www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > User Interface Plug-ins > User Interface Discussion

User Interface Discussion User Interface Plug-ins

Old February 11th, 2016, 04:31 PM
OverSeer

Bit off topic, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmeili View Post
@S-F, don't take my comments below the wrong way Just adding some mroe detail to your comments
Of course I won't take it the wrong way.

Quote:
There is some stuff that is missing from this. Mainly Pushover won't do the TTS that VeraAlerts will do natively. That said, you can use the built in HS speech stuff, but for people like me that currently use windows serve, the voices aren't as good as the are on the end user versions of Windows.
I use the Tasker plugin for TTS to the phone. I have the Ivona Kendra voice on my phone and my HS3 server. They sound exactly alike and they are both fantastic! Highly recommended.

Quote:
2. With #1 above, RTS added a way to force your phone to poll more often. For instance when you were 1 mile away from your house, you could have it poll location more frequent which could make your inner fence be more accurate.
Why not contact Egmont, the developer of EgiGeozone? He is generally extremely responsive and friendly. I imagine if you brought the idea of such a feature to his attention he'd consider adding it.

About the cost of plugins: There is no rush to get them. Yes most of the Vera plugins are free, but they don't really DO anything much. Like the virtual switch plugin. All it does is make a virtual switch. Many plugins for HS3 are more feature rich than all of the vera plugins combined, with the possible exception of PLEG. I think it's only fair that the authors get compensated for their time. And honestly I think that given the amount of effort they put in, the plugins are probably worth a lot more. So my approach was to get the handful of plugins I knew I needed right out the door, Envisalink, Russound, so on and the rest slowly filtered in as I saw need for them. It's not like you're going to be wanting for things to work on with a new HS system. Even if I didn't have any plugins at all I could probably spend weeks happily creating events. I think that in these weeks that even someone as impoverished as I am could scrape together the $20 - $40 for a new plugin toy. Also since these plugin authors probably aren't making anywhere near their hourly rate on their products when considering development and support it's good to keep just a little cash and good will heading their way so they don't just pull their plugins from the updater and run, not walk, away from the community. Hopefully we can get many many more years of astounding plugins from our developers. None of them, even the ones who don't charge, should be paying for their own beer. Top shelf beer at that.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post

About the cost of plugins: There is no rush to get them. Yes most of the Vera plugins are free, but they don't really DO anything much. Like the virtual switch plugin. All it does is make a virtual switch. Many plugins for HS3 are more feature rich than all of the vera plugins combined, with the possible exception of PLEG. I think it's only fair that the authors get compensated for their time. And honestly I think that given the amount of effort they put in, the plugins are probably worth a lot more. So my approach was to get the handful of plugins I knew I needed right out the door, Envisalink, Russound, so on and the rest slowly filtered in as I saw need for them. It's not like you're going to be wanting for things to work on with a new HS system. Even if I didn't have any plugins at all I could probably spend weeks happily creating events. I think that in these weeks that even someone as impoverished as I am could scrape together the $20 - $40 for a new plugin toy. Also since these plugin authors probably aren't making anywhere near their hourly rate on their products when considering development and support it's good to keep just a little cash and good will heading their way so they don't just pull their plugins from the updater and run, not walk, away from the community. Hopefully we can get many many more years of astounding plugins from our developers. None of them, even the ones who don't charge, should be paying for their own beer. Top shelf beer at that.
+1 on this... People coming from Vera should adjust their mindset. You get what you pay for... and it shows between the two different systems and the plugins created. Not knocking the vera plugin authors, i used them and even paid for PLEG and Vera Alerts... but you can't compare the two systems. Homeseer is in a completely different league as are the plugins.

If you think about what you paid for software vs hardware, even with homeseer, I think you will find you are very lopsided in that hardware costs are way more. Why is it ok to pay 50 bucks for a switch, but not 40 for a plugin that someone spent their off hours developing?

Like i said when people complained that RTS was going to start charging for PLEG... if you don't like it, build your own.
Old February 11th, 2016, 05:14 PM
OverSeer

If you have any issues, roadblocks, anything like that and for some reason you can't get answers on the forum in a manner which is timely enough for you shoot me a PM or something like that and I will be more than happy to help. I tried HS2 when I was a Vera user. I installed it and ran it for the trial month and couldn't quite find my place in the HomeSeer world. I had a terrible time figuring out what I was doing. For some reason my questions weren't really answered. So I moved all of my devices back to the Vera. Maybe if I had been ushered through the process of learning how HS2 works a little more I would have stayed. I wanted to stay! I just couldn't figure out all of the new lingo and approaches to things.

When HS3 came along and seemed stable enough I decided I wouldn't urinate down my Vera's throat if its guts were on fire. I had had it with all the issues. Made the move to HS3. Never once looked back.

I have Unifi APs also. Really great. Something cool I do with the: One inside, one outside. When my phone connects to the outside AP I am "outside" and events operate differently. When I am connected to the inside AP I am "inside". That's a real bangup feature for me since all of my announcements can be sent to the outdoor speakers if I'm outside and the like.