detect presence of my car using RF device via rfxcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

detect presence of my car using RF device via rfxcom

Are there any good threads on this? Or is there a generally accepted 'good' way of doing this? eg. an Oregon temp sensor or Visonic device? I need to detect my or my girlfriends car arriving home within a few seconds (not minutes).

I had thought about using a Visonic device (eg. PIR), but they only send out status messages every 15 mins (unless triggered of course, which wouldn't be happening as it would live hidden away in the car)? Where as an Oregon temp sensor is about every minute, but has the disadvantage of much shorter battery life.

Any good ideas or if you can point me at any good threads...

Thanks
    Mike

I'd recommend looking through the CheaperRFID forum. Here's one thread that may help.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=144588

It takes some doing to get a reliable setup, but several people are using it with success. (also check out the BLRfid plug-in)

If you can share why you need to be able to detect the arrival of a car in such a short time window and what the physical parameters are, perhaps there are other potential solutions.

For instance:
    -What do you mean by 'arriving home'? In the driveway? In the garage? Engine shut off?
    -Is 'home' an isolated country estate? an apartment complex? a row house?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I use the Cheaper RFID tags in my cars. They notify Homeseer about 100ft before the car reaches the driveway. The lights turn on before the car enters the garage.

Works great as long as the car is parked in the garage or driveway.

Steve Q
      HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
      2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

CheaperRFID is the best way to go. Impressive range on the transmitters.

Another low-tech way to go is just to put a motion sensor in the car - either mounted under the dash at the driver's feet or on the visor aimed at the driver.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
        X