ZEE/pi 3b vs 3b+ Slightly O.T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZEE/pi 3b vs 3b+ Slightly O.T.

When I bought my Zee ii I noticed it was a Pi 3B. So I bought another barebones Pi 3B to have as a backup in case the Zee ever failed. It works perfectly by just swapping the memory card from the Zee to the Pi 3B.

Now I see the 3B+ (plus) is out and I bought one hoping for faster speeds. But swapping the Zee B3 card into it the B3+ does nothing. The 3b+ won't work. Anyone know why?
    <style></style>

Try this:

1 - backup your SD Card
    2 - run it on the Pi 3 and
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo rpi-update
    3 - shut down your old pi and insert your SD card in to your new Pi
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Try this:

1 - backup your SD Card
      2 - run it on the Pi 3 and
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      sudo rpi-update
      3 - shut down your old pi and insert your SD card in to your new Pi
      Thanks Pete. Do I need to do step #2 with the Homeseer program shutdown?

<style></style>

Comment

I have not typically shut down Homeseer while updating / upgrading the Rpi OS.

Note that the Z2 Jessie build that was sold used a custom Mono version which could not easily be removed or updated.

Note if you have not done updated / upgraded it will take a while to do this.

Personally here run Homeseer 3 lite (Zee2 OS) on a Pine64 2Gb machine using a microsd card. It is running Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit server.

New generation Rock64 computer is the same size as the Rpi except default ram is 2Gb and optional ram is 4Gb. OS runs on an optional eMMC card or microSD card. Optional WLAN / Bluetooth card. A bit more than the base RPi.

Homeseer 3 runs on any Linux these days and the Rock64/ Pine64 are the first ARM based computers that will do 64 bit Linux. Mine has been running now for over a year. Not knocking the RPi here except that it only has 1Gb of RAM.

[ATTACH]67739[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by Pete; March 28, 2018, 10:25 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
          Thanks Pete. Do I need to do step #2 with the Homeseer program shutdown?

<style></style>
          The update went fine on the original P3-B and chip worked fine there. But when moved to the P3-B+ it doesn't work. Maybe the B+ needs a different O/S? I'm stumped.
          <style></style>

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post
            The update went fine on the original P3-B and chip worked fine there. But when moved to the P3-B+ it doesn't work. Maybe the B+ needs a different O/S? I'm stumped.
            <style></style>
            Found the reason it won't work:
            "IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see a rainbow splash screen with a lightning bolt symbol, this indicates you are NOT using B+ compatible software. NOOBS 2.7.0 or later is required for operation of the B+."

I don't suppose I can move my Homeseer software from one device to another without having licensing issues? <style></style>

Comment

I have not purchased the new RPi B+.

I don't suppose I can move my Homeseer software from one device to another without having licensing issues?

Just copy the entire Homeseer3 directory from your old RPi to your new RPi.

You will not have any license issues.

Here base desktops / laptops now run Linux and I a la carte Windows via virtual boxes.

In Ubuntu 16.04 desktop you utilize file manager connecting to the RPi via the connect to server command: (personally like this way better than using WinSCP on a windows desktop).

sftp://ip_of_homeseer3_server/root

You can connect to your two RPi's this way and just copy the directory like for like.

Note here replicate Homeseer users with RPi users.

Here utilize pete and homeseer users in HS3 and RPi.

RPi users are configured with RW rights to the default Homeseer3 directory.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pi 3 B+ needs latest Raspbian version "stretch". Zee S2 is on the older "jessie" version, so it won't work.

Comment

Is there an O/S image out there somewhere I can clone to the B3+ SD card to get it up and running?

Thanks!
                  <style></style>

Comment

@avpman,

I thought you built your new RPi from scratch rather than using the currently posted S2 RPi download.

Here have upgraded my RPi's now to Stretch.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on the current Pine64 (ARM) computer.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Is there an O/S image out there somewhere I can clone to the B3+ SD card to get it up and running?

Yes over here...

Raspbian Stretch Lite

After you download and install it then...

1 - change the default pi password
                      2 - add your users
                      3 - update and upgrade
                      4 - install Mono
                      5 - finally copy over your Homeseer 3 directory

You do all of the above via SSH - headless...the above will take a few minutes to do. Longest time will be relating to update and upgrading.

Mono takes 5 minutes to install. Look here to install current release of mono...

Stable Mono release is: 5.10.0 Stable (5.10.0.160)

do an apt-get install mono-complete and apt-get install mono-vbnc.

When you are all done then shut down the RPi. Remove the microSD card and image it over to your desktop.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Another thing you can do is update your RPi to Stretch in vivo...I have updated 4 RPi's here on line in vivo and they work fine.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Curious where you are at with your upgrade to the B+ project?

Personally as a learning experience I would build the B+ from scratch.

I am oversimplifying here as Homeseer 3 runs on any Linux these days.

1 - create a new B+ Stretch image on your new RPi
                          2 - install mono and Homeseer
                          3 - configure the Homeseer autostart.

Steps 2 and 3 can be done via SSH.

I earlier recommended the Rock 64 because it will run 64bit Linux and you can utilize an alternate to the SD card OS which would be eMMC (better RW stuff) and add a second NIC port to the device.

This could provide router functions, clock functions and Homeseer 3 in a tight little package that you can fit inside of your OmniPro media can.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                            Curious where you are at with your upgrade to the B+ project?

Personally as a learning experience I would build the B+ from scratch.

I am oversimplifying here as Homeseer 3 runs on any Linux these days.

1 - create a new B+ Stretch image on your new RPi
                            2 - install mono and Homeseer
                            3 - configure the Homeseer autostart.

Steps 2 and 3 can be done via SSH.

I earlier recommended the Rock 64 because it will run 64bit Linux and you can utilize an alternate to the SD card OS which would be eMMC (better RW stuff) and add a second NIC port to the device.

This could provide router functions, clock functions and Homeseer 3 in a tight little package that you can fit inside of your OmniPro media can.
                            Thanks Pete!
                            The B+ is a 64bit processor so I'd rather stay on Stretch.
                            <style></style>
                            Last edited by avpman; April 12, 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Yes the RPi B+ is a 64 bit CPU but Stretch is still 32 bit and most likely will remain at 32 bit until the RPi4 is released with more RAM (hoping for 4Gb).
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X