best way running 2 RFXtrx433

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best way running 2 RFXtrx433

I would like to have 2 RFXtrx in 2 different locations due to comms problems with some devices. I guess it would be easier to have a always on PC at the second location, but that's not really an option for me, as I don't want to run a PC all the time just for that. Is there any other option ? I guess there isn't but just in case...

You can go light with a RPi and a ser2net serial tunnel.

You will need to keep the RPi powered up but it doesn't use that much power.

Or utilize two serial transceivers (network or wireless) which are just firmware but still require a power connection.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You can use a small Linux system,for example a RaspberryPI, and install ser2net.
      You can connect the RFXCOM over Ethernet.

Code:
      Disable Serial Console
      ======================
      sudo nano /etc/inittab
      insert a # sign in front of this line:
      T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100
      ctrl-O
      Enter
      ctrl-x 

Remove console
      ==============
      sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
      delete these 2 fields:  console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200
      ctrl-O
      Enter
      ctrl-x 

Add ser2net
      ===========
      sudo apt-get install ser2net

sudo nano /etc/ser2net.conf
      10001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

sudo /etc/init.d/ser2net restart

Autostart ser2net
      =================
      sudo nano /etc/rc.local

add the next line before exit o :
      /usr/local/sbin/ser2net -n
      If you want to connect a second RFXCOM on this system add:
      10002:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB1:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

Comment

I am looking into all these option. A Pi would probably best but I have no experience with Pi's. I might have found another easy solution (if it works). A USB via Ethernet device. So I could plug it in where I need it, and I also have wired Ethernet access and power there. So that could be an easy option.
        If I have 2 RFXtrx, they will both pick up my devices. How can I specify which of the RFXtrx I want for each device, or can both receivers work together ? How does that work ?

Comment

In the past I have run RFXtrx and older USB RFXCom units on various USB device servers including this cheap unit from Maplin with success.

One caveat with this method over the pi/ser2net way is that you need to run some driver software on the HS machine which basically converts the Ethernet connection to a COM port which the RFXCOM plug-in then connects to.

On the receiving side you don't link devices to receivers. A signal may well be picked up by multiple receivers or just one but the RFXCOM plug-in will handle that internally.

If you use the transmitters within multiple RFXtrx units then you will need to specify the transmitter to use for each output device.

Paul..

Comment

Comment

Mike,

My setup uses 2 (now obsolete) RFXLan units which are basically a 433 receiver, 433 transmitter, an 868 receiver and LAN interface all in 1 box. The setup within the RFXCOM plug-in is slightly different than with the RFXtrx but I suspect the result will be similar.

When you have multiple transmitters available the RFXCOM tab on each output device should look like the attached where you can specify the transmitter to use.

Paul..
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes I can see where you mean on my devices, obviously as I only have 1 at the moment (looking for a cheap one to come up on Ebay at the moment) there is only my current one to select. Once I put the other one on there will be 2 then and I just keep it as the first.
                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X