Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Point of an IN Wall Control Panel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is everyone using for in-wall or wall mounted displays (brand/model)?

Thanks

Comment

I'm seriously looking at the HS one. I like the idea of having an LCD in a fixed location that doesn't walk off... I have an email into their sales guys asking about the backlight and if it shuts of when idle. Also will the LCD burn in after a bit if it's on too long? My cell phone which has a HD Super AMOLED display did burn in with the Nav software after a few mos of using it twice a day to/from work.

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by zakrzep View Post
        What is everyone using for in-wall or wall mounted displays (brand/model)?
        Thanks
        I have put two iPad 1 into MDF picture frames from IKEA

Comment

Originally posted by mloebl View Post
          I'm seriously looking at the HS one. I like the idea of having an LCD in a fixed location that doesn't walk off... I have an email into their sales guys asking about the backlight and if it shuts of when idle. Also will the LCD burn in after a bit if it's on too long? My cell phone which has a HD Super AMOLED display did burn in with the Nav software after a few mos of using it twice a day to/from work.

-Mike
          I have one in the bedroom and am impressed with it. So far it's been on for aproxx 13 hours per night for 3/4 months and the LCD has not burnt in, it's on an appliance module and switches off during the day.

Unfortunately it does not go to sleep, or in otherwords turn off the back light, although I beleive there are ways of doing this. As for I as it is my alarm clock it suites that it does not go to sleep like I.
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Originally posted by fermate View Post
            I have put two iPad 1 into MDF picture frames from IKEA

They are hanged on the wall like a painting (with metal wire) but have also double sided tape-pads at the back to hinder them from moving when pressed.
            sigpic
            A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Yeah here remote controlling my touch clients running XP and it does work most of the time; except when I see the HS gremlins at work (really bad with the WAF). Here I am moving towards a closed HSTouch client network such that the clients only connect to the mothership and nothing else.

BTW my tablet yesterday told me it needed to update and went to the internet, firmware updated itself and replaced all of my applications with copies. I really didn't that because I had no control what so ever with what happened. I didn't even know that my applications had been backed up to the cloud.

Personally I do not want any tablet / OS that needs to connect to the internet managing my home for any type of automation; but that is me. (old and grumpy I guess).
              Last edited by Pete; March 1, 2013, 10:10 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Gogs View Post
                I have one in the bedroom and am impressed with it. So far it's been on for aproxx 13 hours per night for 3/4 months and the LCD has not burnt in, it's on an appliance module and switches off during the day.

Unfortunately it does not go to sleep, or in otherwords turn off the back light, although I beleive there are ways of doing this. As for I as it is my alarm clock it suites that it does not go to sleep like I.
                Thanks for the info! Is it an LED backlight or tube? If an LED should last quite a long time, if fluorescent tube, then would be limited. Being a new design, I'm assuming LED?

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mloebl View Post
                  Thanks for the info! Is it an LED backlight or tube? If an LED should last quite a long time, if fluorescent tube, then would be limited. Being a new design, I'm assuming LED?

-Mike
                  I too assume it's LED.
                  sigpic

Comment

One I ordered came in last night... it's quite nice. UI is pretty snappy and touch screen is pretty responsive.

Is there a specific forum for it (or is it this one)? Curious how you do updates to HS Touch as it doesn't have the play store.

-Mike

Comment

Mike,

You can download the HSTouch Android version directly from here via browswer or just put it on a microSD card and update that way.
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Mike,

You can download the HSTouch Android version directly from here via browswer or just put it on a microSD card and update that way.
                        Thanks Pete! Also how do you keep the Android status bar from showing up after it was suspended? When it's asleep, and I wake it up hitting the button, I see the status bar until I hit the hide button on it.

-Mike

Comment

Mike,

Personally I only "played" with the original OS on the first gen Android in wall device without touching it for maybe an hour.

I started to tweak it then rewrote it with another Android Firmware. (kind of "cooked" it a bit with some specific pieces).

That said I only tested it running a one screen HSTouch client build for a period of time and not much else.

Right now its in a boot loop (easy to fix) from me playing with it and I haven't touched it yet as I have been mostly playing with other stuff.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            I started to tweak it then rewrote it with another Android Firmware. (kind of "cooked" it a bit with some specific pieces).
                            I may ping you offline a bit about that

Comment

I am in the process of mounting my android on/in wall controllers.

I bought three prepaid Android phones for $29 each, new. They run 2.3 (I think) and the Android client works on it just fine. I use Lux Auto to change brightness according to time of day. One each is mounted by the bedsides for myself and my gf. A third one is a backup/spare. I plan to run them 24/7, and they have macros like "sleep", "wake", "read in bed", etc on them. The biggest problem is despite the lowest brightness setting, they are still way too bright at night. I am waiting on a roll of tint film to come in so I can put that over the screen, but this might make daytime viewing too dim... Anyone got any solutions?

I also bought four 7 inch tablets (around $65 each new) and plan to use them as permanent switches at the entrance, kitchen, living room, and bathroom.

Knowing exactly where they are, and located at conventional light switch locations make it easier for myself and visitors to use them. In short reply to OP, 6 dedicated permanent switches are much more convenient to use than a couple of mobile multitasking switches.

Comment

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
                                Living in a 100+ year old house I agree... WiFi based devices sitting on a table make much more sense than trying to run wires inside the wall. Also more flexible when you rearrange a room. That said, some folks just prefer less clutter and want everything built in.
                                Exactly what I feel. There's no point in destroying already feeble walls just to add wires and routers.

Comment

Working...
                                X