www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Skill Discussions regarding HomeSeer's Amazon Echo Skill

Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:49 PM
Seer

Alexa Kill Switch

Is there a method to globally enable/disable the Alexa skill from within HS3? It would be useful for HS3 to selectively prevent an Alexa action from occuring (e.g., prevent the unlocking of a door after midnight).
Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:04 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyza View Post
Is there a method to globally enable/disable the Alexa skill from within HS3? It would be useful for HS3 to selectively prevent an Alexa action from occuring (e.g., prevent the unlocking of a door after midnight).
Se my answer to your post on IFTTT. Not as simple with Alexa but given that HS hasn't added the locks API yet it's a moot point. If there's something you don't want Alexa to directly control then uncheck voice control for that device and use a virtual device instead along with an event.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 09:51 PM
Super Seer

Another option (and this is what I do), I use Jon's Alexa script helper. This allows for you to have responses and respond to those responses.

Me: "Alexa, tell homeseer to disarm the alarm"
Alexa: "What is the passcode?"
Me: "Bob is your uncle"
Alexa: "Disarming alarm"

I don't think it ever wise to give direct control like "unlock door" to any voice activated device. And I think the alexa smart home API doesn't even allow for this (maybe lock, but i doubt unlock).
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:41 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehead99 View Post
Another option (and this is what I do), I use Jon's Alexa script helper. This allows for you to have responses and respond to those responses.

I don't think it ever wise to give direct control like "unlock door" to any voice activated device. And I think the alexa smart home API doesn't even allow for this (maybe lock, but i doubt unlock).
I personally would not add voice control for unlocking anything unless there was some kind of voice print validation. This might be because I have my house open parts of the year and you could be on my front porch and hear me give Alexa commands in my kitchen.

Locking is a different story. I don't think Alexa let's you unlock anything, but I believe it let's you lock (maybe not HSTs implementation).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old August 23rd, 2017, 11:45 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynehead99 View Post

I like the idea of using Jon's script. So far I've used it for simple stuff and for my locks I use Tasker triggers and quick tasks from our Android phones but going to try and mess with the response settings with his script.