This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablet recommendation?

Sorry this isn't under clients, because I didn't want to be specific to just one.

I'd like to purchase 4 tablets, for all my primary rooms and I'm not sure if I should go with iPads or Androids. And if Androids, which one.

I'd like to build out some HSTouch screens, then load all the tablets with the same screens and eventually control everything. (Entertainment remotes, lighting, Security Cameras, etc., movie streaming, surfing.)

I already have Insteons on every switch, 7 security cameras, Cumulus running weather screens, thermostat, etc.)

I'm doing ok on the screens, and its time to purchase the first tablet. If it works out as planned, then get 3 more of the same.

I would like to keep the cost relatively low $300-$400 range.

Anyone have any recommendations?

At that price point, you actually have a few options. You can probably still get refurbed iPads for pretty cheap. The Kindle Fire's work pretty well, and rumor has it that a slightly larger version is coming soon. I'm a little partial to Android for the price point and the almost infinite customizations you can do.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Whatever you get, to make things EASIER for your designs, try to keep them all the same.

:-)

--Dan
      Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
        whatever you get, to make things easier for your designs, try to keep them all the same.

--dan
        +1
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by drozwood90 View Post
          Whatever you get, to make things EASIER for your designs, try to keep them all the same.

--Dan
          You may not need to worry with this if the new auto size option works out.
          http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153849
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp, for some issues (such as scaling), I agree.

However, there are some strangities that I notice. For instance, run an event that Simulates Release of a button, works on IPOD, not on Android. Change to Simulates Push, works on Android now.

I've never documented it, and worked around it for the most part, and I never cared too much...

--Dan
            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by cluedke View Post
              Sorry this isn't under clients, because I didn't want to be specific to just one.

I'd like to purchase 4 tablets, for all my primary rooms and I'm not sure if I should go with iPads or Androids. And if Androids, which one.

I'd like to build out some HSTouch screens, then load all the tablets with the same screens and eventually control everything. (Entertainment remotes, lighting, Security Cameras, etc., movie streaming, surfing.)

I already have Insteons on every switch, 7 security cameras, Cumulus running weather screens, thermostat, etc.)

I'm doing ok on the screens, and its time to purchase the first tablet. If it works out as planned, then get 3 more of the same.

I would like to keep the cost relatively low $300-$400 range.

Anyone have any recommendations?
              I picked up a new 7" Android tablet off of ebay for $73. I had to add a micro SD card which brought the price up to around $100. I did have to root the ROM to make the OS real in order to load the Android client. I figured the price was cheep enough to justify the expariment to see if something of that size would make a good portable touch screen controller. So far the tablet is working good. I currently have it set up in the TV room as a table top "big button" remote for my 86 year old mother to use.

I have purchased 3 more of the tablets and my plan is to use these as in wall touch screen controllers in a few key areas around the house.

Ken

Comment

Can you say what manuafacture/model it is?

Comment

Working...
                X