Event trigger when a dimmer is in the RANGE 1...255 for exactly X minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Event trigger when a dimmer is in the RANGE 1...255 for exactly X minutes

I want to turn off a dimmer switch after it has been on for exactly 5 minutes.
    You used to be able to specify a RANGE of values (1...255) but now you can't.

I know I can create a timer and then write several events to turn the timer on, off, and trigger the OFF when the timer hits 5 minutes. But that's a lot of work and I want to do this action on a number of dimmers so if there is a way to do this without timers that would be great.

I've read http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172750 but it doesn't go thru this level of detail.

The screen shot show what I want to do. The current event work ONLY if the dimmer is fully ON which is not the case 99% of the time. I can only specify a single dim level. I supposed I could enter 99 OR statements for each dim level.

Seems like a pretty basic thing everyone would want to do - am I missing something???
    Attached Files

The EasyTrigger plugin has a trigger called "This device's value has been in range [X,Y] for exactly..." that does exactly what you want

have a look here:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...39#post1170939

Comment

Originally posted by DrZWave View Post
      I want to turn off a dimmer switch after it has been on for exactly 5 minutes.
      You used to be able to specify a RANGE of values (1...255) but now you can't.

I know I can create a timer and then write several events to turn the timer on, off, and trigger the OFF when the timer hits 5 minutes. But that's a lot of work and I want to do this action on a number of dimmers so if there is a way to do this without timers that would be great.

I've read http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=172750 but it doesn't go thru this level of detail.

The screen shot show what I want to do. The current event work ONLY if the dimmer is fully ON which is not the case 99% of the time. I can only specify a single dim level. I supposed I could enter 99 OR statements for each dim level.

Seems like a pretty basic thing everyone would want to do - am I missing something???
      I recall seeing something like that before as well. Not sure if it was removed by accident or on purpose. As a work around would an event like this work for you:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1182130

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Delayed actions always seem to have a "ghost in the machine" feel to them.
        For example, using your example above, if I turn the light on, then 3 min later turn it off, then 1 minute after that, turn it on again, then because of the delayed event, the light will turn off after 1 minute instead of 5 - IE: there is a ghost in the machine and things are not operating as expected.

That's why the delay in the trigger is much better - it filters out all the on/offs until a real trigger has occurred.

I've asked HST if they can change the definition of IF ON to include 1...255 and not just 255. After all, that's what we really want - IF the light is ON (IE" any dim level from 1 to 255), then do the Action. You really would never want to compare if a light is EXACTLY 44% dim. At most you want a RANGE - 30%-60%. Doesn't appear there is any way to do this at the moment though!

Comment

That is true with delayed events so typically I use a cleanup event that cancels any remaining delayed events when the device is turned off. This has worked well for me, but I agree that the trigger you are looking for would be a cleaner way to do it. Hopefully it will get added (back).

Cheers
          Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
          X