www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill Discussions regarding HomeSeer's Amazon Echo Skill

Old May 24th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Seer

Anyone using Amazon Echo as HS3 Speaker?

I have not been able to come by any definitive solution for using the Amazon Echo as a Speaker for HS3. Is anyone doing this in any capacity? (i.e. Bluetooth, API, Skill) I have been looking for a speaker for device status announcements like washer/dryer complete, etc. and the Amazon seems like it would be perfect for this.

Any ideas?
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Seer Master

I linked an Echo to my PC via bluetooth and sent announcements from HS3.

You need to have the Speaker.exe app for HS3 running.

As it's using the text to speech process in Windows, it doesn't sound like the Alexa voice however.

A nice feature in the Echo is when it receives the bluetoothed audio it turns down the audio it is currently playing in favor of the bluetooth one, then resumes the original audio afterwards.

It should work on a Linux box as well but I don't know the specifics regarding that.

website | products | support | youtube
I know nothing...., nothing!!!
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxatwell View Post
I have not been able to come by any definitive solution for using the Amazon Echo as a Speaker for HS3. Is anyone doing this in any capacity? (i.e. Bluetooth, API, Skill) I have been looking for a speaker for device status announcements like washer/dryer complete, etc. and the Amazon seems like it would be perfect for this.

Any ideas?
I think I read previously that some people had managed to link it to their HS3 machines with standard Bluetooth pairings. I tried that a couple of times, but my HS3 machine is too far away from my Echo. Worth a shot if your devices are close enough.
Old May 24th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Seer

Thank you, Shultz.

cheeryfool, I had the same thought. Especially once walls are between the units. Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:30 AM
Seer Plus

I have mine paired with bluetooth, and it works great. It is set to play certain audio files or read text to speech when exterior doors are opened, the alarm is armed or disarmed etc.
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:58 AM
Viewer

Has anyone thought about or tried using the Echo "Simon Says" feature to send HS speaker messages? It would be a hack but I am sure it could be done.
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Seer

Echo on a Linux HomeSeer

I have my echo paired on Linux as a bluetooth speaker and I can use it as the default sound device. So far the sound is clear and working nicely.
However I am new to HomeSeer and have not been able to get it setup as a speaker device.
I understand there is some way you can use Linux to do this. Can someone please advise how this can be done?
Old August 6th, 2016, 11:50 PM
Have A Blessed Day

What hardware / software is needed to connect HS speaker to use the Echo as a speaker?
My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, EasyTrigger, FBitSeer, HSTouch Server, Kinect, PHLocation, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2
Old August 7th, 2016, 04:35 AM
Seer

On Windows I'm sure you could just use Bluetooth and set it up as an output for hs speaker. Linux is more complicated as there is no hs speaker. It works using an AirPlay server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxatwell View Post

Any ideas?
Thank you for posting this question. I've been trying to figure out how to lower the kitchen PC footprint (aka reclaiming counter space) and this was the perfect solution. And I'm getting more use out of the Echo to boot.

This is why I read new posts every day or so. Never know what you are going to learn.

Barry
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Seer Master

For those who like projects, I came up with a process to have Alexa speak without a prompt, and it would be in the Alexa voice.

You first need a program or plugin similar to spud's Alexa plugin.

This plugin mimics an Amazon Echo, so it allows input from a PC micophone, and responds through the PC speakers.

Second you need to convert text to speech.
HS3 has that ability with the process HS.SpeakToFile(TextToSpeak, "", FileName).
That would get used in a script.

The last thing you need is an Alexa skill that can give you the audio you want.
I had thought about this awhile ago, and I added a function to the echo process call MirrorText. (you could build a lambda function that does this as well.)
This function simply responds with the exact same text that was sent.

