Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MQTT Car presence

Guys

A pretty cool idea....and very simple to detect your vehicle coming and going and drive the garage door via MQTT

https://github.com/aderusha/MQTTCarPresence

Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

A number of years ago there was much interest with active RFID for presence and location identification. Some of the projects included hiding the transmitter in the car so Homeseer could track vehicle for a similar application as this one.

I have seen some recent reviews of garage door automation that included hacking the unit's portable RF transmitter as the "button" actuator for garage door motors that had the rolling code integrated. The basic premise of these systems were WiFi to provide the smartphone away-from-home indication if the door was open or closed and then controlling it with the smartphone. I'm certain they were all based on ESP chips.

I have seen another that uses the little robotic distance measuring sensor mounted on the garage ceiling and depending upon the distance it will know if garage door up, car in garage or garage stall empty. In this case the home automation system can assess if a reminder to put the car in the garage is necessary and the remote action to control the garage door motor. Next year we will not need the reminder, but just send the command to the car directly to put itself in the garage and close the door behind itself.

From a use-case perspective it does not seem like Wifi is a good technology choice for realtime drive-up presence detection. By the time car gets close enough to the driveway for the connection to be established it will be too late to start opening the door. On the departure side it also seems a little contrived. The garage door should be opening as one gets into the car. One does not want to sit in their car while saying a prayer the system will work and door will open.

What may be more practical is using the device to know which of multiple cars is coming and going and base other inside-the-house automation decisions on this knowledge.

I do like the 3D printed case. It looks very professional.

Comment

I agree Michael...it interesting though using the brokers topics to do things :-)

We use SMS via Homeseer to manage our door, I like to see it start to close before I drive away :-)

Pete
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
        A number of years ago there was much interest with active RFID for presence and location identification. Some of the projects included hiding the transmitter in the car so Homeseer could track vehicle for a similar application as this one.
        I still use active RFID so when both cars leave it arms the home alarm, but ever once in awhile the tags drop out and it would arm the alarms with us home.

I now have ultrasonic sensors mounted to the garage roof and those have to show clear and the tags have to be gone before the alarm auto-arms.

I cannot find any of those transmitters on eBay anymore so I treat my spares like gold. Should be an easy repair if one dies other than the chip that hold the code.

~Bill

Comment

Here too continue to utilize the old RFID receivers / tags and today have a few spares.

The tags are 12VDC mounted in the dome light area (years now) and they have been working fine for quite a few years. I have too now gone to using one active RFID receiver / antenna in the attic. I disconnected the one in the garage.

Concurrently here updated GDO to newer RF security and extended antenna a bit such that the GDO built in to the automobile does work fine around the corner as I approach my home. The active RFID works as I enter the subdivision (a bit too far away).

Really utilize the active RFID for presence more than anything. I wrote about this stuff on Cocoontech a couple of years back. I was entertaining using same company's Active RFID reciever with channels / solenoids per channels to connect to my alarm panel at the time.

For work a few years back used RFID for a gas and oil compound employees. It was a mini city and the employee's were all tagged. They lived there.

Inside of the garage also utilize a PIR / Camera - outside utilize driveway sensors (analog), PIR's and cameras. (and old Geophones for walk up to front door).
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X