins page?
    3) Is the X10 plugin actually working? Does it control devices and respond to X10 commands received on the power line?
    4) Does the plugin run ok for a while and then all of a sudden start consuming memory?
    5) When you start the plugin in debug mode do you get a pop-up DOS box?
    6) When restarting the plugin what entries appear in the HS log?
    7) What plugin version were you using before v.44 and was it working properly?

Your difficulty enabling the plugin is also troublesome. Just ticking the Developer Mode check box and restarting the plugin causes the plugin to come up in debug mode. Is there any difference if you restart HS instead of only restarting the plugin? How about if you restart the system?
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Hi Mark, my responses are embedded below.. Thanks, Craig

Originally posted by mfisher View Post
      Hi Craig,

Yikes - that's a lot of RAM for the X10 plugin. I've not see this before nor has anyone else reported this as an issue. Some questions:
      1) Which X10 interface are you using?

I'm using an ACT TI-103 through a Quatech Serial Device Server.

2) What is 'Plug-in Status' on the Manage Plugins page?

Plugin Status says "OK".

3) Is the X10 plugin actually working? Does it control devices and respond to X10 commands received on the power line?

Yes. However, I only use it to send On/Off to an X10 Chime Module when a motion sensor detects motion at my front door. The signal from the motion sensor (MS-13) is picked up by a W800RF32 and processed by the BLRF plugin. I have no signals being placed on the power line to be read by the TI103 I'm only using it to transmit. Perhaps that is why I don't see anything in DEBUG?

4) Does the plugin run ok for a while and then all of a sudden start consuming memory?

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. For example, today it's behaving itself and only consuming ~29MB.

5) When you start the plugin in debug mode do you get a pop-up DOS box?

Yes

6) When restarting the plugin what entries appear in the HS log?

Here is the snippet beginning when I shutdown and then restart the plugin:

Aug-12 8:14:57 PM Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in X10
      Aug-12 8:14:57 PM Info TI103 Plug-in, Version 3.0.44
      Aug-12 8:14:57 PM ACT TI103 Calling initIO in TI103 with port:COM6
      Aug-12 8:14:56 PM Info Plugin X10 has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:1334
      Aug-12 8:14:37 PM Info Plugin X10 with instance: has disconnected
      Aug-12 8:14:37 PM Plug-In Shutting down Plug-In: X10

7) What plugin version were you using before v.44 and was it working properly?

I was using v.40 previously and I hadn't noticed the memory issue. Come to think of it, I went to v.44 at the end of June and this issue has been going on sporadically since then. That was the reason I installed the Jon00 PerfMon utility to alert me to the system memory consumption. Perhaps I should roll back to v.40 and see what happens.

Your difficulty enabling the plugin is also troublesome. Just ticking the Developer Mode check box and restarting the plugin causes the plugin to come up in debug mode. Is there any difference if you restart HS instead of only restarting the plugin? How about if you restart the system?

No difference either way.

Comment

Thanks for your clear answers. Have you enabled the individual debug options on the Ti103 setup page? (Click the plugin name on the Manage Plugins page to access the plugin setup page.)
        Attached Files
        Best regards,
        -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
        Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

No I didn't. I've now checked all those boxes and here is the log entry after sending an ON command to my X10 Chime Module.

Aug-15 10:00:03 PM X10 INFO Raw Poll: 79203.5891967 - $<2800!C01 CONCONCF#
          Aug-15 10:00:02 PM X10 INFO Output Dequeue: cmd2
          Aug-15 10:00:02 PM X10 INFO Output Dequeue: $>28001CONCON 3D#
          Aug-15 10:00:02 PM X10 INFO Raw Poll: 79202.5891839 - $<2800! C010F#
          Aug-15 10:00:02 PM X10 INFO Output Dequeue: adr
          Aug-15 10:00:02 PM X10 INFO Output Dequeue: $>28001C01C01 C5#
          Aug-15 10:00:02 PM X10 INFO SendX10: C1 Cmd: 2 Dim: 0 Data1/2: 0/0

I've seen other posts where users are referencing "X10 DEBUG" as the Type/Error in their logs as opposed to "X10 INFO" as my logs show. Perhaps that's a source of my belief that debug wasn't working?

The plugin is still behaving itself today and only consuming 29M of ram.

Thanks,
          Craig

Comment

Working...
          X