The schema and utterance are:

{
"intents": [
{
"intent": "MirrorText",
"slots": [
{
"name": "TextToMirror",
"type": "LITERAL"
}
]
}
]
}

MirrorText {The Text|TextToMirror}

So, the whole thing works like this:
HS3 fires an event that runs a script to build an audio file.
The Alexa .exe takes the audio and sends it to the skill in the Alexa app at Amazon.
The skill sends the text to our echo processing site (or your lambda function), and gets back the exact same text.
The audio response is sent back to the Alexa .exe, which is then sent out the audio output of the PC via bluetooth.
The echo receives the bluetoothed audio and plays it.

The end result is that is sounds as if the echo has spoken without a prompt in the correct voice.
Old August 8th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Seer Deluxe

I'm really happy with a Bluetooth transmitter that's plugged into a small tablet there next to the Echo. Instead of the TTS coming from the crappy speakers in the tablet the Echo has its BT paired with the transmitter, Cost $20.

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.318
Hometroller S6 | Devices: 539 | Events: 176
Plug-Ins: Z-Wave .130 | HSTouch | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | BLLAN | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro Sonos
Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:09 AM
Seer

It looks like Amazon will help us rip out the bailing wire and duct tape used to attempt to make Alexa speak soon: http://lovemyecho.com/2016/09/13/ale...-talking-blue/

I think Alexa's IFTTT channel will support this by adding Actions. We'll be able to trigger canned speech via device toggles, IFTTT's action would contain the static notification text, Homeseer would send the device status change. Stone age, but functional day one.

Sgt, any word in the dev forums about allowing skills to push directly to Echo? Will we see HS3 event actions directed to Alexa with the same functionality as the Speak Something action?

Could HS's IFTTT channel be upgraded to receive a device string change trigger that can be sent to Alexa as a notification action?
Old September 22nd, 2016, 09:29 AM
Seer Master

We haven't seen anything yet from Amazon regarding push notifications.

As far as working it through IFTTT, an HS3 on/off device can be accessed through events, so pretty much anything in HS3 can cause a trigger in IFTTT.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:07 PM
Seer

Sure, loving IFTTT and virtual devices, and IFTTT off/on triggers give me mostly static text: If Homeseer device turned on Then Tell Alexa to Say This is my notification text. I can vary the text said with multiple virtual devices.

Next level would be: If a Homeseer device has its status text changed Then Tell Alexa to Say <that status text>. I can construct infinite status text and merge in momentary data.

I've got this rose-colored vision of Dots as speaker clients for TTS given Amazon's announcement of push notification for Echo.
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Seer Master

Regarding this post, would it be possible to utilize the microphone array from the Echo/Dot and feed it into HomeSeer for processing? Therefore, bypassing all of the Amazon cloud technology such that these devices would just be Bluetooth microphones for HomeSeer?

I would significantly prefer this over all of this cloud technology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
I linked an Echo to my PC via bluetooth and sent announcements from HS3.

You need to have the Speaker.exe app for HS3 running.

As it's using the text to speech process in Windows, it doesn't sound like the Alexa voice however.

A nice feature in the Echo is when it receives the bluetoothed audio it turns down the audio it is currently playing in favor of the bluetooth one, then resumes the original audio afterwards.

It should work on a Linux box as well but I don't know the specifics regarding that.
Old November 7th, 2016, 08:53 AM
OverSeer

In addition to my original Echo, I now have 2 Echo Dots. Is it possible to direct speech to multiple Echos. Does IFTTT allow more than One echo? Anybody have any experience with this?

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:14 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Q View Post
In addition to my original Echo, I now have 2 Echo Dots. Is it possible to direct speech to multiple Echos.
I think this will only be possible once Amazon enable push notifications to developers.

Old January 6th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Shultz View Post
For those who like projects, I came up with a process to have Alexa speak without a prompt, and it would be in the Alexa voice....
Wade, do you (can you) have this packaged up into something that could be used by anyone with minimal modification?
HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3
Old August 20th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Seer Deluxe

Bumping this back up... Anyone got it running using an Alexa skill or hack, not bluetooth?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk