www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > User Interface Plug-ins > User Interface Discussion

User Interface Discussion User Interface Plug-ins

Old August 5th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Seer Deluxe

Imperihome

Dear fellow forum members and HS,

Recently I stumbled on a very nice piece of android software called Imperihome.
This is software created for controlling Home Automation systems.
At the moment several systems are supported, like Vera and Zipato.
They also have an API that makes it possible for the Controller Vendor to create compatibility with their product.
Having the ability to use Imperihome to Control HS3 would be a realy nice adition to HS.
You can create a very apealing dashbord with it in a mather of hours where it would take at least days with HSTouch.
Could this be something that is worth looking in to for a plugin developer or HS?
I am not a programmer but they (Imperihome) are stating that communication with their API should not be hard at al.

thanks in advance,

Martijn.
Old November 12th, 2015, 11:49 PM
Seer

Did anything ever come of this?
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Seer Master

I use Imperihome with VERA now. After many times trying to make the move from VERA to homeseer this is one thing I would like to see. It seems the apps to use on homeseer are non existent and my trial with HomeSeer HSTouch left me scratching my head.

Posts like this that go unanswered for over a year on the forum also seem to make me hesitate.
Old January 19th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Super Seer

Has anyone tried contacting imperihome? Seems that would be a place to start.
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:03 PM
Super Seer

I miss it as well. They do have a common format for devices and communication to imperihome, so it's not impossible for homeseer or a plugin to offer up that format. I'm not sure ImperiHome will do it, but if enough people request it they might.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Seer Deluxe

I was a beta user on the Vera and tried reaching out to them when i switched to homeseer. They said Homeseer wasn't on their roadmap at the moment.
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:21 PM

I'm very interested, and I will probably give a shot at a plugin for this when I have enough time.
Old January 19th, 2016, 10:40 PM
Seer Deluxe

Thumbs up

Hi, Spud. I will be a beta tester for you if you do it. The lack of a very sexy user interface is the one thing that limits my market channels right now. I can spend days creating a custom HSTouch interface for clients, but it still doesn't look as nice as the HS functionality deserves.

If you can, please include the ability to address systems that have customized the field 1/2 columns of devices. Many folks find it more useful to have Room/Type than Floor/Room setups. Thanks!
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:02 AM
OverSeer

I'm sure when I looked at this some time ago (perhaps even for HS2, HS2 also would be harder as you can't have device tabs like you can on every device now) there was no support in Imperihome for events like they exist in HomeSeer so I gave up. I don't know whether that changed and guess you might be able to trick an on/off device into behaving like a manual trigger though.
Old January 20th, 2016, 03:44 AM
Seer Plus

Hi,

I have created a plugin for ImperiHome. The plugin is still a prototype but it supports a lot of the ImperiHome devices already and graphs as well. The plugin is currently being tested by a limited number of people but I'm planning to release it to a wider audience for testing in a not to distant future.

Best regards,
Henrik
Old January 25th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Viewer

Excellent news Henrik! Thank you!

I'm in the process of switching from Vera to Homeseer. I have been using Imperihome for my UI on my wall mounted tablets and phone for a couple of years. It's actually the main reason I have stuck with Vera for so long, but I just need more functionality than Vera offers.

Looking forward to release. I'd be happy to help beta test too, but I won't be ready with Homeseer for another week or so.

--Eric
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:28 AM
Seer Master

I have the HS3 pro running on a PLEX/Blueiris server but I still run all my z-wave devices on VERA until I can find replacement apps and get the same features running on Homeseer

PLEG- Logic
Vera Alerts - Custom notifications Andriod
Vera Proximity - andriod geofencing
ImperiHome - main App

For you guys that switched over, what are the replacements your using?
Old February 11th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Seer Deluxe

Hi there. I also switched from Vera a while ago. So, I might be able to help.

PLEG - HS3 logic and simplicity of setup kills it.
Vera Alerts - don't know. I have HS3 send anything important to me as an email or text. It's built in.
GeoFencing - I currently use IFFFT to modify the value of two virtual devices.
UI - I build custom interfaces using the HSTouch Designer and some free programs I heard about on hear like Sweet Home 3D.

