Time to cut the cord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to cut the cord?

I have an hd home run prime with a cable card in it from comcast that I've been using for several years. I have been recording some shows on windows 7 media center that way I can fast forward through the commercials. I like to watch the news in the morning when I wake up before I get out of bed, usually HLN, but it hasn't been very reliable lately. I think the user profile is corrupt again and it randomly records soap operas and various terrible movies even though they don't show up in the series list. My daughter and I have been watching that new show "The Orville" together and the other night the recorder stopped before the end of the show It took her all of 10 minutes to find it on-line so we could finish watching it on her cell phone.

That got me thinking, why on earth am I paying Comcast $1200/year US to watch commercials? Thats just stupid. No wonder the want to get rid of net neutrality!

So that begs the question, What are my friends at HomeSeer using? It doesn't look like there is any PVR recording software besides Windows 7 that works with a cable card, not that I even think I need it anymore. I use Kodi with WmcServer now any ways on all my TV's and computers. I'm leaning towards a plex media server with kodi and openelec clients but I'm really not sure if that will work?

Any thoughts?
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

I've dropped my Roku boxes, OSMC/Kodi/whatever boxes, Fire Sticks etc in favour of a Chromecast per TV and then casting from the apps to the devices. I never found one box that really did everything that I wanted (local file playback, all of the streaming services, good UI etc) so now I just control it from my ipad/tablets/phone - yes I don't have a remote control as such but browsing on my tablet and pressing a button to send it to the TV works just fine for me (I'm not a big TV watcher anyway) and at least it is not going to go out of date any time soon.

I have a Plex server running with the Plex app casting to the Chromecast for local playback (I have most of my movies backed up to MKV files), guess I could probably do more with Plex but don't really have the appetite for it - just be aware I found the libraries setup requirements a right pain!!

Comment

All I can do is sympathize with you. When my Win7 machine had to be replaced, I sorely missed WMC. I had a DirecTV satellite receiver connected to an internal card.

Nowadays I still have DirecTV but wonder why I have to pay so much for a relatively poor quality picture. The signals get compressed so much, it's like HD NOT!

My son has one of those cheap OTA antennas and the picture quality is beyond excellent. Then he has Amazon Prime and Netflix for kids movies and such.

I had Sling TV for awhile and it was OK; I'm sure that it's improved tremendously since it first came out.

My DirecTV contract is up in May and I hope to have this figured out by then. One thing for sure, without HGTV nothing will have a high enough WAF.

Comment

there is a free version of plex server that I'm trying to get setup but it doesn't seem to do anything. Just says "not available" on everything.

Comment

I use a simple roof top antenna (in my attic, actually) feeding a box called Tablo. It has 4 tuners, and works like a DVR to schedule and record OTA TV. (You supply the HDD separately.) How far you are from the broadcast antennas is the primary driver of the antenna you need. The cost of the antenna and a simple amp is trivial. The Tablo box is a bit more, but pays for itself in a few months of saved cable TV charges. Quality of the signal is much better than the compressed stream that comes over the cable, too. (It's also very easy to skip commercials, BTW.)

Roku has an excellent Tablo app, and there's also a Windows app to allow viewing on computers. I used the Windows app originally to replace WMC, but I like the Roku much better.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Still using WMC with cablecard and 3 intel NUCs here. I'm holding out for as long as I can since everything seems to be in transition from linear television to on demand app content. There is not a clear winner yet in the on demand market so I'm not going to invest significantly into a new ecosystem until a clear winner is present. Thankfully my setup is still working, would be really frustrated in your shoes. Are you sure you aren't having guide issues when it records the wrong content? I switched over to schedules direct and EPG123 and my guide and recording metadata is so much better now

Comment

I'm at the bottom of a hill so its unclear what channels I could pull in over the air. Looking at antennas they are pretty cheap and I already have a low voltage conduit up to the attic so running a wire should be trivial. I even have a couple of tv tuner cards rattling around in my junk box so it's probably worth testing.

I keep seeing references to IPTV, but I'm not clear on what that entails.

Comment

There is an OTA antenna configurator in Internetlandia. You can put in your GPS coordinates and it shows a nice graphics with topology for antenna placement. Here my antenna is in the attic. I mounted it on a PVC pipe hung from one of the ceiling rafters in one corner of the attic. On Amazon I have seen a small UHF directional OTA Antenna for some $18 on black friday.

For moving antenna I have sat in the attic with my laptop connected to the HDHomerun box looking at HD signals. Works great.

Here still utilize a HD Homerun OTA box. The antenna is in the attic (old one) going to an in line amplifier going to the basement where it splits to the HDHomerun box and just OTA. I did post a DIY to making an HD UHF antenna out of cardboard and aluminum on the Cocoontech site. Easy peasey stuff.

Before going out to TV's I inject channels from Wife's Direct TV recorder for an in house set up. She can watch her stuff (also using an IR repeater) on the second floor, laundry room, kitchen nook if she wants - this is high on the WAF.

IE: my home office LCD has two connections
                1 - OTA plus in house via RG6
                2 - Kodi box (all Kodi boxes here utilize Ubuntu - no Android ) - using Aopen Digital engines

I see some 66 OTA channels here in the midwest and really only care about less than 10. Most of the rest of the HD stuff is junk and barker channels for junk.

Primary STB's in house are KODI boxes. Recently playing with Roku enabled TV. All this and I really do not watch television.

With KODI now you can record IPTV if you want.

Just configured Skype on one Ubuntu 16.04 Kodi box. Works well.

Myth TV box here primarily uses HDHomerun and has one HD OTA card plus one Nexus satellite cart.

Have played with Plex but do not watch television on tablets or phones.

I do not really record much these days. Wife records everything relating to cooking channels.
                Last edited by Pete; December 20, 2017, 09:12 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  There is an OTA antenna configurator in Internetlandia. You can put in your GPS coordinates and it shows a nice graphics with topology for antenna placement.
                  Pete,
                  I'm not sure which tool you are referring to, but this is a pretty useful place to visit for OTA information. Check out the "TV Signal Locator" page to get some guidance about the antenna you may need. The channel info is not complete, but it should give you a good indication of what is within reach.
                  Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

We cut the cord a long time ago for traditional TV. We survive off of Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Hulu, and Plex (and free versions of some of he kid channels). We do have very basic cable in case we need to see the news, but it's not HD and we never actually watch it. In addition, our internet package is actually cheaper with the TV than without.

Now, as of this week, i will be trying to put up an HDTV antenna. I bought a 150 mile range one to test, but I'm not feeling overly optimistic about it. We live about 50 something miles from the closest towers and they are spread out in all directions. Because of this I am having to rely on omni-directional antennas. I could put one with a motor up there, but with 8 people in the house currently (Daughter and Son-In-Law are staying with use while their new baby is still "new"), I think it would just cause mass confusion along the lines of "Why can't I watch this channel now?!?!?!".

I'm hoping I can find a solution that works. I've been investigating antenna towers/masts as well to get the antenna higher. If I can get this to work, I will also be putting a site to site Wifi antenna up there and duplicating the setup at my mom's house so that she can have TV and we will just feed her our Internet.

We do also utilize plex a lot. Especially for Movies and some kid shows. I plan on getting some network tuners if the Antenna works out and perhaps cutting out Hulu in favor of OTA DVR via Plex. I have a server with 18TB of storage, so should be pretty good on space for now

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                      We live about 50 something miles from the closest towers and they are spread out in all directions.
                      Being in Florida, at least you don't have any tall hills in the way.

I suspect omni-directional antennas and long range antennas tend to be in design conflict. Have you considered pointing the long-range beast where it will pick up the most attractive distant stations and having one or two smaller antennas pointing toward others? Unlike analogue TV, fringe reception of digital channels can be surprisingly good. . .or nothing at all.

Comment

so I got rid of our land line and went Magic Jack. We have a kid at home and need that phone... he doesn't have a cell yet.
                        Doing so I went from $80/m to $75 first year, $99 for 5 years then my device died.. $45 for 1 more year.. I figured I saved $5800 in 7yrs.

I have a hd homerun prime box as well.
                        My setup is different. I DVR and MCEBuddy cuts commercials out so no FWD for me!!!!! then placed onto plex. LOVE MY SETUP..

now my wife requires a channel that keeps us on cable tv. Hallmark. Well guess what.. Sony VUE now has Hallmark channel ($45/m), and sling tv ($20/m + $5 hallmark addon)...
                        but BEST THING EVER!!! Hallmark is now giving access for $60/y via Roku... WOOOT..

so I'm on a promo until June.. then I'm OFF Xfinity!!!!!

FYI... you can keep Comcast emails. You need to check/send an email once a month.. so that will happen...

I bought a quad tuner card for my pc that does my dvr... and it works but I cant get ch6 OTA yet.. need a better antenna... .

Silicon Dust - maker of HD Homerun now has a Connect Deluxe 4 tuner OTA!!!!!!

ill be doing that.. purchasing plexpass... then DVR and OTA Live tv via Plex.

I need simplicity for wife..

so at end..

Roku and Hallmark and Plex apps...

I am tired of these cable companies gouging me. I am on a promo.. $165/m for HBO, Showtime, Cinnemax, Stars and sports pack. plus boost (200mb) internet.

to which I will be going from 200mb internet to 25mb internet as well...

I'm cutting my bills bigtime soon. Wife is finally onboard.

I know I was all over the place.

My pic attached has changed some but mainly the same...

also I have videos showing how to set it all up in 7 steps... well filebot is 8 and is awesome as well!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/c/jeffreyriggs
                        Attached Files
                        HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

I recommend plex and use it throughout the house between roku and smart TVs. If blade ever finishes his plugin it could pair to homeseer nicely and there’s a dev community that offers a lot of cool tie ins like plexpy. It has dvr functionality and can strip commercials. The clients aren’t as pretty as Kodi though there is a Kodi plugin that can give you the best of both worlds.

My rig is pretty simple, Max mini 2012 i7 16gb and just usb spinners. It handles several transcoded streams like a champ. On that note I would recommend using modern roku or streaming devices that can natively handle direct streams. Ideally your only transcoding would be remote clients.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                            Being in Florida, at least you don't have any tall hills in the way.

I suspect omni-directional antennas and long range antennas tend to be in design conflict. Have you considered pointing the long-range beast where it will pick up the most attractive distant stations and having one or two smaller antennas pointing toward others? Unlike analogue TV, fringe reception of digital channels can be surprisingly good. . .or nothing at all.
                            I'm starting with the omni directional to start. The good thing about being so far away is that in major cities they might all seem to come from a similar direction. However, in my research, it might be hard to get all the major networks from one direction. I'm curious about using more than 1 antenna. Is there a "combiner" you can use? This might actually be a great solution as I have a feeling the directional antennas will work better at long range.

Oh yeah..and Florida is FLAT. Most people consider Kansas to be flat, but in a recent experiment, they found that Kansas was actually the 7th flattest state. Florida was #1 I mean, it's nice to be #1 in something besides stupid people doing stupid stuff....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                              I'm curious about using more than 1 antenna. Is there a "combiner" you can use? This might actually be a great solution as I have a feeling the directional antennas will work better at long range.
                              AFAIK a signal splitter can be used in reverse as a combiner. Some even come labeled that way. There may be some that work in only one direction, though, so definitely good to confirm before you buy. I'd put an amp between each antenna and the splitter/combiner to maximize signal-to-noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X