Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevation lookup failed

I continue to get these errors in my HS log all day long:

Feb-10 12:07:19 PM PHLocation Warning (handleiCloudDc) Elevation lookup G for [y4AkghYCwQYFaj7xwQrFqNpjLRkkUJS4VAt011If2ug+uc3dQFIBPuHYVNSU zmWV] failed 2nd attempt. Abort lookup.

I've disabled the API logging like mentioned in other threads... Strange thing is I have two different iClouds I monitor with PHlocation and only this one reports an error.

any ideas?

m

same issue with me as well...was hoping it was temporary and would go away but its been at least a couple of days now.

Comment

I'm not seeing that issue here using the Google API with an API key.

In Config>API's which service are you using for elevation data?
      If Google, are you specifying a Google Maps API key on the same page.

Have you tried switching providers on the API's page?

I'm in the middle of a major re-write of iCloud support but I will look into this further once I get that finished.

Paul..

Comment

Paul

I have been using the google API with a key with no issues until now. Also to confirm it does it to both devices on my iCloud account

I tried changing elevation provider on API page yesterday and still receive same error messages. Thanks

Will

Comment

update...toggled API back to OpenStreetMap and restarted HS3

All is well for 2 hours with no error messages

Comment

strange enough I didn't see errors today from 9am on.. before that every 3-5 mins, but changed to openstreetmap too and no errors today.

Comment

I confirmed I have openStreetMap for both on the API page and I still get these errors.

Comment

Same here for the past couple of days with both providers so your not alone.

Paul is it possible to disable the elevation calls?

Will

Comment

I'm not seeing the issue of failed elevation lookups here with either provider so it's difficult to debug.

I'm in the middle of a major re-write of some of the plug-in's code so I can't put an update out right now but I have changed it so that if suppress API errors is ON then you won't get elevation messages in the log.

Paul..

Comment

Hi Sooty,
                    thanks for fixing your link on your page. I am experiencing this issue as well. Did you ever get a fix?

Comment

Originally posted by CameronHilliard View Post
                      Hi Sooty,
                      thanks for fixing your link on your page. I am experiencing this issue as well. Did you ever get a fix?
                      Do you have a Google Maps API key specified on the API's tab within the plug-in config?

To debug fully, I need to see the whole error message.
                      Uncheck the "Suppress Google API Errors" option on the general config tab which should then allow the complete error message to be written to the log.

Google are currently making changes to their mapping API so it could well be that they are restricting usage.

Try switching both Reverse Geocode and Elevation providers to OpenStreetmap on the API's tab and see if you still get errors.

Paul..

Comment

I am using Location IQ for Geocodes and Open Street Map for Elevation and I am still getting these..

I will switch off the Suppress Google API warning and collect some results..

Jul-30 10:06:03 AM PHLocation Warning (handleiCloudDc) Elevation lookup G for [XYZ] failed 2nd attempt. Abort lookup.
                        Jul-30 10:05:59 AM PHLocation (handleiCloudDc) Elevation lookup G for [XYZ] failed 1st attempt. Retry in 1s.
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                          I am using Location IQ for Geocodes and Open Street Map for Elevation and I am still getting these..

I will switch off the Suppress Google API warning and collect some results..

Jul-30 10:06:03 AM PHLocation Warning (handleiCloudDc) Elevation lookup G for [XYZ] failed 2nd attempt. Abort lookup.
                          Jul-30 10:05:59 AM PHLocation (handleiCloudDc) Elevation lookup G for [XYZ] failed 1st attempt. Retry in 1s.
                          Does the elevation lookup fail with every location update or is it random?

Failed lookups can occur for many reasons including lack of internet connection, unavailability of lookup service or simply that the service doesn't have elevation data for the location. The plug-in has a 3 second timeout on these type of lookups so it could also be that the lookup takes longer than this in some cases which would result in a warning message.

From memory, I don't think the Suppress Google API messages option does anything if you're using OSM, so it probably won't help with diagnostics.

It's very unlikely that I will put out any more updates for the 3.0.1.x version as I'm almost finished creating a new version of the plug-in.
                          In the new version things like elevation lookups will automatically try all configured providers (assuming there is an internet connection) in order of preference before generating a warning message.

I haven't been breaking my neck to get a new version out because I was half expecting the new HS Mobile App to have built in geofencing and location reporting which would probably render this plug-in redundant.

That said, I have added Life360 as a location data provider to the new version which gives iOS users another option in addition to iCloud for position data and sort of combines geofencing and position reporting into one.

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post

Does the elevation lookup fail with every location update or is it random?

Failed lookups can occur for many reasons including lack of internet connection, unavailability of lookup service or simply that the service doesn't have elevation data for the location. The plug-in has a 3 second timeout on these type of lookups so it could also be that the lookup takes longer than this in some cases which would result in a warning message.

From memory, I don't think the Suppress Google API messages option does anything if you're using OSM, so it probably won't help with diagnostics.

It's very unlikely that I will put out any more updates for the 3.0.1.x version as I'm almost finished creating a new version of the plug-in.
                            In the new version things like elevation lookups will automatically try all configured providers (assuming there is an internet connection) in order of preference before generating a warning message.

I haven't been breaking my neck to get a new version out because I was half expecting the new HS Mobile App to have built in geofencing and location reporting which would probably render this plug-in redundant.

That said, I have added Life360 as a location data provider to the new version which gives iOS users another option in addition to iCloud for position data and sort of combines geofencing and position reporting into one.

Paul..
                            I believe it is happening every time: but I don't ever see anything that says "lookup success". Is there a switch somewhere to turn that on.

I thought that the new HS App would support that as well: but I don't see anything in their app or their roadmap to support it. Truly surprising...
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

I believe it is happening every time: but I don't ever see anything that says "lookup success". Is there a switch somewhere to turn that on.

I thought that the new HS App would support that as well: but I don't see anything in their app or their roadmap to support it. Truly surprising...
                              The elevation lookup function doesn't have any "success" debug logging so you won't get anything in the log unless it doesn't work. If using Google for elevation and it fails and the suppress API errors is off, then you will get a log entry showing the reason for the failed lookup but this is not implemented for OSM.

Can you match up the time of one of your lookup errors with an actual location update and email me the latitude and longitude of the location it failed to lookup.

Paul..

Comment

Working...
                              X