I can help answer other questions about making the move. It was ultimately the right choice for me.
Old February 11th, 2016, 06:43 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by integlikewhoa View Post
I have the HS3 pro running on a PLEX/Blueiris server but I still run all my z-wave devices on VERA until I can find replacement apps and get the same features running on Homeseer

PLEG- Logic
Vera Alerts - Custom notifications Andriod
Vera Proximity - andriod geofencing
ImperiHome - main App

For you guys that switched over, what are the replacements your using?

I can answer this as well.

PLEG - Come on! The HS3 event engine slaughters PLEG! It's absolutely no comparison. There is no way I could do 1/4 of what I do with HS3 natively using PLEG.

Vera Alerts - Pushover, emails, text messages. The pushover plugin will do everything Vera Alerts does.

Vera Proximity - Again, HS3 just plain punishes Vera on this front. Look at PHLocation. It puts anything Vera to shame so badly it's not funny. This one plugin alone is probably as feature rich as the entire native Vera platform.

Imperihome - I just made a custom HSTouch project. Once I decided to do it I found tit to be not all that difficult. That being said, there is now an Imperihome interface for HS3.

I don't know why people use Vera. That thing is more trouble than it's worth. I thank God every morning when I wake up for my good fortune in having unplugged that piece of junk. It's an overpriced remote control for light switches. I guess Vera is good for people too lazy to actually stand up and touch a light switch, because it's good for nothing else. And it's not too good for that even. A few years ago one of the more senior members on the Vera forum quoted an older member who had since left Vera by saying "If you touch a light switch you're doing it wrong". He went on to say that he thought that was setting the bar a little too high. Well, fast forward a few years and a move to HS3. I barely ever touch a light switch. I don't think I have touched one of my Russound keypads yet this year. I haven't touched a thermostat since moving to HS3 except when I added them to the system. I did make a screen to control my thermostats in HSTouch but I haven't used it yet. I do look at it to see the temperature from time to time though. I must say though tha tthe Vera forum is a great place for N00b questions. If you want to know how to wire a light switch or something like that it's great. I have a ton of posts over there and the vast majority of them are me answering such questions. My posts on this forum are mostly all me asking questions. HS3 is simply a different tier product. Better in every way.

Last edited by S-F; February 11th, 2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Seer

I was hooked on Imperihome with my Vera too, and was disappointed when I switched and found out it wasn't available for Homeseer controllers. As above though, I started playing with HS Touch Designer and I am really happy now. Yes it's pricey, but it's powerful, and you really can get things laid out exactly the way you want. You're not bound by someone's predetermined layout or idea of what you want.

I was turned off by the software at first, and almost returned if for a refund, but I watched a few How To Video's and once you get the hang of it, it's really not that hard.
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post

PLEG - Come on! The HS3 event engine slaughters PLEG! It's absolutely no comparison. There is no way I could do 1/4 of what I do with HS3 natively using PLEG.

Vera Alerts - Pushover, emails, text messages. The pushover plugin will do everything Vera Alerts does.

Vera Proximity - Again, HS3 just plain punishes Vera on this front. Look at PHLocation. It puts anything Vera to shame so badly it's not funny. This one plugin alone is probably as feature rich as the entire native Vera platform.

Imperihome - I just made a custom HSTouch project. Once I decided to do it I found tit to be not all that difficult. That being said, there is now an Imperihome interface for HS3.

I don't know why people use Vera. That thing is more trouble than it's worth. I thank God every morning when I wake up for my good fortune in having unplugged that piece of junk. It's an overpriced remote control for light switches. I guess Vera is good for people too lazy to actually stand up and touch a light switch, because it's good for nothing else. And it's not too good for that even. A few years ago one of the more senior members on the Vera forum quoted an older member who had since left Vera by saying "If you touch a light switch you're doing it wrong". He went on to say that he thought that was setting the bar a little too high. Well, fast forward a few years and a move to HS3. I barely ever touch a light switch. I don't think I have touched one of my Russound keypads yet this year. I haven't touched a thermostat since moving to HS3 except when I added them to the system. I did make a screen to control my thermostats in HSTouch but I haven't used it yet. I do look at it to see the temperature from time to time though. I must say though tha tthe Vera forum is a great place for N00b questions. If you want to know how to wire a light switch or something like that it's great. I have a ton of posts over there and the vast majority of them are me answering such questions. My posts on this forum are mostly all me asking questions. HS3 is simply a different tier product. Better in every way.
I second this... Vera was a good gateway drug... but had a bad hangover the next morning. It was a game each day to open a door or trigger a motion and wait to see if the light would actually turn on, or try to demo for your friends and it fail... that ALWAYS happened.

