No announcement yet.

Out of date instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, why don't you put stuff in the thread I'm gong to start.
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Knowledge Management

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
      IMO the critical piece that is missing for HomeSeer is a resource to "own" the information source, whether it be a WIKI or a curated message board. . .or something else. Without someone accountable, the job is left for "someone else" to do.

The accountable person could even be a volunteer, but without that key resource I'm pretty sure what we have now is what we will have in the future - only with even more outdated and even misleading posts overwhelming key insights that simply get lost in the heap.
      Here Here! Isn't that @Rupp's job? If not, there should be a person with admin rights and sufficient knowledge of the history of said topic that can add a predefined comment / label that flags it as "old information" or similar - maybe move it entirely to an archive.

Knowledge management should be a paid position at a technology company.

Just my .03

Comment

Sweeeet!!!
        Finally someone has said something about this!
        The problem starts with the "HomeSeer General Discussion Forum". Why? Because it's where everyone goes to try and solve whatever problem they have. How many posts do see are sticky? Only one! I'm not saying there should any more but it was set up the wrong way! How? It's should be just a forums redirector in that it lists all technologies in groups in which they relate to and not to post anything there but redirect to the right forum!
        If one says am wrong the take look at this : https://forums.homeseer.com/index.php

If it's your first time here you are quickly thrown to the first link you see on the page. And then you go on meandering to who knows where! It's just like searching Google, the user is drawn to the first few links on top and you quickly forget what you were looking for! Advertisers pay good money for those spots just to make you confused!.
        But here it's not about the advertising but the format the way forums moderator created his work.

Now one can ask my reasoning on this but I can assure you that I have been in a situation where a user was mad at a plugin author for the luck help there was and I had to jump in to defend the author. Why? Not that I'm very knowledgeable but that I love to help. Because people spend a lot of time and money on things they think they can easily solve but soon find themselves in a pickle!

So what I did is to ask the plugin author to make some of the posts which had been discussed before sticky and no one gives him headaches anymore!

PROOF : https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=182704

To be simply put all discussions should be on their respective forums and thus reduce confusion and posts being buried deep down where they shouldn't be.

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Well, why don't you put stuff in the thread I'm gong to start.

Thank you Colin. Will do.

One thing that I would like to see relating to authoring plugins is how to make a windows HS3 plugin work in Linux.

Many folks now are switching to Linux and want to utilize the same plugins from Windows to Linux.

I got the beginning pieces of this document but it would required some plugin authors input for some basics.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X