HS3 is way above vera, that it shouldn't even be considered in the same ballpark. I remember when I first moved, I was way overwhelmed and had to change my way of thinking because the two event engines (AKA PLEG) work completely differently. Once you get over that, you will find HS3 blows Vera outta the water. Anything you can do in Vera, you can do in HS3, only better and easier... and also most importantly... reliably.

If you have your zwave network on vera still, you have cut your legs off. That part HS3 shines the most at I think. The event engine is the best I have seen with any product and I vetted a few before making the switch.

The one and ONLY thing that I have seen that PLEG has over HS3 is sequential triggers. This to me is a nice to have, but also minor.

Do yourself a favor and toss that POS. The horror it caused me was so bad, I have blocked it from my memory.
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Super Seer

@S-F, don't take my comments below the wrong way Just adding some mroe detail to your comments
Quote:

I agree, but remember it's a different thought process with HS3. It takes getting use to. Once you do though, you can do most anything. Especially if you get the easyTrigger plugin

Quote:
There is some stuff that is missing from this. Mainly Pushover won't do the TTS that VeraAlerts will do natively. That said, you can use the built in HS speech stuff, but for people like me that currently use windows serve, the voices aren't as good as the are on the end user versions of Windows.

Quote:
Honestly, there are some things I find missing in PHLocation that I miss in VeraProximity.

1. It was all one app/plugin. both sides were conrtolled by the same developer. I use Backitude, and I've tried egigeozone, but neither worked as well. I think backitude is getting better, but VeraAlerts was so right precise! My only issue back then was that if there was no network, it wouldn't retry (like leaving my house and my phone switching from wifi to cellular data).

2. With #1 above, RTS added a way to force your phone to poll more often. For instance when you were 1 mile away from your house, you could have it poll location more frequent which could make your inner fence be more accurate. I miss this feature as it meant that it would trigger me being home as soon as I pulled in my driveway. Backitude I have to set a .5 mile radius, which means I could be at my mom's house 2 blocks away and it still considers me home. Of course I get so much more other data from BAckitude that it's stupid (Distance from home, course, speed, etc). It excels in other areas. I would use both if I could (Backitude and VeraProximity)

Quote:
Its important to note that the imperihome implementation is new and currently only does lights and outlets and thermostats as far as I know. @Spud is working on others, but due to the nature of HS and how it classifies devices, there will be considerably more setup to get it to work (define what is a door sensor, motion sensor, etc). Still, I'm excited about it.

I'm not gonna comment on your last part. I think that HS should hire you to be their evangelist! You are so passionate about HS and even some of the plugins. Its a great thing to see (I know there are plenty others on here who are the same way as well).

@integlikewhoa, I made the switch back in May during the 50% off sale. I loved it so much that even though I lost my job 2 weeks after buying it, I didn't even try and get the refund. I just thought it was that much better.

The Z-Net alone blows the Vera out of the water. With the Vera, my Front door lock (5' from the Vera) would constantly miss updates. Wit the z-net, not only does that look work great, but I have a lock across the house that also works just as great even though it's significantly further away!

My suggestion to you is to try moving a few devices over and test it out if you can. It's great. The only downside I see (And others may disagree) is the cost of the plugins. I have opted to not include certain things in my setup right now just due to the cost of plugins (Nest, NetAtmo, etc). I would assume that @spud will also charge for the Imperihome plugin, which will play into whether or not I use it (No offense @Spud).
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmeili View Post
I would assume that @spud will also charge for the Imperihome plugin, which will play into whether or not I use it (No offense @Spud).
No offense taken
I see the ImperiHome plugin as a good alternative for users who don't have the time or skills to build a custom HSTouch interface. With ImperiHome you can build a custom interface in a few clicks, it doesn't have the same level of customization than what you get with HSTouch Designer but it is far more user-friendly. So, the ImperiHome plugin won't be free, but I think it can save the cost of buying HSTouch Designer for some users.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No offense taken
I see the ImperiHome plugin as a good alternative for users who don't have the time or skills to build a custom HSTouch interface. With ImperiHome you can build a custom interface in a few clicks, it doesn't have the same level of customization than what you get with HSTouch Designer but it is far more user-friendly. So, the ImperiHome plugin won't be free, but I think it can save the cost of buying HSTouch Designer for some users.
I personally will use both. I have custom panels up already around the house, this to me is where HSTouch comes into play, make it look pretty since its visible and used almost daily.

I use HSTouch on my phone, but I don't have a custom interface since I like the idea of having control of everything at once... if needed. I hardly ever use my phone for control, so never saw the need to create a custom interface. This is where imperihome will get used. I can create something quick that works to control everything in the minor times i need it.
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Seer Master

Wow so much good info I'm not going to bother and try to quote each one of your responses so I apologize if this gets confusing on who is who.

More info on me. I have 3 vera's at 3 different locations. I'm an anti APPLE person, but I do manage apple apps for home automation as my parents use apple and one vera is at their house. So I need to cover both sides as much as I hate too. One of the houses is large and has a huge detached garage, casitas, restroom and all. Z-wave works out there but it has a cat6, Switch, and its own unfi AP's (2) out there and such. That has always been the weak area of the z-wave network due to distance from the house. A Z-Net out there would be nice. Other houses are fine with one central z-wave controller.

I have some very complicated PLEG's and it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem with the built in logic here, I just need to learn the ropes as it took me along time to get where I'm at with PLEG today.

Text and Email, I can't stand for recieving alerts. Pushover might be the solution.
Vera alerts I can get all my time stamps and listed of all my alerts in a nice organized list. As I'm sure Pushover can also. I can send a snapshot of the camera with the notification in vera alerts. Not sure yet if I can with pushover. Yes I use TTS with Vera Alerts my alerts are spoken out loud to me in a custom fashion "Motion On front porch". I'm thinking pushover can't.

Vera Proximity, as someone else mentioned I have real precise control over when it says I'm home. I have outside cameras that if I dive up or walk up I will get alerts if it doesn't know I'm home. I also have doors unlock automatically when I'm home. I can't have this happen 5 min after I'm home or 5min before I'm home. With Vera Proximity I can enable rapid update a mile out and when I cross the local fence it trips asap. I'm not sure what geofence apps also have something similer. I don't want rapid update 24/7 for battery drain issues but I also don't want a 5 min update when I get home either. I'm currently playing with tasker/autolocation to see if this can be accomplished. I'll have to research Backitude and PhLocation to see if either have any of these features. Ifttt may also have somthing, was hoping I may get pointed to what the majority seems to think it's the best to cut down on my research.

I played with HStouch awhile back ago (when i tried to switch then also) and I didn't use ti long enough to figure it out, but I couldn't get anything to work the way I wanted it then. Probley more video's and patients might help but I have parents on Iphones and I'm on Androids I manage both. I'm hoping I won't have to custom draw an app for both OS.

Price is an issue to some extent, but right now I feel like the apps are a hold back so far. I'm going to keep plugging away and try to get one house switched over working good to determine if it will work out for my wife, and if my parents can handle it an like it. Neither house has enough motions to do a full automation (no touch light switch), but it is something that in the future can happen.

As far as bashing VERA. I own 3 and I have a new one on order even tho I just got homeseer. Vera has it's issues for sure but it also has its perks. I have been lucky I guess since I know people have posted some really bad things had bricked devices and such. Even all my old vera's are still running and that how my parents got in. Handing down an old vera to friends and family has lead to them also buying one and now I have old ones and just bought the newest one.

I'm always looking for something better and in the past I thought homeseer was going to be it, I just hit to many roadblocks at that time, I'm hoping to jump in deep enough this time that I can work past those and either forget about what I used to have or fine something comparable or better. I already have A windows server at each house running Blueiris, Unifi and one with PLEX. So a windows and a computer running seems to fit me good already. I have not tried a z-net yet only a z-stick.

Thanks again Everyone and see you around!